Forced to use diaper and catheter in hospital

Diaperman95 said:
Nope I had it doen twice I had both hips redone this last year in two different surgeries and the told me to strip all the way down I was on a bed pad before surgery and I used the restroom to before changing. Then you figure nothing to eat or drink after mid night I didn't have a lot anyway but they placed a Foley when they put me under and pulled it after I was awake. I also peed during a colonoscopy once they never said anything but I was in a different color gown when I woke up I kinda felt like I had to pee before they put me under and was fine after surgery So I assume that's what happened. But they never even told me if I did. I even asked a nurse if I had peed she said she wasn't in the OR when I was having my test but it happens all the time and most the time they just clean you up and wont ever try and embarrass you. I guess on the hip surgery he wanted me not in a diaper because they cut you right in the groan area to insert the camera and tools. It all was a waste of time and money anyway because it hurts worse now than before and the necrosis they repaired with epoxy is already rotting out a year later .He told me I would get ten years out of it If I let him try and save my hip. I wish I would of just replaced it last time it had about the same amount of down time but I would not be doing it again.
Always remember your surgeons new house in the hamptons doesn’t happen if 1 surgery doesn’t lead to 2 , 3, 4 etc etc .
The prognoses of improvement on a 1 and done surgery seldom live ups to what they promise .

Diaperman95 said:
Nope I had it doen twice I had both hips redone this last year in two different surgeries and the told me to strip all the way down I was on a bed pad before surgery and I used the restroom to before changing. Then you figure nothing to eat or drink after mid night I didn't have a lot anyway but they placed a Foley when they put me under and pulled it after I was awake. I also peed during a colonoscopy once they never said anything but I was in a different color gown when I woke up I kinda felt like I had to pee before they put me under and was fine after surgery So I assume that's what happened. But they never even told me if I did. I even asked a nurse if I had peed she said she wasn't in the OR when I was having my test but it happens all the time and most the time they just clean you up and wont ever try and embarrass you. I guess on the hip surgery he wanted me not in a diaper because they cut you right in the groan area to insert the camera and tools. It all was a waste of time and money anyway because it hurts worse now than before and the necrosis they repaired with epoxy is already rotting out a year later .He told me I would get ten years out of it If I let him try and save my hip. I wish I would of just replaced it last time it had about the same amount of down time but I would not be doing it again.
that really sucks :( such implants are supposed to last longer, but today nothing is made long-lasting anymore it seems.
But you're right, for such surgery a diaper is impossible, it's like the nurses always told me (at least here in belgium): if they don't need to cut or work (endoscopically) in or really close to your groin (and thus they would not risk getting bacteria in the wound, then they never object here that you wear a diaper when incontinent, otherwise a foley is indeed required.
But some hospitals do it anyway and that's what I object against.
Suppose they'd cath me for no reason I'd end up with a lot of scar tissue again if done in a hurry.

Reactions: tobid03
I had a catheter for a few days because of surgery when I was a teenager. Aside from the pain and nausea from the surgery, I loved being in the hospital. It was a children’s hospital and a very good one too.

Of course I read up on the pre-surgical instructions, and at that time, they had a list of stuff to bring. One thing that stuck out to me was diapers even for potty-trained children. Being a teen, obviously my parents didn’t bring diapers for me, but I could dream. Coincidentally, I had some diapers and baby supplies hidden away at the time.

I had my own private room with all the cable channels I didn’t get at home (I took in a lot of HGTV.) and had great meals (at least to me) delivered.

The worst part of the catheter I remember is once, my bladder was feeling full, but I was unable to release any pee until the nurse came by to empty the container.

After the catheter got taken out, I got a jug so they could measure my pee output.

I wish I could have gotten diapers though. I wonder what it would have been like if I was still a bedwetter at that time.

I loved all the touches that they did to make the hospital experience better for children. A choice of scent for the anesthesia mask though I refused because I was afraid of getting nausea. J-tip's to make needles less painful. Every few days, some people would come by to "cheer me up" and give me a gift. I got a teddy bear and a security blanket out of that. I loved that teddy bear for a few years until I purged my stuffed animals to go to college. (Don't worry, I had a replacement in a year and most of my stuffed animals were rescued by my sister.)

Unfortunately, I got constipated during the stay and didn't go for 5 days. The PA wasn't worried though because I was still "tooting," but it was awful one I finally was able to go. It took several attempts, and I didn't have anything to help it along.

I had another surgery a few years later, but that was a quick in and out. I was surprised when they released me so quickly. I was thinking, "But I'm not ready..." On the way out, they let me have my choice of a stuffed animal since it was the children's wing, but I refused since I didn't need another stuffed animal and was almost an adult. Looking back, I'm shaking my head and laughing at myself.

I always wondered if nurses and hospital staff felt odd offering stuffed animals and security blankets to teens and near adults.

