For those who are not allowed to drive; do you want to?

See initial post ^.^

• No, I don't want to

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Yes, i'd like to

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I'll never be able to, but I want to

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Other...

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude84

Banned
Role
Adult Baby
I deliberately posted this in the mature topics section to try and discourage people from posting replies such as "I can't, but i'll be able to when i'm 17".

Specifically, I was wondering if anyone here like myself who has a medical condition which prevents them from driving, wants to?

Just curiosity I guess.

MarkFox

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I would when I need too, but other than that I'd take public transportation, it's free for me in the area.

weswissa

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
I can drive, but after an accident, my parents won't let me.

~Weswissa

LilRabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Diaperfur, Sissy, Incontinent, Carer
Well.

I'm 18, and I do not have my license. Although I personally don't care, I do want to be able to drive because it really sucks not being able to since my friends live pretty far from me.

As of now, I finally got around to apply for a learner's permit (they're required here in PA before you can apply for your license) - but alas, I was smacked down by The Man when one of my past truancy charges came to bite me in the ass.

So although I can drive (I passed the written exam) - I can't drive until November-something because I'm suspended.

Not even allowed to drive and I already am getting in trouble :D

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Driving for me is weird. I had brilliant control the instructor said. They though I would pass very quickly. But second lesson I went over 15 mph and almost had a panic attack. I was hyperventilating, screaming - lucky it was a duel control car. I hated it. It wasn't just the speed - I have been quicker on go-karts, quad bikes etc. but I couldn't do it.

I want to drive, but I need to learn to cope with being in control of a car mentally first.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't know what I would do if I couldn't drive, once I gave away my bike in 1962, I have been driveing ever since.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
I can drive. It's probably one of the best things that happened in my life(i enjoy the privilege to drive that much).

Role
Private
I've had my learners for 1 1/2 years. I was close to getting my license, but my fathers car broke and he got a stick shift. I'm fine with just taking ride-on and metro, but I need to get my license so I can drive my mother places.

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Eric, don't worry, driving stick seems difficult but it's actually pretty easy, just give yourself a little time. After you get used to it, you'll never want to go back to automatic, trust me.

Though I do drive, please don't ream me for posting, I remember when I couldn't and I dreamed everyday about finally being able to drive, got my learner's permit the day I turned 15, which was the age in the state I lived in at the time.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Eric, don't worry, driving stick seems difficult but it's actually pretty easy...
Yes, the hardest thing with a manual transmission for most people is starting off in first gear, particularly on an upgrade. Once you're moving, shifting up or down in the other gears is fairly simple. I learned on a 1970 VW Beetle (my first car), which had a stick shift, and I'm still driving a stick shift 1994 Toyota Tercel.

~Pramrider

G

gamebaby

I would like to drive but i wouldnt drive much. In sich a small town its easy to bike all around. (even in winter but i dont do that)

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I can drive, but would rather not when I don't have to (does that count? :p). Don't get me wrong, it's basically essential that I drive, so I do it often. But as a person with below average eyesight I often find it rather stressful, and am always worried I won't see something important (I'm really not too far off from having a "daytime only" restriction on my license!).

I love to walk and bike, and do so on a fairly regular basis. Public transport is good too, but don't have so much of that available.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I don't drive at the moment (not because of medical conditions, although with the meds I'm on they seem to slow my thinking processes, so it may be that I wouldn't want to drive anyway). I've been driving since before a good number of you were even born (although not as long as ballucanb heheh). Got my driver's license in 1979. w00t!

Anyway...I love to drive...nothing like the freedom of being behind the wheel and just going wherever you want to go.

That said, it is better, environmentally, to walk or ride the bus....so that's what I do. I don't even own a car. Don't need one here in the city.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I didn't really enjoy driving until I'd been doing it for a year or so. It took a bit of getting used to... but now that I've honed my reflexes I'm all over the roads.

What I don't understand is people around here who are 18, 20, even 25... don't have their license... and have no desire to drive a car. Where I'm from you can't rely on public transit to get you anywhere on time... heck, it doesn't even go most places... so you have to either drive yourself or bum a ride with a friend. Ofcourse these people are also the ones who are still living at home with mom & dad and have no ambition to succeed in life.

