Gardening.

I'm fuzzy in the morning too!

20201223_161205 (2).jpg

So this is a picture of the inside of the mushroom grow dome taken at 3:00 today.

Reactions: Angelapinks
I assume they will turn into something that looks like a mushroom?

20201228_173115 (2).jpg

Week two. A lot more fuzz. Still waiting for fruiting bodies (mushrooms) to form.

What if they change into mutant mushroom people?

Have not updated my mushroom farming in a while. I have not stopped to take a picture to post.

The one I started just grew a nice mate of white silky hairs and stopped. So when I saw another add for a different type of grow kit in a box I ordered that.

You pop out this window in the front of the box. Then take a sharp object (A knife, I am sure there is some legal thing that they could not say a knife) and cut an X in the plastic covering to the culture block. After that you place the block cut side down in a pan of water over night. in the morning you place the block back into the box with the X in the window and spray spray spray clean water on it to keep it moist.

Well I just put it into a 9x13 cake pan to soak and then back in the box. When I saw the add for this company again there was a how to video, and they put it in a wash basin and covered the whole block to soak, so i was worried that I screwed it up. Last Wednesday I went to spray it in the morning and low and behold there was three clusters of little black fingers. They double in size every day and today the window is completely covered with gray topped Oyster mushroom. I am starting to think about if I want sauteed mushrooms on a nice t bone or a cream of mushroom soup or shrimp chowder.

Oh ya the first kit.
Well the second kit said to keep the box facing away from the indirect light source, so I have it on the end of the small counter at the edge of the kitchen cabinets, and I placed the first kit on the "Dark Side" of the second kit. I have been spraying the top of the growth dome where the vent holes are and about the same time that the fingers appeared on the other kit one of the black dots in the first kit stared to grow some fruiting bodies (aka Mushrooms). There is only one big issue, they are straggly white and look nothing like the oyster mushroom on the other kit or that I have ever seen.

So when I harvest the first crop off the second kit, I am going to follow rule one of mushroom pickers. If You done know what it is or it does not look like the mushrooms near it DO NOT EAT THEM. So I will trash the kit wash the bio dome and will try to inoculate some hard wood shavings I have with medium form the second kit and see if that will produce anything.

Odd that the mushrooms would be different from box to box unless it was advertised as different.

So first off here are some pictures of the different kits.
20210208_125310(1)-1.jpg
The first kit and the mystery mushrooms.
20210208_125253 (2).jpg
The second kit and what Oyster Mushrooms are suppose to look like.
These mushrooms came off in 4 clusters and made 3 cups of diced mushrooms for the shrimp and mushroom chowder I made for dinner tonight.

If only you lived next door; I'd be over for some mushroom and shrimp soup! Sounds really good.

I got a second picking of mushrooms off of the one kit and am starting it again for a third.

I did so well with them that I ordered another kit last night and this time I did the order correctly so I will be getting another kit for free.

egor said:
IT snowed last week (that is our usual winter), So I got outside today, because the rain let up and worked on getting the blackberries trained for this years crop.

The third attempt at my celery experiment is actually working. I raised celery in a window garden for 2 years and loved the aromatic smell they produced. I do not know what went wrong but they died on me.

So I have tried twice before to grow a celery root that I got at the store and had no luck. I got a few leaves to start but then the root crown rotted and never started any roots. This time I bought one that has a good amount of plant crown on it and tried again. I have it propped up in an old food storage container and am using the waste water from our Bata fish tank. Roots are forming and leaves/ new stocks are growing. If I get it far enough I will pot it and trim stacks every so often.
I have started the celery a few times but after leaf and root growth they slowly die off so they never get bigger than 6 to 10 inches high.

egor said:
I got a second picking of mushrooms off of the one kit and am starting it again for a third.

I did so well with them that I ordered another kit last night and this time I did the order correctly so I will be getting another kit for free.
I got my second kit and started it. I gave the free kit to my oldest brother.

Wednesday evening I picked the first batch off the second kit and had a Bison burger with Sauteed Mushrooms for dinner.

Sounds good. I hope none of this will stress your knee.

So I am doing an experiment with the second mushroom kit.

It produced three batched of mushroom and the third kit is doing OK. I noticed that the surface of the kit is looking dried out and the white hype had retreated way back into the container. So I took the container from the first kit and open the package of the second kit and broke up edges of the block and filled the contain with as much as I could get in. I sprayed a lot of water onto it and put the lid on. As of today the hype is growing and will see if I get good mushroom or the strange white thing like I did with the first kit.

Is the strange white stuff a different kind of fungus?

dogboy said:
Is the strange white stuff a different kind of fungus?
In the case of the first kit (pictures are back in this thread) they grew and did not look like the Oyster Mushroom that grew on the second kit.

I have been to a couple mushroom shows and know a few pickers. The first , second and third rule of mushrooms is; If it does not look right and you do not know what it is DO NOT EAT IT!!!

I also knew a picker that was into Liberty caps and some other "psychedelic" mushroom and he made one mistake. It was only about 5 mushrooms and it took out his liver and he did not make it to the liver transplant even tho he was on the list.

add on.

The only mushrooms I have ever picked and ate was morrels and that is because they are the only one in that family and there are no look alikes.

The other ones I questioned and took to a person that was a trained Mycologist was the white mushrooms that grew in my barn. She was 90% possitive they where the edible mushrooms, but why she was examining them the fly larvae started crawling out of them and turned out they where loaded with these "maggots" so I passed

Last edited:
I can remember my mom telling me to never eat wild mushrooms. As little kids growing up with very little money, we knew how to forage in the woods but we also knew to stay away from mushrooms. I think every year there was a story in the newspaper of somebody dying from eating poisonous mushrooms.

Great job on the posts 👍🏻
Not too keen on mushrooms, myself: half-plant, half-fish (gills) and half-bacteria.......something doesn't add up 🤪

ade said:
Great job on the posts 👍🏻
Not too keen on mushrooms, myself: half-plant, half-fish (gills) and half-bacteria.......something doesn't add up 🤪
No no ade; it's mold like black mold that grows on condemned bathrooms. There's fungus among us. (Okay, it's fungus not mold but I think they're close) I like mushrooms however. Had them on my chicken tonight. Chicken in a crock pot with Campbells Golden Mushroom soup poured on top. More American ingenuity....sigh.

Well I have been working at it slow and steady since I was told I could go into the garden post surgical.

As of today 10 of 12 boxes have been weeded, 8 of 12 boxes have been turned at least once, 6 of 12 boxes have been turned twice, 1 box is planted with Walla Walla Onions and Asian Shallots, 3 boxes are set and ready to have tomatoes planted and 1 is set and ready for chili pepper plants. Some of the walk way has been tilled and covered in bark mulch and another large section has been tilled and ready for bark mulch.

The goal at this time is to have all of the boxes turned and planted on May 15th and the walkways leveled and bark mulched. Also I will have the water system set up and serviced for usage.

The only weird thing so far is that if I work on my hands and knees, my left knee feels like I am on a soft cushion and it numb. Which the Surgeon warned me about.

Back