Last edited:
I had the opposite problem after surgery, i asked for Foley or ISC and got a pee-bottle, that did not work well because of my Detrusor-Spincter-Dysfunction, so i got terrible pain in the bladder (perhaps it is IC also). Well, next time i will bring my own catheters and diapers also.

When i had heart surgery this summer i woke up with a catheter, i expected it. When i had my heart surgery 30 years ago i was cath'd too, but i was so high on drugs that i don’t remember them taking it out.

I have played with cath’s before so i know the feeling of having one in, but was trying to see what size they used, but was never left alone long enough to explore (plus i was so dang sore). I was fully awake when they removed the chest tubes, pacer wires and catheter.

They had me laying on an incontinence pad the covered the entire bed and used it as a draw sheet to lift you in bed. One time my nurse was looking at my chart and commented ‘you’re not incontinent are you??’ Which leads me to believe that somewhere on my chart my diaper wearing to appointments and procedures was noted. It was about 3 more weeks before i was able to get into my own bed and get diapered.

Tetra said:
Always remember your surgeons new house in the hamptons doesn’t happen if 1 surgery doesn’t lead to 2 , 3, 4 etc etc .
The prognoses of improvement on a 1 and done surgery seldom live ups to what they promise .
You got that right. A lot of truth to what you said. I will end up with more surgery in the near future but it won't be the same doctor. I mean read horror stories online about avascular necrosis treatment going wrong and let him talk me into it anyway. The blood flow to the head of my femoral head is some how damaged and caused a hole to rot out of the center of the bone. They drill holes to try and get blood flow back and the ream out and cut away all rotted bone and inject a epoxy back into the hole. He said it will give you a good ten years and then you can get a new hip and you should be good for life. He told me they don't like to have to replace replacements and my age was a huge factor. Here I am early 40's and he said that if I was 50 he would not even think about it he would replace them both on the spot but he wanted them to last another 10. Despite everything I read negative about doing a decompression if the damage was very advanced because almost never fixes it. So he talked me into it but since it did not work out and I need to have my left one replaced very soon. I will be choosing someone else to do the surgery. All I want is a doctor to treat me the same as they would if I was their kid or parent.

kiddyboy said:
Has anyone been force to use diaper and catheter in hospital.

Recently I had fractured my left leg and was warded in hospital with a thick cast on my leg.
I was not allowed to walk to use the toilet.

in hospital they had given me a bottle to pee, but however I tried I was not able to pee in the bottle.
After about 9 to 10 hours, the nurse came with a machine to test my bladder it was 700ml+ of urine in my bladder.

The nurse had discussion with the doctor and after that discussion, a pretty female doctor came and help me to insert a catheter into my bladder.
The next thing came as a surprised, another nurse came holding a diaper in her hand and told me the doctor wanted me to poop too.
She also showed me a suppository and told me this medicine help me to poop.

So here I am in hospital bed using a diaper and catheter for the first time.

The was another day when I was pooping in the diaper halfway when the general anesthesias came and wanted to explain to me the surgery.
I told the general anesthesias I am doing number 2, she told me is ok as she was wearing N95 mask and could not smell anything and started explaining.
I was quite red on my face.
I wasn’t so lucky when I came out of surgery I couldn’t pee they never fit a catheter or gave me a diaper, I told the nurse I couldn’t pee because I was bursting but nothing would happen so they told me to just pee in the bed and it would get cleaned up, wasn’t happy but it turns out the surgeon left a cotton wool which was causing me issues and I did end up wetting the bed but it wasn’t a fun experience at that hospital, never did go back there luckily

• Wow
Reactions: puravidadip and EcoIncon
Luckily I’ve never been in hospital. The thought of a catheter really scares me as I have an irrational fear of anything medical anyway and feint every time I have an injection (including my Covid vaccinations 😱)

• Wow
Reactions: thedlguy, nwm and Scott729
Loveomorashi said:
Luckily I’ve never been in hospital. The thought of a catheter really scares me as I have an irrational fear of anything medical anyway and feint every time I have an injection (including my Covid vaccinations 😱)
I am just the opposite! I actually prefer to do everything myself, once I know how - some explained, others just figured out. That started after some foul could not get blood after like 5 tries, but had the idea how, so finally somewhat forcibly took it and did it myself. Caths, if needed I also now put in myself. Now the COVID vax, a nurse did, but that really would be easy! Just needs a mussel, ANY will do - they are incredibly easy to hit!
But yes, for me unless I already know and trust you, others doing that kind of thing is a source of anxiety for me - but tell me what needs to be done, and hand it all to me - as long as I know how, no prob doing it, and very calm and comfortable about it.

Loveomorashi said:
I hope you remain having that good health. Some of us have had enough hospital stays to last a life time. I have 7 already and a 3 day stay coming up on the 14th. It is a surgery to try and fix what gave me the last 7 stays so I am ready for it.

