For those with a overactive bladder

I guess it looks like all suffering from OAB have quite heavy voids as well, as for me I can't wear pull ups or normal medical nappies, and I choose to wear tena maxi for day use, no doubt a little thick however it accepts those heavy voids and less nappies used throughout the day.

• Love
Reactions: Angelapinks, diaperdude and LittleEnigma
Urodynamics testing approx 10 years apart showed a pretty consistent 125 ml or around 4 oz. So regardless if I’m hydrated and my bladder fills quickly or dehydrated and it fills slowly, my detrusor muscles automatically cause me to void around that amount.

Per hour doesn’t make much sense because it will depend on how hydrated I am. It can be all over the map. I usually pee somewhere between 15 and 22 times per day. Sounds crazy but it’s normal for me and I’ve had OAB my entire life.

• Love
Reactions: EcoIncon, Pino, cantwait and 1 other person
Eclectic said:
Urodynamics testing approx 10 years apart showed a pretty consistent 125 ml or around 4 oz. So regardless if I’m hydrated and my bladder fills quickly or dehydrated and it fills slowly, my detrusor muscles automatically cause me to void around that amount.

Per hour doesn’t make much sense because it will depend on how hydrated I am. It can be all over the map. I usually pee somewhere between 15 and 22 times per day. Sounds crazy but it’s normal for me and I’ve had OAB my entire life.
That sounds very similar to my pattern.

Reactions: EcoIncon and LittleEnigma
cantwait said:
For those with an overactive bladder, what is the average volume of your void? I’ve been trying to keep a bladder log and I was curious what the average volume of other peoples void is, and how often they are going. I find that I am going every 20-60 minutes with a volume between 4 and 12 ounces.

Does your timing and volume sound anything like this?
After all the tests, I now know that I have a very small bladder. My urges seem to alternate between the morning hours and the evening hours. It is usually about every hour for a 6-8 hour period and then it tends to slow down. When they hit, I can sometimes put it off and only have a few leaks and then have to finally get to the bathroom.
Typically, my volume is only in the 200 ml range. I am mostly diapered for bedtime as the nocturnal was killing my sleep time. I do wear during the day if I am going out of the house for an extended period.

Last edited:
Reactions: EcoIncon, cantwait and LittleEnigma
As an update, inspired by this thread I set out to measure my volume per void. I weighed my diaper after a good spontaneous wetting and compared it to the weight of an identical fresh diaper. Assuming that urine has about the same weight as as water, I calculated my voiding volume to be 125 ml.

Here’s where it gets interesting: I read somewhere that most adults will first sense the need to pee around 150 ml. The average post void bladder volume is supposed to be 50 mL or less for someone my age. I don’t have history or symptoms of urinary retention, so let’s say my residual volume is right in the middle: 25mL. That means it’s my functional bladder capacity is right around 150 mL. In other words I spontaneously pee upon my bladder sensing bladder pressure. It’s basically the default micturation reflex at this point. Obviously, I’m making a lot of assumptions here but I will say this is most often what I perceive in my day to day experience…. Reflexive wetting once the pressure hits a certain threshold. Though there are times when my bladder behaves differently.

And, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this is similar to what others with long term issues such as @Eclectic and @cantwait reported well.

Yay science!

Last edited:
Reactions: EcoIncon, CheshireCat, Pino and 3 others
enthusi said:
As an update, inspired by this thread I set out to measure my volume per void. I weighed my diaper after a good spontaneous wetting and compared it to the weight of an identical fresh diaper. Assuming that urine has about the same weight as as water, I calculated my voiding volume to be 125 ml.

Here’s where it gets interesting: I read somewhere that most adults will first sense the need to pee around 150 ml. The average post void bladder volume is supposed to be 50 mL or less for someone my age. I don’t have history or symptoms of urinary retention, so let’s say my residual volume is right in the middle: 25mL. That means it’s my functional bladder capacity is right around 150 mL. In other words I spontaneously pee upon my bladder sensing bladder pressure. It’s basically the default micturation reflex at this point. Obviously, I’m making a lot of assumptions here but I will say this is most often what I perceive in my day to day experience…. Reflexive wetting once the pressure hits a certain threshold. Though there are times when my bladder behaves differently.

And, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this is similar to what others with long term issues such as @Eclectic and @cantwait reported well.

Yay science!
Good information, thanks for the update. It’s been very interesting to hear where everybody else is with this. I had nothing to compare my own capacity or frequency to.

Reactions: Dandelion, CheshireCat, Pino and 1 other person
All your posts in this thread describe a similar situation to my own. I can hold it but it’s the irregular intermittent frequency of voiding. Having to go every 20 minutes or so during the morning and afternoon.
I haven‘t measured what volume I void but it mostly seems more than I’ve drunk.Maybe it’s the frequency of bathroom trips plus the sometimes slow stream which creates the illusion of passing more than I‘m drinking. I wrote down a log yesterday and I had 12 bathroom trips .
To day was less because after one mug of coffee, I was out working at the allotment for the rest of the day and only a small flask cup off coffee and some water. Even then I had to wee there straight afterwards . When I got back home later I was thirsty . My nappy felt pretty wet even though I didn’t feel I had leaked. I realise some of this would have been from getting hot while digging .
What I do know that happens with me is as soon as I finish in the bathroom and fasten trousers , usually I’ll uncontrollably fill my nappy with what feels like another 1/4 or 3rd afterwards sometimes more than once nomatter how I first try to squeeze out the last few drops in the toilet.
Bedtime usually results 2 or 3 heavy voids woken by disturbing dreams at the moment. I wasn’t wearing a nappy for bed until very recently but trying to get used to it, struggling a bit as I get so hot.

