• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Gardening.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I have been busy picling and canning over the last three weeks. Started out with two batches of Blackberries, then went straight into grapes, then the neighbor gave me all of his Blue Elderberries and after that I picked 20 lbs of tomatoes. I was going to pick more black berries, but ran out of jar lids, which was then fallowed by smoke so thick I could not breath outside for more then about 5 minutes.

When I picked the tomatoes, I noticed that the one pumpkin had turned orange, plus it was also covered in shield bugs (AKA Stink Bugs). I shook them off and moved the vine and pumpkin up into the planter to protect it. Last Sunday I was out washing the cat box out, so I decided that I might as well get good and congested on the smoke and at least water the peppers and tomatoes. I again noticed that the pumpkin had Shield bugs on it again. SO once again I shook them off and moved the pumpkin up into a crossed of "notch" of the corn stalks. Wednesday afternoon I was in the back yard to get the old garbage can for trash (another long story) and again noticed the pumpkin covered with shield bugs.

So I decided to just pick it. When I picked it up it seemed to be very soft shelled. I was worried about that. I finally got/took some time yesterday and processed it into puree. It yelled 3 cups of puree and it is as sweet as I expected.

Bottom line enough pumpkin puree for a pie on Thanksgiving!! :giggle:

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Cool on your garden Egor. I think I read somewhere that canned pumpkin for pies isn't pumpkin at all but sweet potato? How do your pumpkin pies turn out using real pumpkin?

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Cool on your garden Egor. I think I read somewhere that canned pumpkin for pies isn't pumpkin at all but sweet potato? How do your pumpkin pies turn out using real pumpkin?
Let me put it this way.

I have my mothers recipe.

I was once told by a friend that for the groups Christmas party he did not care if I had dog shit sandwiches in one had, I sure as hell better have one of the pumpkin pies in the other.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Let me put it this way.

I have my mothers recipe.

I was once told by a friend that for the groups Christmas party he did not care if I had dog shit sandwiches in one had, I sure as hell better have one of the pumpkin pies in the other.
Haha....yes, I understand that. My mother-in-law had a wonderful recipe for pumpkin pie. It was a Great Depression recipe because it didn't use any eggs. I guess eggs were a meal in themselves during the great depression. Anyway, you had to beat the mixture like hell, to quote my MIL. After she got too old to make the pies, my wife took up the task and they were wonderful. Now both are gone and so are those wonderful pies at Thanksgiving. Loss is such a terrible thing.