Stay health and if you have to have a IV just don't watch them do it they are not to bad. Catheters are not a real big deal either but can be uncomfortable when left in for a while or with or during erections. But over all it is just a minor discomfort at best and not really painful. I have been cathed by doctors and nurses hundreds of times but I have done it thousands and thousands of times pretty much my entire adult life. So don't sweat it. IV's and catheters are easy if they come at you with a IO run if you can. a IO is like a IV but it goes into your bone. They use a very large sharp needle and it is spun in with a cordless drill Like no joke it is a special drill but that id what it is. They did it to me once and I screamed to stop and they said almost done and kept drilling. it was only 5 or 10 seconds maybe longer but believe me you will know you are alive the entire time. Then he got done and said brother you are going to hate me. It is a dry hole I have to do it again. So they did right below my knee on my left chin bone a half inch from where he was. Then they pull the bone marrow a huge syringe full to make room for the meds. The meds going in hurt almost as bad as the drilling too. It hurt the entire 3 t 4 hours it was in my leg before I made them send me to a different hospital that has people trained who can use a ultrasound to guide a IV in because I am a super super hard stick. After that I got a port put in and life is way better because of it..

Reactions: Loveomorashi
I wanted to wear diapers from a very early age. From about 6-13, I would always find something to use as a diaper, but my mom would eventually find my stash and shame me. Then, just before I turned 13, I had two back surgeries a week apart. This was in 1974. I was kept heavily sedated and had a catheter. One night the nurse, A Mrs. Thornburger that was British and very proper, was turning me to prevent bedsores. I was pretty out of it, but when she got the tubing tangled with the sheets, she all but pulled it out!! I was wide awake in an instant.
Well, I was in the Shriners hospital for 8 months after that. After about 3 months I was having trouble with very frequent urination. I didn't know what was going on, but I was afraid to say anything as I believed they'd call my mom, who would tell them I liked diapers, and they wouldn't believe I was really having trouble. I'd have very frequent accidents. On some days, I'd need to urinate again within about 15-20 minutes after going. They had a type of "country school" setup, and halfway through the morning and afternoon, the aides would come with urinals for us to use, or change diapers of kids that needed it, and provide us with something to drink. But many times I'd end up being unable to hold it. I was in a cast from just below my neck, to just above my knees for six months. I was able to get into this long cart-type thing, with a back that tilted up slightly, on a wheelchair frame. I could move myself around in it. Since I was laying on my back when I'd had the accidents, no one ever seemed to notice I had one. I came up with many creative ways to keep this a secret. When I finally got home, I learned to drink almost nothing in the morning and throughout the day while in school. I also sometimes get baby diapers to put in my underwear just in case. At night, I'd use a thick towel to diaper myself, and with six in the family, my mom never seemed to notice the extra wet towel at times.
When I was 20 I finally had to see a urologist. I found out that when the nurse had yanked on the catheter it caused damage to the urinary tract. Over the years scar tissue kept building up and making the problem worse as time went on. The doctor had to reconstruct the entire urinary tract and I had to wear a large gage catheter for over a month while it healed. A difficult time in my life!!

• Wow
Reactions: nwm and dogboy
So sorry you had to go through all that at such a young age.

My urinary incontinence is the result of a surgical mishap when I was 14 years old in 1956. I’ve never been reliably dry at night since then; and I’ve been in a diaper almost 24/7 for the past 30+ years. During the past 15 years, I’ve had surgery to correct an inguinal hernia and two knee replacement surgeries. I had expected to be required to use an external catheter following the hernia surgery, but the surgeon said that a diaper was OK so long as I wasn’t bowel incontinent. While in hospital following the hernia surgery and after the second knee replacement, I wore diapers. A male orderly changed my diaper a couple of times after both surgeries, but mostly I was able to change my own diapers. After my first knee replacement, I awoke with a catheter that was kept in place until the day before I went home. The catheter was actually not a big deal. The discomfort was minimal.

Widgeydog354 said:
When i had my last bladder op they put in a catheter against my parents wishes as the time before i got a nasty infection from one.
I had surgery the 14th and they placed a Foley after it because the pain meds and sedation locked me up. It was so weird because I told them I was incontinent and used diapers and because they had placed a condom catheter after my surgery. But I just could not go so they straight catheter me twice then put a Foley in the 3rd time. They sent me home with it and I removed it on the 19th and things was back to the normal not being able to hold it after that. I was supposed to have it out on the 23rd because that was when I could get into the doctor. But I removed it at home. But when I went for my follow up I had a bladder infection and it is not getting much better. I took Bactrim for it and almost done with the dose but it still is pretty intense. I hate foley catheters.

It was funny because because I told my family doctor I pulled it out myself . He smiled real big and said I would of done the same thing.

