Foodie Group reloaded.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Well once again Since the groups have gone I guess I will just do a food blog.

I got a recipe in my head form "Food & Wine" back in November and am finally trying it.

It is a stuffed turkey leg rondelet.

I just finished deboning the two turkey hind quarters.

I love how they make it sound so easy.

This is being made with love but this meat was deboned with not kind words!

Reactions: LonelyKitty, Paddy2020, OmiOMy and 1 other person
OK so this was not as easy as they made it look. I also adapted this for my normal salt (1500 mg), low fat (20%), normal sugar (25 gm/day)diet.

Stuffed Turkey Legs.

2 turkey hind quarters (deboned; cut down the "inside of the leg" then up the upper bone. When you get done the fillet will be about 8 inches long and about 5 inches wide)
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive oil.

Stuffing:
1 lb. ground meat (I used Buffalo)
3 oz. onion diced
2 shallots diced
3 oz. Celery diced
3 cloves of garlic diced
3 oz. fennel diced
3 oz. mushroom diced
1/2 cup dried cherries chopped
1/2 cup read crumbs
1 shot spiced rum
ground pepper to taste (unfortunately the pepper mill popped open and I used about 10 pepper corns)
1/2 tsp. old bay seasoning.

Also will need good string.

In a lager fry pan brown meat. At about half way done add the vegetables to sweat and this adds more moisture to the pan.
When the meat is fully browned and you have crumbled it as best as possible add seasoning and rum. Stir to mix and cover for about 5 minutes.
Transfer contents of the pan to a large bowl and then add bread crumbs and mix.

Now on a large clean surface lay out a turkey fillet. Place stuffing on fillet and pack down to about the same thickness as the meat.
Now (with out cursing :rolleyes:) roll the meat from the leg end to the back end. Then Tie into a remoulade.
Transfer the remoulade into a steamer tray seam side down. (This was done for my diet. The original recipe calls for pouching in a white wine stock broth that was loaded with salt)
Repeat the stuffing and roll process on the other leg.

Steam for 60 minutes.

Transfer to a baking dish, drizzle a little bit as the juice from the steam dish. Then brush top with extra virgin olive oil.
Place dish into a 400 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes.
The skin will crisp up and brown.

Slice each leg into 4 pieces and serve.

I used the steaming liquid to make Couscous to go with it and a nice tossed salad.

Last edited:
Reactions: hellopotato, Curiositykilledthecat, OmiOMy and 2 others
egor said:
OK so this was not as easy as they made it look.

What do you call this recipe?

DanielW said:
This sounds absolutely delicious! I have a couple of turkey breast halves in the freezer. I might have to see if I can stuff them like this after cutting a pocket or maybe pounding the meat flat and rolling it?

The thing I have seen before is to "butterfly" the breast and then Roll them.

ScriptedGamer said:
What do you call this recipe?

Sorry about that. I corrected the issue.

DanielW said:
yes, or if you want to to be "fancy" you might call it a Roulade

Yes I could, but to my own self respect the Tie job I did was so bad it did not even look close to a roulade!

Its been so long since I did a roulade that I struggled and could not keep it tightly rolled. The second one was better but the stuffing was still not staying put.

Made a Thai Spicy coconut shrimp soup for dinner tonight. It was a chicken recipe in the local paper Tuesday and I adapted it to n my "diet" as best as I could. Have not done my food log yet to see how I did. But I thought it was very good.

Reactions: WillieSmalls
DanielW said:
Sounds good @egor. What types of dietary restrictions/guidelines do you follow? (if you don't mind my asking) I have to watch sodium, and I have dysphagia (swallowing issues) so I have to watch out for texture problems too. It can be hard when your a foodie sometimes

I have had weight issues since I was 13. So the "diet" that works for me is a Normal salt (aka low salt), low process sugar, and reduced fat diet.

I also agree that being a foodie is hard for any food/ingredient restriction. I have not "had dessert" for over a month now. That's my addiction substance. I can have a serving of other things, but dessert servings are no way controllable to me.

Spicy Thai Coconut Shrimp soup.

6 mushrooms chopped
1/2 cup Pepper (the original called for red bell, but I used a poblano pepper just 'cus that is what I had)
2 inch fresh ginger chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 tsp dried lemon grass
4 cups low salt chicken stock.
1 can light coconut milk
*seasoning (it called for 4 teaspoons fish sauce. Not conducive to low salt. so I used 1 tbs. oyster sauce, 2 tbs. chili sauce, a 1 tbs. Wirstisire sauce.
1 lb. large shrimp (just read the label better then I did It said cleaned and deveined, that did not mean de shelled. So after I added the frozen shrimp to the chicken sauce I realized when they thawed that the where still in the shell. Pealing hot shrimp is hard on the ol finger print)
I shallot diced
1 tbs. dried cilantro
1 tsp Curry powder.
Bean sprouts
Snow peas.
cooked Roman noodles without the spice pack
Put the stock in a large pan and start to heat.
Add shrimp, Diced Herbs and vegetables and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and add spices and Coconut milk.
Simmer until the soup temp is 165. (I do this with all sea food soups (including over cooking the shrimp) because of a lovely case of Typhoid Fastidious ( the usual source is drinking water from the Ganja River) That I got from under cooked clam chowder one time.

Dish up one serving of roman noodles. Then add about two cups of the soup, and top with bean sprouts and snow peas.

Very lite flavor with a little kick. Very good!!!!!

Reactions: diaperdude, hellopotato, Curiositykilledthecat and 2 others
DanielW said:
I am SO going to make this tonight.

Just as a side note, if you get shell-on shrimp, you can make a quick shrimp stock (shells in a pan with water to just cover - bring to a boil and simmer 20 mins - strain) No added salt. Just be sure to keep the shrimp meat cold while simmering the stock.

To tell the honest truth I was being "lazy" and just thawing them and cooking at the same time. I realized I added some great umami to the soup with the shells after I peeled them.

Bottom line is I did not read the label I just looked and assumed.

Just put 3 tomahawk steaks in to the oven to low and slow(275 degrees on a broiler pan full of water) cook them until this evening. When I will finish them and baked potatoes.

Reactions: Vikingbab and Lewis Badger
egor said:
Just put 3 tomahawk steaks in to the oven to low and slow(275 degrees on a broiler pan full of water) cook them until this evening. When I will finish them and baked potatoes.

Are you eating all 3 steaks by yourself?! How big are they? Pictures?

Lewis Badger said:
Are you eating all 3 steaks by yourself?! How big are they? Pictures?
God no!!!

Unfortunately my (yes) flip phone does not do pictures anymore.

The where at the local food chain at $7.99 a lb. and average 3 lbs each. My family will do a good job of killing them tonight then I will fix left overs with them tomorrow. Oh Ya. The spoiled golden retriever will be hounding me for the bones.

4 hours and fall off the bone GOOOOOOOOOOD!

Back