France study shows dangerous chemicals in Nappys

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46972330

They didn't say which brands were tested, but apparently some of the Nappy brands available on the French market (which may also be available in other countries as well) contain a chemical in Weed Killer (like Roundup).

The companies making these nappies have been given I think it says 15 days to come up with a cleanup plan to deal with this problem.

The United States claims the chemical in Roundup Weed Killer is a carcinogen (Cancer Causing Agent) and there was a Groundskeeper that ended up with Terminal Cancer whom went to court (in The United States) and sued Roundup for contributing to his Terminal Cancer, and he was awarded millions of dollars.

Most of Europe disagrees, stating it doesn't cause cancer and they allow free use of that chemical, which is apparently on it's way to being banned in France.

Last edited:
I've used Roundup in the past and wasn't happy to find out it's a carcinogen. I think it has mostly effected farmers and landscapers who use a lot of it. Odd that it would find itself in diapers.

Reactions: CrinklingCajun
If I remember right it was found to be "probably" carcinogenic. Monsanto is the only one they went after, the makers of Roundup, and plenty of other companies have a generic product of Roundup that no one else seems to be going after.

dogboy said:
I've used Roundup in the past and wasn't happy to find out it's a carcinogen. I think it has mostly effected farmers and landscapers who use a lot of it. Odd that it would find itself in diapers.

Yeah I have no clue what (the main chemical of) Weed Killler in any form is doing in Diapers and I think its obvious that such a toxic chemical shouldn't be in Diapers, I mean think about it; it's a chemical meant to kill things (even though those things are the weeds nobody wants on their lawns), so obviously you have to wonder how such a chemical could be in something meant to be used by Babies; something they go through Thousands of in the first 2 or so years of their lives.

So this means we should all stop wearing diapers? It's pretty scary to find such a carcinogen in a absorbent product that's usually worn by babies (in their first 3 years of life) as well as incontinent people and AB/DLs.

Last edited:
bigtoddler96 said:
So this means should we all stop wearing diapers?
Im 99% sure you are joking.

but 2 things to note

1. The article is about what is readily available on the French Market
2. They are talking about Baby Diapers

BabyTyrant said:
Im 99% sure you are joking.

but 2 things to note

1. The article is about what is readily available on the French Market
2. They are talking about Baby Diapers

I know I would never give up diapers. Just the big brand baby diapers, not the AB/DL/incontinent diapers.

Last edited:
bigtoddler96 said:
Just the big brand baby diapers, not the AB/DL/incontinent diapers.

I would imagine the Big Brands would know better, but we don't really know what Diapers have the Chemical from Weed Killer in them, I think they didn't list the brands because they probably would be facing legal action from those companies due to the backlash those Diaper companies would face, if they stated what brands were guilty.

I can only imagine "Pampers Diapers have Weed Killer chemical in them" on the news.

Next thing you know nobody is buying Pampers and every parent tells all their friends with young children to not buy Pampers brand diapers.

It would be catastrophic and then Pampers would be suing the French Health Administration.

Last edited:
I must say I have been thinking about this topic, but more with regards to the ABDL targeted adult diapers... all these relatively new brands, apparently mostly made in China (?)... plastics.. oil..chemicals... Plastic toys from there have been found to contain many toxins...

Hope I am completely wrong here... :rolleyes::censored:

Soakingboy said:
I must say I have been thinking about this topic, but more with regards to the ABDL targeted adult diapers... all these relatively new brands, apparently mostly made in China (?)... plastics.. oil..chemicals... Plastic toys from there have been found to contain many toxins...

Hope I am completely wrong here... :rolleyes::censored:

I dont think our ABDL Diapers would contain anything bad such as the Weed Killer chemical the France Health Administration apparently found in their local Baby Diapers; or any other kind of Toxin for that matter.

Haha This famous article is not that it's been at least a year since it tests for that, but the best solution is to no longer use the vegetable pulp. There are vegetable alternatives it's not a disintegrates that takes up much less space and is also effective.

trysexiea said:
Haha This famous article is not that it's been at least a year since it tests for that, but the best solution is to no longer use the vegetable pulp. There are vegetable alternatives it's not a disintegrates that takes up much less space and is also effective.
Weed killer is vegetable pulp? Wrong topic?

On the subject of how something like glyphosate could end up present in diapers, did you know that your body naturally produces formaldehyde a known human carcinogen? Even more fun, one of the more common biological precursors is ethanol. The structure of glyphosate isn't terribly complex, I can easily see if being an unintended product of any number of reactions involving stuff you do want inside the diaper.

When it comes to determining whether or not something is a carcinogen, the most common metrics refer not to how likely a compound is to cause cancer but how strong and rigorous the studies of whether or not it can. Which is to say, if large number of well-designed studies with repeatable results show that absurdly large doses (like say six gallons of a day for nineteen years) cause cancer, then that substance gets the strongest rating, regardless of the fact that it will likely never be responsible for more than maybe three cases in a century.

I'm surprised more people don't use natural pesticides such as diatomacous earth, given how effective it is.

BabyTyrant said:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46972330
The United States claims the chemical in Roundup Weed Killer is a carcinogen (Cancer Causing Agent) and there was a Groundskeeper that ended up with Terminal Cancer whom went to court (in The United States) and sued Roundup for contributing to his Terminal Cancer, and he was awarded millions of dollars.

Most of Europe disagrees, stating it doesn't cause cancer and they allow free use of that chemical, which is apparently on it's way to being banned in France.