I realise that it is a vicious cycle here in the States... most places you need a car to get to work. But why do you work? To pay for that car... why else? I wish reliable, safe, and inexpensive public transit was a reality here... but it's not. I live just minutes from work... I take a right out of the neighborhood... drive 12 miles down the highway, then make a left into the business park... that's all. Yet there is no bus that can take me here. So when I complain about high fuel prices... believe me, I don't have a choice in the matter.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I didn't really enjoy driving until I'd been doing it for a year or so. It took a bit of getting used to... but now that I've honed my reflexes I'm all over the roads.

What I don't understand is people around here who are 18, 20, even 25... don't have their license... and have no desire to drive a car. Where I'm from you can't rely on public transit to get you anywhere on time... heck, it doesn't even go most places... so you have to either drive yourself or bum a ride with a friend. Ofcourse these people are also the ones who are still living at home with mom & dad and have no ambition to succeed in life.
I have a major physical impairment that prevents me from having anywhere near normal reflexes in my limbs or brain. I am slow to process, I am slow to physically act. I have spina bifida. No lack of ambition. Granted, lazy bums do exist in spades, though. But I have a legit reason to not want to drive. Even if I am legally OK to drive, for me it may amount to a technicality.

I realise that it is a vicious cycle here in the States... most places you need a car to get to work. But why do you work? To pay for that car... why else? I wish reliable, safe, and inexpensive public transit was a reality here... but it's not. I live just minutes from work... I take a right out of the neighborhood... drive 12 miles down the highway, then make a left into the business park... that's all. Yet there is no bus that can take me here. So when I complain about high fuel prices... believe me, I don't have a choice in the matter.
I've never been to Charlotte. I used to live in the sticks, about 85 miles from Asheville and 45 mi from Clemson, SC. No need, even for public transit here. But I will say I prefer very large cities. D.C. is absolutely awesome with bus and a great light rail (though it's a bit shaky when the vehicle is just arriving. Kinda spooky). I move around great without a car. But, like I think you implied, sometimes it ain't easy. Takes a bit of sacrafice.

Role
Diaper Lover
Eric, don't worry, driving stick seems difficult but it's actually pretty easy, just give yourself a little time. After you get used to it, you'll never want to go back to automatic, trust me.

Though I do drive, please don't ream me for posting, I remember when I couldn't and I dreamed everyday about finally being able to drive, got my learner's permit the day I turned 15, which was the age in the state I lived in at the time.
I definately agree, i absolutely LOVE sticks, and yes, once you get the hang of it you'll never go back!

Role
Incontinent
I can drive, but I thought I could add something here that might be relevant.

When I was old enough, I couldn't wait to get my license, and just as soon as I could, I did. That was in '75, and been driving ever since. I think I would go nuts if I couldn't drive, because my life revolves around cars, and trucks too.
My son is old enough now to get his license, he turned 16 this month, but he's in no rush, and I just find that odd. He's got a permit, and I've taken him out and let him drive on the highway's and city streets, and he does really good, but he says he wants more time to practice before he's ready to go out on his own. And I'm just fine with that. I would rather he wait and be sure, than to rush out there and kill himself or someone else, or someone kills him because he didn't react fast enough, or didn't recognize the danger. The fact that we were just in a head on crash when someone pulled right out in front of me really shook him up, so he knows first hand how dangerous it can be. So I'm almost,(almost!) glad it happened for that reason alone. I hate accidents.
I'm lucky I can still drive right now, because the last back surgery, there was a good chance I could have been paralyzed from the waist down if things went wrong. As it is, I have several numb spots on my back and legs where I can't feel anything touching me, but it hasn't effected my muscles, just a lot of pain from the area.

My grandma never learned how to drive, and I couldn't ever figure out why. But she just never needed to, she always had someone to take her someplace if she needed to go.

But out here where I live, (I'm 12 miles outside of town), if you don't drive, you don't go anywhere. There is absolutely no public transportation. They only just began running a bus in town, and are making new bus stops for it so it doesn't tie up traffic when they stop.

When I was in Germany, I didn't have a car, so I had to rely on public transportation, but they have an excellent system over there. Buses, trains, boats, (where needed), taxi's, to almost anywhere you want to go. If that were available here, I would make use of it. It's certainly cheaper than having your own car.

I currently have 8, (yes, 8!) vehicles, including my truck and scooter, licensed, registered and insured, and another 3 just insured because they aren't finished yet. I'm car poor as the saying goes. And if I couldn't drive any longer, I would be severely depressed, to say the least. It's bad enough now because I'm not able to do much in the way of working on them like I used to do. What used to take me a day, now takes a week or more, unless I'm really feeling good, then it only takes 3 or 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.