Forum For Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
... And the simplest (technically speaking) change EVaR to effect.

Let's change the name of Greetings/Introductions to: NEWBIE FORUM.

1. VIP's and Regulars have their own forums; this would imply that newbies have equal standing as "members" and be an anti-elitist gesture, making them feel they ARE members, rather than components of a soon-to-be-member subclass, lining up in their civvies to get their uniforms and ID tags.

2. There is a need for newbie threads: dealing with newbie issues in general, like their own questions: How do I get to become a regular, and the like. But more than that, as was said by certain masked people... and by Lukie... http://www.adisc.org/forum/regulars-forum/11748-who-trustworthy.html that getting to know people - newbies getting to know the rest of us and us, them, is key to our being a functioning social site.
2. (cont'd) By renaming the forum "Newbies" we could include threads that deliberately get newbies involved in exploring the forum, and participating in it. Most of them come in and think there is little to talk about at first, or can't think what to put in an intro post, other than fetish-related personal stuff. And of course, sometimes all they can think of to write are the tales that some assume to be fap-fantasies, and the poor ol' newbie gets flamed. Instead of just preaching "Don't flame the newbies," let's ALSO create an environment that prompts newbies to participate, by showing, not just telling them, what sort of things they might speak about.

2.1 Say, treasure hunts, where they travel about, collecting points or some such, by visiting blogs, wiki, and whatever other places they can access. They should be led through a trail that involves using each functional item in the site: look at an image; report a post; rep a member; PM someone; make a wiki change (maybe they would be provided with the change to make to the wiki,) make a visitor comment, talk in irc... This is based partly on the intent of my "cite improvement" thread - to get people to travel and experience the site - but mostly on the ideas behind alternate reality gaming. (link soon)

2.2 Ask-a-member: Subsection 1: The newbies are given the opportunity to ask where they can find info on [their choice of question] - and a member answers, not by posting an answer, but by posting url's to threads/posts.

Subsection 2 of this is to get them to ask ,"Whom do I talk to about a particular subject?" - not just diaper-specific subjects or site-specific subjects, but anything-specific subjects: politics, economics, math homework, the finer points of Halo 3, which furcons are recommended, how to get from Picadilly Circus to East Finchley via the most scenic route, what cool stuff is worth going out of one's way to see on Foreign Idol (American, British, Hungarian) - the idea being not just to answer pointed questions but for newbies to start conversations with fellow like-minded members.

When a member answers a newbie by saying "Talk to such-and-such person(s)" they should of course check via PM if such-and-such wants to be nominated as the resident psychologist, fur-suit maker, Australian slang-speaker, raccoon behaviorologist, dog-trainer, or train-spotter. Or they might volunteer as the person (or persons) to ask: thanks Mesmerale, I had forgotten to include this point :)

Thus we create an ad-hoc mentoring system: better than assigning mentors, or thrusting it all on the mods, or having a greeting committee, an idea I proposed long ago that never got off the ground. And thus we get newbies to get to know better both individuals and the site itself, in all its diverse splendor.

3. I would already have put these threads in regulars' forum, but newbies would not be able to access them; I tried putting a thread for newbies in introductions but 1. It wasn't an introduction thread, and 2. its subject matter defined it, under our current structure, as belonging to Admin Stuff, where a mod quite correctly put it. We need a home for non-introductory newbie-specific threads.

4. Newbies might feel more comfortable talking to each other than other members, at first. This forum would also be a locus of newbie thoughts, impressions, complaints, compliments, and opinions: and say, if the newbies had a shared issue it would be visible. Rarely in Regulars' forum or VIP's have I seen a member say, "Five weeks ago I had such-and-such a newbie issue I now want to discuss..."

5. One of the very important issues across the site, and especially for newbies, is whom to "trust" and how to figure out who is trustworthy. Perhaps with some guidance they would feel less trepidation about opening up and participating. Here I repost one particularly excellent Lukie-post, replete with my own thoughts. I think a summary of it should be posted specifically to newbies, but as yet they lack their own forum... And some sort of auto-pm would be harder to implement...
http://www.adisc.org/forum/regulars-forum/11748-who-trustworthy.html

So onwards and upwards. There is much work to do on the part of many people, me included, but I foresee a thriving ADISC fulfilling the various goals Moo set out, implicitly and explicitly, where newbies & VIP'S alike co-exist in harmony and with mutual benefit.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Raccoon, I love this idea. :)

And I'd love to be a part of the whole "Ask-a-member" deal. :D

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Isn't the "Off Topic" board basically a "Newbie" board? I don't like the idea of changing the name of the greetings board, because the board is actually for greetings. I also don't think we should make a new board just for Newbies. Anything they have to talk about should fall into the boards we have available, and before they know it, they'll become a regular.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Isn't the "Off Topic" board basically a "Newbie" board? I don't like the idea of changing the name of the greetings board, because the board is actually for greetings. I also don't think we should make a new board just for Newbies. Anything they have to talk about should fall into the boards we have available, and before they know it, they'll become a regular.