Environmental Scientist here(sub specialty---Risk Assesment and Hazardous Waste MGMT)

Probable carcinogens can be literally ANYTHING. If you expose say patient "X" to a concentrated dose of tomato juice and that person develops a cancer as a direct result, you can by definition call tomato juice(or whatever) a probable carcinogen----even if your sample group size was one person. It's kind of a misnomer when you hear the buzz world "Cancer Causing Agent"....because literally anything on the planet can give you cancer.

It's like the talc problem. Everyone freaked out and quit using regular talc powder and switched to cornstarch. In order to expose yourself to levels that might cause some sort of problem you'd literally need to snort the stuff like a cocaine addict regularly for a few years.

Read articles on median lethal dose(LD50) vs lethal dose for most products and you'll most certainly debunk most of the stuff you hear on the news.

You would think the Roundup chemical would cause more problems to a baby's skin than to cause cancer. Yeah, it probably came on board via plant pulp processing. I wonder what the dosage is?

Many lab tests use mice to find out if a chemical is cancerous or not. I wonder though, why has nobody ever done a controls test to see how common it is for mice to naturally get cancer.....

Traemo said:
On the subject of how something like glyphosate could end up present in diapers, did you know that your body naturally produces formaldehyde a known human carcinogen? Even more fun, one of the more common biological precursors is ethanol. The structure of glyphosate isn't terribly complex, I can easily see if being an unintended product of any number of reactions involving stuff you do want inside the diaper.

When it comes to determining whether or not something is a carcinogen, the most common metrics refer not to how likely a compound is to cause cancer but how strong and rigorous the studies of whether or not it can. Which is to say, if large number of well-designed studies with repeatable results show that absurdly large doses (like say six gallons of a day for nineteen years) cause cancer, then that substance gets the strongest rating, regardless of the fact that it will likely never be responsible for more than maybe three cases in a century.
Wow also defending Monsanto a company that was sooo truthful they need a protection bill, signed by Barrack Obama. Talk about example of conflict of interest. Oh and Traemo would you like to explain why Monsanto created agent orange in Vietnam War and now is in charge of handling our food? Isn't that a bit concerning to you a previous, "chemical warfare company" is in charge of our food? Do you have the slightest bit of suspicion, or any ability to understand common sense or listen to your gut something is NOT right? Nope everything all ok right Traemo? Corruption, misleading data, omitting data for political motivation, does not exist in Traemo world.

BabyTyrant said:
Yeah I have no clue what (the main chemical of) Weed Killler in any form is doing in Diapers and I think its obvious that such a toxic chemical shouldn't be in Diapers, I mean think about it; it's a chemical meant to kill things (even though those things are the weeds nobody wants on their lawns), so obviously you have to wonder how such a chemical could be in something meant to be used by Babies; something they go through Thousands of in the first 2 or so years of their lives.
Its because almost all cotton used is GMO. Monsanto designed their crops to secrete its own pesticide, "glyphosate". The cotton plant, corn, etc are designed to secrete this chemical. Thats why its in our diapers and almost all women's products which also caused ovarian cancer. Stuff is nasty as hell and can't believe USA hasn't outright closed Monsanto down! Almost all of europe banned them but course Obama signed the protection act to protect from being sued. I mean that alone should make people hesitant of trusting Monsanto! I hope they get sued for billions and burn to the ground!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 44078
Oh, you did not . . .
Among other things, I've has several years of chemistry, biology, and physiology at the post-secondary level. So, I'm not relying on innuendo, logical fallacies, and implications. And while I recognize there's quite I bit I don't know or understand properly, that still leaves quite a bit I do know and understand.
MrGnome said:
Oh and Traemo would you like to explain why Monsanto created agent orange in Vietnam War and now is in charge of handling our food?Isn't that a bit concerning to you a previous, "chemical warfare company" is in charge of our food?
Explain, at length and using small words, exactly how those two facts are at all related or relevant to one another. Oh, and try not to make any more mistakes (Monsanto, founded 1901, is chemical manufacturer the same as Dow, Merck, or Aldrich-Ames).
MrGnome said:
Do you have the slightest bit of suspicion, or any ability to understand common sense or listen to your gut something is NOT right?
Because I can, and do, apply critical thinking, logical analysis, and a broad education to considering whether to not something is true or even a problem, clearly I'm incapable of recognizing problems? Let's face it, you haven't managed to supply anything other than "because I said so" as support for any of your claims. You're relying on numerous logical fallacies (here, attacking me, above false correlation), scare tactics, and claims of conspiracy as "evidence." Where as I've provided, more than once, actual, falsifiable, quantifiable data to support my positions. You'll get farther in life if you don't react like a toddler to everything.
MrGnome said:
Nope everything all ok right Traemo? Corruption, misleading data, omitting data for political motivation, does not exist in Traemo world.
I suppose I could subscribe to the working theory that everyone is acting maliciously and actively out to harm me. There's no evidence to support that position. Using it experimentally as working theory produces large quantities of contrary data. But I suppose that could be because it's really a conspiracy to hide all the hate against me - They only act against me when I'm not looking so I'll never suspect Them.
Or, I could assume that people are people: mostly trying to get by and do a decent job. Yeah, some are Bad Actors (Andrew Wakefield, mass murderer, come to mind). Some people are horrifically ignorant (no names). But generally it's much easier to make it through life assuming that until evidence suggest otherwise people are basically decent.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back