GameStop Xbox 360... RRoD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
So, we were at the mall today. Needless to say it was pretty packed. There's two gamestops in this mall. The first one, we just strolled in and checked out some stuff. We walked towards the back of the store -- what did we see? An Xbox 360... with three flashing red rings! xD. I busted out laughing. I asked the guy "so, when did your 360 red ring on ya?". He replied "a week ago."

I was dying.

So, we make our way through the mall, and two hours later on the way out we passed by the second store. Made our way inside just for shits and giggles, this one was a tad bigger than the other. Guess what? Walked to the back of the store... another RRoD'd 360!

Just priceless!

S

Secret

Imagine your xbox enclosed in a plastic case which only contributes to the heating problems that it already has and its also on for about 12-8 hours a day and little hooligan kids turning it off and on and messing with the system its gonna break eventually.

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
Imagine your xbox enclosed in a plastic case which only contributes to the heating problems that it already has and its also on for about 12-8 hours a day and little hooligan kids turning it off and on and messing with the system its gonna break eventually.
NO!! It is idiots who do not buy the fans, and cooling tower, then complain when it breaks because of that that are the problem.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
So, we were at the mall today. Needless to say it was pretty packed. There's two gamestops in this mall.
[font="Calibri,Arial"]i wonder why gamestop does that. In my town there are 2 in the one small shopping centre aswell and in dublin there is 2 on one block.[/font]

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Anyone want to guess how many times my PC RROD on me while playing video games like Bioshock,TF2, UT3 etc...

NONE.

Also it never BSOD on me ever asides twice and it wasn't even hardware problems, it was user error. Meaning it was my fault.

Oh also in my town there are 4 gamestop's from what I seen. There's two malls, right across the street from each other at that and in each there's a gamestop. Two blocks away from these mall's there's a gamestop.

Though all3 sotres were under diffrent compaines once upon a time. There was FuncoLand, Software etc, and gamestop. But gamestop but the two companies out and here we are with 3 game stops within a 1/4th a mile of each other. Funcoland was the best though, thankfully they kept their staff for a long time, but sadly it lost the funcoland appeal.

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
When I went to best buy on boxing day, both their 360 displays had the red rings. Their Wii, PSP and PS3 were just fine of course.

Literally, every person I know who's had a 360 for a significant amount of time has had it replaced. I can't imagine the amount money Microsoft must be losing on hardware costs. However, I've heard the latest model solves the red rings problem finally.

Still, I'm glad I got a PS3 last year. The thing is quiet, cool and rock solid.

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
NO!! It is idiots who do not buy the fans, and cooling tower, then complain when it breaks because of that that are the problem.
Yes and no. I'd blame the Engineers (not the consumer), but it's not even their fault, (let me explain). The people responsible for the Xbox360's problems, (the heating problems specifically), are the Microsoft Corporate workers. They basically wear neck ties and make big decisions like when a product will hit the market.

So in this case, the Microsoft Corporate people rushed the engineers to throw the system together too quickly, (just in time for that November deadline), so they could catch the holiday rush and boost their profits.

It's really sad that companies do this, that's why I like Apple. Even though I love the Xbox platform (because of Halo), I hate Microsoft with a passion. Mainly because of the Windows OS.

And please don't turn this into a Mac Vs. PC topic...

S

Secret

Good point but still there have been reports of it overheating even quicker with the fan attached. But not having a fan on the demo unit is not the stores problem its Microsofts problem. You see whatever product is seen inside the display demo case is basicly adviertising and why would microsoft want to give away free adviertising to NYKO or another fan maker when they could charge them instead? The store cant add stuff to the display, its kind of like a soda machine because there is one microsoft rep for a area and only they posses the key to the demo kiosk.

But still that many RROD in one day :laugh:

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
Good point but still there have been reports of it overheating even quicker with the fan attached. But not having a fan on the demo unit is not the stores problem its Microsofts problem. You see whatever product is seen inside the display demo case is basicly adviertising and why would microsoft want to give away free adviertising to NYKO or another fan maker when they could charge them instead? The store cant add stuff to the display, its kind of like a soda machine because there is one microsoft rep for a area and only they posses the key to the demo kiosk.