Not really. We're in the "Off Topic" board 98% of the time, are we all newbies?

I agree about the idea of completely changing the name of the board being a bit much, but honestly, a subforum couldn't hurt. (Yes, yes, I know, too many forums will clutter blah blah blah.)

But you know what? The Greetings and Introductions forum is supposed to be for newbies, so why the heck can't there be a subforum inside of it where they can just talk for a week? Yes, I know, a week is fairly short, but it can't do anything negative to the site, as far as I can see.

We're all about thinking up new ideas and trying to help out and such.

Well here's an idea, and, personally, I think it could work. Let's at least try it.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur

There are of course points in favor of the present structure: it has worked, and worked well up until recently. This does not mean there are not improvements to be made, especially concerning newbies.

How would you get them, in the first place, to go to "Off Topics?" How would you prevent their threads from being buried quickly? How would their important issue threads be distinguished from the other Off Topic threads? How would attention be drawn to those threads? And would this not trivialize their threads by relegating them to the same status as "Why Halo 2 beats Halo 1" or "What do you think of Obama?" CF point #1, post #1...

I don't like the idea of changing the name of the greetings board, because the board is actually for greetings

This is circular reasoning.

The forum would still contain greeting threads, of course. Renaming the forum or adding a sub-forum... either would work, but I think the original idea is more elegant. If newbies posted without an intro first, they could be reminded; many do so anyway as regulars and later remember to make an intro thread.

Remember Moo asked us to go out of our way to look for newbie threads with few existing replies;
the proposal would add to the replies to one newbie because they would get intro-thread replies from other newbies, it being their forum and all.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
How would you get them, in the first place, to go to "Off Topics?" How would you prevent their threads from being buried quickly? How would their important issue threads be distinguished from the other Off Topic threads? How would attention be drawn to those threads? And would this not trivialize their threads by relegating them to the same status as "Why Halo 2 beats Halo 1" or "What do you think of Obama?" CF point #1, post #1...

Hopefully the newbie will have an intelligence high enough for them to realize that threads that aren't about this fetish go in to the "off topic" board. If a person's thread doesn't have many replies, then there's probably a reason behind it. I mean, how many threads made by newbies are ignored? I'd say not that many, as many people check all the new threads and replies. Attention is drawn to threads, usually by titles, and even then, people are bound to read them. It feels that you're overcomplicating things. Newbies aren't stupid (well some are, but it's not limited to newbies). I think many newbies are perfectly capable of putting threads where they belong.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
It's not a matter of low or high intelligence, it is a matter of guidance and education. We have our own ways, and learning them isn't picked up on by reading posts, nearly as much as actually participating. I'm trying to flatten the learning curve here...

Klokwork

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
I don't know... On one hand It would be convenient to have all the newbie discussions in one place. Plus, this place is often criticized by other forums of being cliquey. I also like the idea of sauntering into a tread knowing that I'm the shit, as far as the tread starter is concerned.

However, being a newbie would be like being the member of a JV sports team in high school: You're not really a member of the team. You don't get to hang out with the awesome guys, or be criticized for things you need help with. Do interns get their own hospital? No. They're doctors too. Besides, It's not like we have high standards for behavior that take a while to get used to, just be a genuine person (or furry, I guess).

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
It's not a matter of low or high intelligence, it is a matter of guidance and education. We have our own ways, and learning them isn't picked up on by reading posts, nearly as much as actually participating. I'm trying to flatten the learning curve here...

Is there even any learning curve? I mean, how hard is it really to figure out a forum? I can understand for older people who are new to the internet in general, but it's really not that hard to figure out. I don't think we've even had any problems in the past with this...

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Is there even any learning curve? I mean, how hard is it really to figure out a forum? I can understand for older people who are new to the internet in general, but it's really not that hard to figure out. I don't think we've even had any problems in the past with this...

Even if we didn't have a forum or anything, I still love the idea of having like, activities and stuff...

Maybe I just like parties. :)

Klokwork

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
WE HAVE SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!

photo05.jpg

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Because it's a diaper site. If you want a site for fun and games, then Google one. There are tons

We're more than a diaper site, and you know it.

If you want a diaper site, go to DiaperSpace.

We're a community, and the fact that we have, roughly, 4 religion threads per month ought to say something about that.

A

aj1983

There is already a Newbies Questions sticky-thread in Greetings/Introductions, I just ask my newbie questions there or in chat and get an answer almost instant. So from the point of view from a newbie (regular member as of today, yey) I think the current system is otays :thumbsup:

I would just suggest having a more indepth introducation and FAQ about the forum all in one place or page, almost all the information/questions are already on the site, but as a newbie it can take a bit of digging before you are able to find it sometimes. (like some answers i found in announcements, some in administation, some in newbie questions, etc). Perhaps someone who has a few days to kill could centralize all those questions and answers on to one page if they really felt the need :D

Status
Not open for further replies.