Actually i remember this time i was in the hospital and i overheard the nurses saying to this girl in the room next to me that she couldn't stay in her diaper because of sanitary reasons. and they forced her to change or be changed not sure which i kinda went off into la la land thinking about meeting another possible abdl and for that matter a female one. No idea her age or anything because patient confidentiality even though they were loud enough for me to hear the diaper thing so i didn't make any moves to initiate contact. Plus it could have been something completely unrelated to abdl and she could have just been incontanant and embarrassed.

Bzctr
Diaperman95 said:
I had surgery the 14th and they placed a Foley after it because the pain meds and sedation locked me up. It was so weird because I told them I was incontinent and used diapers and because they had placed a condom catheter after my surgery. But I just could not go so they straight catheter me twice then put a Foley in the 3rd time. They sent me home with it and I removed it on the 19th and things was back to the normal not being able to hold it after that. I was supposed to have it out on the 23rd because that was when I could get into the doctor. But I removed it at home. But when I went for my follow up I had a bladder infection and it is not getting much better. I took Bactrim for it and almost done with the dose but it still is pretty intense. I hate foley catheters.

It was funny because because I told my family doctor I pulled it out myself . He smiled real big and said I would of done the same thing.
Bactrim is no longer considered a good antibiotic for most bladder infections except when the antibiogram said the bacteria are vulnerable to those. Which doesn't happen much. I asked because I had to take it last year and was told this. Also a lot of bacteria have become resistant to bactrim. Hence it's not used that much either.

Therefore have a complete urine test done, takes about 3-5 days but then your doc knows what antibiotic is best.

winterheart01 said:
Bzctr

Bactrim is no longer considered a good antibiotic for most bladder infections except when the antibiogram said the bacteria are vulnerable to those. Which doesn't happen much. I asked because I had to take it last year and was told this. Also a lot of bacteria have become resistant to bactrim. Hence it's not used that much either.

Therefore have a complete urine test done, takes about 3-5 days but then your doc knows what antibiotic is best.
yeah it depends on the infection most the time they do culture it to make sure the antibiotic covers it. He was going to give me cipro but it interferes with other meds I am on and can lower my heat rate and drop my BP. That's why he did the bactrim and most of the time it does knock it out. That and I really think to much Cipro in my past is a lot of my health issues to be honest so I won't take it or any of its sister drugs unless I have to. It is way over prescribed. It should be used when a antibiotic needs to break the blood brain barrier. It can be real hard on tendons and nerves. They have had a few class action law suites over cipro already. I have used about every antibiotic made at some point. I have had 1000's of bladder infections in my life. I will get by this. I going to go have him culture it tomorrow if it is still bothering me it is feeling better at the moment. But I also have interstitial cystitis real bad so sometimes I think I have one and it will be negative. It really does suck to live this away but a lot of times I feel lie this with no infection. He just knew I had the tube in for 3 days and thought it was likely so he put me on what drug killed the culture the last time when I had one only a few months back. But most of the time they do a culture and start me on a antibiotic and then he will call me and change it the culture comes back and it is not the best med that is safe to take with my other meds.

I asked for diapers once for a bad deep cut and was told no by the nurse. I was kind of shamed for it because they were just stitching me up.

The catheter is painful but it makes way more sense in a hospital setting and with surgery. I had an appendectomy earlier in the year and the diaper would have been in the way.

Diaperman95 said:
yeah it depends on the infection most the time they do culture it to make sure the antibiotic covers it. He was going to give me cipro but it interferes with other meds I am on and can lower my heat rate and drop my BP. That's why he did the bactrim and most of the time it does knock it out. That and I really think to much Cipro in my past is a lot of my health issues to be honest so I won't take it or any of its sister drugs unless I have to. It is way over prescribed. It should be used when a antibiotic needs to break the blood brain barrier. It can be real hard on tendons and nerves. They have had a few class action law suites over cipro already. I have used about every antibiotic made at some point. I have had 1000's of bladder infections in my life. I will get by this. I going to go have him culture it tomorrow if it is still bothering me it is feeling better at the moment. But I also have interstitial cystitis real bad so sometimes I think I have one and it will be negative. It really does suck to live this away but a lot of times I feel lie this with no infection. He just knew I had the tube in for 3 days and thought it was likely so he put me on what drug killed the culture the last time when I had one only a few months back. But most of the time they do a culture and start me on a antibiotic and then he will call me and change it the culture comes back and it is not the best med that is safe to take with my other meds.
I don't know if it is an affordable option but maybe it'd be a good idea to do, let's say, a quarterly urine culture, just to be sure?
It's like some people get a yearly bloodworks , a complete one, to make sure they're still ok.
But it all depends on how expensive this is and how much is covered...
Thing is I had some bladder neck infections I was not even aware of, yet the signs were there they said

Reactions: Diaperman95
Back