Foodie Group- Canning

Pickle cucs are still a no show, but got green beans for a reasonable price and they where also young and tender. So right now I am waiting for the water bath to boil on the lemon- bay pickled bean and first part of the chili-dilly pickled beans. Then when That is done I will finish the chili-dilly and the sweet=hot pickled beans and that will be done for the year.

Also picked up corn at 18cent and ear so tomorrow I will make the corn relish. If I get real rambunctious I may harvest the Walla Walla Sweet onions and make the pickled onions, just to get that stuff done for the year.

corn relish done. Walla Walla onion pickles next?

This all sounds delicious. It's inspiring me to try it.

I had an unexpected gleaning opportunity today. I stopped by a local produce stand and there was a "pile of cattle feed" In this was pickling cucumbers about 2 to 3 inches in diameter and around 9 inches long that where still green and not over ripe. I bought 40 of them and am making bread and butter pickles with them. This is the second time I have gotten them this big. They are so good and I can honestly tell my doctor that I only put one pickle chip on my sandwich.

up date:

its 12 :30 am and I just finished making 23 1/2 pints of bread and butter pickles, relish and the extra pickle juice. The recipe is only supposed to make 8 pints. I estimate that each of the cucs that I used was about 12 oz.

Cant wait for Halloween when they are cured.

Got back form the Caribbean last night. Went out and looked in the Garden. I was surprised that the birds did not eat all of the grapes, so Will be making grape jam. Also the Tomato bushes are loaded so will be doing tomato salsa and base. then I have cucumbers arriving to make sweet pickles on Tuesday.

Big mistake turned into good thing. The Farmer that I ordered the cucumbers from screwed up my pickling cuc order and I had to reschedule it for next week. Which was a big help to me.

Finished the jam for the season with just enough seedless grapes to make a single batch of jam.

Now I have to get the house cleaning caught up and do tomatoes ASAP.

13 cans of mild Salsa, 16 cans of Tomato Base are in the cupboard. And now I have cleaned 35lbs of pickling cucs, and now that My break is over I am off to process them into 4 day crock sweet pickles and bread and butter slices.

Reactions: DiaperedDiscreetly
16 pts of Bread and butter slices, 4 pts of B&B relish and 2 pts of pickled B&B onion rings (because I did 4 onions and should have only done two), done on Tuesday/Wednesday morning. finishing at 1:30 am. Finished 13 pts of 4 day crock sweet pickles this evening.

Now the decision is do I start at the first point of the Tomatoes and work at catching up. Or do I start where I left off and hope they do not get over ripe again?????

Bottom line is I am still picking tomatoes in the morning and canning salsa and tomato base all day Saturday.

20190921_123157 (2).jpg

20190921_123207 (2).jpg

Just what I picked Saturday morning. Just finished making 23 pints of "Manly Salsa" and 22 pints of tomato base. I started picking the first point and continued picking until I filled 5 large bowls full of tomatoes. That picked 12 plants and I have 4 more that I have not touched since August 20th.

Reactions: chickpea
Did another batch of tomatoes Friday just like the one pictured above. 7 pints green tomato relish, 9 pints of "Manly salsa" with 20 Thai chili's, and 29 pints of tomato based. I now have diced chili peppers in the food dryer to make chili powder.

I think it is time to shut the garden down for the year.

20190930_144626 (2).jpg

The cabinet almost full of tomato base

20190929_140225 (2).jpg

The other cabinet full of the rest of the "goodies" for the year.

All I can say is "Yo! Old man Winter! Bring it on!!!!"

• Love
Reactions: chickpea and NooNoo
Well The "canning season is officially over. The canning jars are off the counter and I just put the large colander and water bath pot away for the year.

All that is left is Vacuum packing things like fish, meat are pumpkin puree.

I finished everything for the year today. I ground Corn Meal and that should last me for a little while. That is everything from this years garden prepped and put away.

Pulled out my next to the last jar of Syrup today. Started turning the garden beds, so now its time to start preparing the canning needs list for this year.

Reactions: NooNoo
I was doing the first of the month pantry restock on "Momentary delusion of wealth day" aka Payday at the local discount food chain and found some 20 pint case regular mouth canning jars for $10. I bought 3 cases.

This is the time of the year to watch for deals like this.

I have not sat down and do the Canning needs list, but this is one of those things that I usually need.

I finally did the canning need list last week, then added something new to it. I have not done much with Rhubarb for years Because I have only used stuff that I have grown. Well Friday I found some on sale and bought enough for a pie and some extra. So I decided to make Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. It has been years since I made this in syrup form, but I am going to make a batch of Jam. In worst case seinerio will be a thicker syrup.

Experimented today and made a batch of Strawberry Rhubarb Jam.

Jars are sealing, and will try one in the next couple of days to see if I will make more.

The Strawberry rhubarb Jam was such a hit, the family begged for more. I just finished 5 hours of work and finished 24 1/2 cups of Jam.

I have been cooking up a storm today for a special mothers day to my wife.

The white cake is done and on the cooling rack, for the 4 layer White cake with raspberry filling.
The Italian Peasant Bread is on the top of the stove doing the first raise.
In a few minutes I will make the Lasagna Noodles. Then I will start the Bolinase Sauce for the lasagna.

Back