Last edited:
Reactions: joemama, cantwait and Diprs2
At home at night I wear a terry towel nappy with a C/T cotton prefold stuffer
Usually it gets wet in the crotch and stays dry on the back ,wings and upper front
Last nights nappy was soaked all over apart from 2 2” wide sections on the wings at the sides 🤷 who knows from night to night how much fluid you pee out 🤷

Reactions: Eclectic, Diprs2 and Dandelion
After my prostate surgery life changed for peeing. I could be filling gas tank up then hearing the gas rushing in. That would make me have to pee right then. At night sleeping it's up every 2 hours 3 on good night. When I go pee during day always have drips after. I have to wear a pad or have wet spot in front of pants. I wear diapers at home for the enjoyment with relaxing feeling. The plus side is I don't have to go to bathroom every 2 hours. If I am heading out many times it will be in a diaper. Not an issue. People just don't care anymore what you wear

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192, Diprs2 and Dandelion
I'm not incontinent but every morning I will just drink coffee till about 11 no food and I'm at the toilet every 10 minutes until I eat is that a weak bladder or something else

Reactions: Dandelion
After reading all of your posts, I kept a record of my trips to the loo yesterday. Over 24hrs, I went 13 times. This included three times overnight and one emergency pee outside. No idea about volume but I did stand next to a retired GP at a urinal who commented on my weak flow. We had a brief conversation about it afterwards.

Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon and cantwait
I am not sure about the volume, but with my OAB I need to wet my diaper a minimum of 12 times a day, and an average of about 15 times a day. From this posting it seems many of the adults here have the same, or worse frequency issues as I do. No wonder we are in diapers! And, like others said here, it is important to keep hydrated, but as I’ve found, not too much coffee, as it exacerbates my frequent, sudden and strong urges to pee. But, I love my coffee, so thank goodness for diapers!

Reactions: ChocChip, joemama, Diprs2 and 4 others
Kellycares said:
No wonder we are in diapers!
I found this funny, no wonder indeed. I am a very active person, professionally and at home. My current life would be virtually impossible without diapers.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Kellycares and Pino
enthusi said:

Yay science!
This is almost exactly what my last urodynamics test showed. You saved yourself a couple grand and didn't have to subject yourself to that miserable test!

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
I use to be able to hold it for a decent time without extreme pain, now its about 5 minutes or less, needing to go every 15-60 minutes, Trying to hold it past 10 minute's is to painful and it goes from leaking to a complete void. I average about 10-16 is oz per void.

Reactions: cantwait and joemama
I take a medication that incidentally reduces the amount of urine that my kidneys produce during the day. This means I have smaller voids during the day (200-250ml every few hours), and smaller accidents (anything from small dribbles to 150ml or so). The medication slowly wears off throughout the day and by dinner time I am back to normal void volumes (400-450ml). I generally excrete the retained water while I’m sleeping, resulting in a very heavy morning diaper, often 1000ml+

• Thinking
Reactions: cantwait, Pino and Napincolove
I also happened to do a bladder diary yesterday requested by my pelvic floor therapist. I haven't thought about the number of times/accidents per day in years since it was just life with incontinence. I would have thought I had like 15 times per day (combining accidents and making it to the bathroom). It was not fun realizing it was 35 wettings with 21 small urge accidents. Hopefully it was just a bad day, and the number is inflated because I was also starting timed intervals and since I was focusing on it so much, it changed the results. Or maybe its just because I have been so relaxed about it last few years, I may have inadvertently added to the problem.

Since I have no desire to risk catheter problems with Botox or do interstim, really hoping pelvic floor therapy works out. Been a few times and more hopeful now than ever before, though not putting all the cure eggs into that basket because nothing more deflating than dashed hopes. But its good to see I'm not the only one who seems like I'm peeing all the time and not massive amounts. Well not actually "good" because I wish none of us had to deal with it, but you get it it

newt said:
Since I have no desire to risk catheter problems with Botox or do interstim, really hoping pelvic floor therapy works out. Been a few times and more hopeful now than ever before, though not putting all the cure eggs into that basket because nothing more deflating than dashed hopes. But its good to see I'm not the only one who seems like I'm peeing all the time and not massive amounts. Well not actually "good" because I wish none of us had to deal with it, but you get it it
This exactly where I have been for a long time. About 4 years ago, I got a prescription for pelvic floor therapy. I didn’t follow up on it because I’m too busy right now and, since my urgency and frequency has been a life long issue, I’m not convinced that it would help much.

Eclectic said:
This exactly where I have been for a long time. About 4 years ago, I got a prescription for pelvic floor therapy. I didn’t follow up on it because I’m too busy right now and, since my urgency and frequency has been a life long issue, I’m not convinced that it would help much.
Definitely understand that. I figured I should at least try it. I’ll do all the exercises for a while. If it helps then fantastic. But if not at least I know I tried.

Reactions: Eclectic
newt said:
Definitely understand that. I figured I should at least try it. I’ll do all the exercises for a while. If it helps then fantastic. But if not at least I know I tried.
How long have you had OAB? Also just noticed you are a fan of the U. Florida Gator myself. At least we have a common enemy.

Back