But still that many RROD in one day :laugh:
D: the red underlines!!!

The fans work(a lot) I have two for mine. I kept it on from when I got it to 3 days later playing it and it was still cool. The fans will not make it overheat quicker, for the fact they do not derive their power from the xbox itself. then there is the fact that it sucks the hot air out and filters cooler hair in.

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
The fact that you would be an idiot not to have fans is idiotic in itself. However, just open a 360 and PS3, and the quality difference in the engineering is obvious.
PS3 Original 60GB & 40GB: http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2903/07111120mb9.jpg
360 Regular & Elite: http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/20/360eliteanimated.gif

The PS3 has far fewer solid state components, and even has a certain beauty. The 360 looks rushed. For example, it's clear that Sony took the time to refine the PS3's board layout into something elegant, whereas the 360 is probably unchanged from the computer generated layout. You can see the extra thought and effort that goes into the Sony hardware, and the more expensive components. Whereas, Microsoft went with the cheapest thing possible, and now the consumer has to suffer for it. They are the Wal-Mart of consoles.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Yes and no. I'd blame the Engineers (not the consumer), but it's not even their fault, (let me explain). The people responsible for the Xbox360's problems, (the heating problems specifically), are the Microsoft Corporate workers. They basically wear neck ties and make big decisions like when a product will hit the market.

So in this case, the Microsoft Corporate people rushed the engineers to throw the system together too quickly, (just in time for that November deadline), so they could catch the holiday rush and boost their profits.

It's really sad that companies do this, that's why I like Apple. Even though I love the Xbox platform (because of Halo), I hate Microsoft with a passion. Mainly because of the Windows OS.

And please don't turn this into a Mac Vs. PC topic...
Its not even that, its shotty cooling systems that fail over time. The PS2 also had problems and I am on my 2nd PS2. Though I have had to open up this one at least 3 times to give it a proper cleaning and to recalibrate the laser, and no its not as hard as it sounds.

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Its not even that, its shotty cooling systems that fail over time. The PS2 also had problems and I am on my 2nd PS2. Though I have had to open up this one at least 3 times to give it a proper cleaning and to recalibrate the laser, and no its not as hard as it sounds.
Heating problems, cooling problems...whatever

Spiro910

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Public RRODing is weird, I think it's more a matter of luck, cuz I went to the mall and out of 4 consoles 1 had the RROD (and when I asked the clerk he said that the weird part was that all 4 consoles were put in at the same time in the xbox stand).

Role
Diaper Lover
I think I can see what Incomplete is talking about. I can't really tell, but PS3 Board looks prettier, and a more "efficient" layout, the 360 elite flipped up the rings, and put more copper on them. I have no idea what the hell those are BTW. X360 has a lot more capacitors, does that mean more voltage, therefore more fail?

Conclusion: I can tell the PS3 looks better, I can't tell why.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
We're not really looking at a broad enough picture here.

My Intellevision has never stopped working because of poorly engineered cooling bullshit. Therefore, it's clearly technologically superior to every other system to date.

Mysterious

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
Red ring strikes again! Now their tactic is to unload what they can for 200$ so they don't have to throw them away. I probably would have had a 360 by now and would be complaining about this by now if my money didn't go into guitar stuff. XD

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
As MM3 knows, my son who is an avid 360 x-boxer is on hard drive #3, and he has always had a fan. They probably should have designed it with a larger case, and a fan of course. At school where I do IT, we had Gateway computers. They would would go through fans like you wouldn't believe. Some things are just designed poorly. We now have HPs and are going through hard drives! You should hear them grind on start up!

Role
Diaper Lover
A computer that goes through fans? I would make lulz if the cause of the failing fans was too much heat. As for hard drives GRINDING... how are those computers still working?

S

Secret

Well its at least not as bad as the whole Zune new years debacle, (gtg make a thread about that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.