Not open for further replies.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]For those of us who know how to program multiple programming languages, which is your favorite language?

Mine right now is split between C# and Python, which are both languages I had dismissed in the past (C# as "that java clone" and Python as "sensitive to whitespace, meh"). However both of these traits have turned to advantages because:

C# is a better java clone (compared to this, java sucks even more)
It took me about a day to get used to the C# language from my Java experience. It'll take a bit longer to learn the .NET framework, but I can put that to use if I ever go on to learn VB properly.

Python leads to clean code almost instinctively.
Also the ability to do this
Code:
substr = str[5:8]
is really cool.

[/font]

Role
  1. Private
It depends on my goal.

For data structures, I prefer C++ (with or without STL).

For web-stuff, I tend towards PHP as it lets me cobble things together quickly, and later refine to build platform-agnostic code. I also really like its online function list (php.net) and innumerable plugin support (doxygen, PDO, etc.). Unfortunately, I'm yet to find an IDE that I like that permits context completion and context-sensitive help.

I've used Ada, Scheme, and Lisp before - they're good at what they do, but I typically don't write code in these.

I've not looked into Python, but it can be used to write pretty tight code (like Perl). Insofar as writing "clean" code, you could always write your own overloads (C++, for instance) and shoot yourself in the foot as needed (or in the face, as you may in C++).

sissybecky

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Scheme.

I've written in a lot of languages (Haskell, Smalltalk, PL/B, PHP, Python, Rexx, C) But scheme takes the cake. First class functions, anonymous functions, a rock solid macro system (these are not your fathers C Preprocessor Macros), the fact that is methodologically agnostic, first class continuations, and easy syntax are just a few of the reasons why I like it.

The biggest problem with scheme is that unlike Java or Python, there are a bunch of different implementations of scheme, each with their own pros and cons.

My favorite implementation thus-far is Gambit Scheme. It is self-hosting, and compiles to C.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
Scheme.

I've written in a lot of languages (Haskell, Smalltalk, PL/B, PHP, Python, Rexx, C) But scheme takes the cake. First class functions, anonymous functions, a rock solid macro system (these are not your fathers C Preprocessor Macros), the fact that is methodologically agnostic, first class continuations, and easy syntax are just a few of the reasons why I like it.

The biggest problem with scheme is that unlike Java or Python, there are a bunch of different implementations of scheme, each with their own pros and cons.

My favorite implementation thus-far is Gambit Scheme. It is self-hosting, and compiles to C.
[font="Calibri,Arial"]Actually there are many implentations of Java aswell. After Sun's the biggest is gcj (GNU compiler for Java) which compiles the same as gcc. Although they will all take the same code unlike c++ compilers[/font]

Role
  1. Private
[T]here are a bunch of different implementations of scheme, each with their own pros and cons.

Aha! It may be time for me to take another look at Scheme.

/me thinks you've owned an Amiga at some point in your life.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Right now I'd have to say probably python. It's just easy to do what you need to do, and when you need more control it's easy to interface with C code.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Other
Well, I'll start off by saying the ones I know (though haven't really mastered).... Python, Basic (on Apple II computers and through Liberty Basic), C++, and HTML (though that's not technically considered a programming language). Python seems to be my favorite right now.

element

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'd have to say I'm torn between Python and C/C++ at the moment. I do most of my web programming in PHP, but I much prefer Python for that and for smaller apps and scripts, and I've been doing larger projects in C++ and I just love the sheer speed I get out of a C++ app.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Carer
c++ and html, im not sure why i like html but every time i use it i go yay, i think it cause it was the first one i lernt

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
HTML isn't a programming language it's a mark-up language. It's just re-araging data.

Until you do some processing it's not really "programming". But I learnt a bit of PHP when I was 13-14. Left it and did my studies and played with electronics. And at 16-17 played with Python. Now it's part of my course which is really easy and I find it amazing the people who don't understand the basic concepts of functions. It's appauling.

But Today I got a good idea for a big BIG project on python. It's basically a Logic Simulator. But should be complex enough to simulate a basic computer Processor. Which will be interesting to see how well I do that. But I have a special idea for something to program which might appeal to the members of ADISC. ;)

sissybecky

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
UnMarth: You should try reading "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs". It's a bit heady, but its awesome. The language in that book uses scheme, but you'll be a better python programmer because of it too.

It starts out pretty simple, but then gets pretty deep fast. Soon, you'll be exploring building your own logic simulators, programming languages, and even compilers.

Don't worry if you don't get it all your first go through, just try to read and understand as much as you can, and don't be afraid to come back to it later, a year, 2 years, 5 years down the road.

Oh yea, and its available online for free too!

Role
  1. Private
UnMarth: You should try reading "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs".
Oh yea, and its available online for free too!

Linky here. This is a good find; I'll likely make this a diversion for the summer. :)

I should also add that I do some work in Matlab (ala my M.Sc. work). Although I will admit I'm not cool enough to write loops as matrices (which is orders of magnitudes faster, I hear); I write them as loops. :(

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Other
But Today I got a good idea for a big BIG project on python. It's basically a Logic Simulator. But should be complex enough to simulate a basic computer Processor. Which will be interesting to see how well I do that. But I have a special idea for something to program which might appeal to the members of ADISC. ;)

Cool! So about the Logic Simulator... (I'm sorry if this question seems stupid) it simulates a processor, so is that like a simple type of virtual machine or basic emulator of some sort? And the ADISC-appealing thing... any clues? Or it it going to be 100% surprise? :cool:

I may also eventually do some stuff people here might be interested in... though it will probably be mostly geared towards furries. And uh, I'm not sure what exactly yet. (plus I need some practice and some time) :sweatdrop:

Last edited:

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
The logic simulator will let you draw up logic gates and you can define the inputs and see what outputs you get. Add a clock to a Very VERY well inter wind logic, you can create a basic Processor. And use it as a stored memory device where it has some memory and reads off that, and either execute it or treat it as data. It's still a biggish thing to pull off.

As for the other adisc thing, no promises. I'm having difficultly doing one main effect. But I'm working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.