fluffing diaper

Kayleigh said:
Throw your diaper in your drier on either an air dry or very lower setting and let it run for 2 or 3 minutes. It really puffs up the diaper. If you have the very low heat setting, it not only is a nice puffy diaper but it also feels wonderful.

This is what I do. Five or six at a time for 3-4 minutes on very low heat.

Some diapers can handle a few more minutes, but a lot of them will start to break up the padding, leaving a big lump high in the back.

Last edited:
zbrannigan said:
I'm a little prone to really fluffing them up, which makes them more comfy/poofy in my opinion. It does come with a drawback though, as the sap does tend to fall apart quicker making extended wear a bit more uncomfortable. I think there's a good middle ground when fluffing up diapers.
which diapers have you tested this theory on?

I do the taco fold then take the leg gatherers and pull them outwards with my thumb and with my 8 other fingers, twisting the edges a little. Once that's done, fold it in half baby diaper style and place it in a drawer with the powder, oil and diapee cream.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Jack
I do every time change ! I think it help make it fit much better !!!

Reactions: Diprs2
I think that if fluffing was beneficial then manufacturers would be recommending we do it.

littledreamers333 said:
so just curious who all here fluffs their diaper before putting it on
Never heard of it, what do you do

I always do the typical fold down the center pull and tongue and work it a little bit. But I have done the dryer method before. Yes the diaper is quite fluffy and very comfy.

Reactions: littledreamers333
Fluff my diaper but not the booster. Diaper is more comfortable and I believe wicks better.

Reactions: Diprs2 and littledreamers333
Some of the private label diapers I buy from the local grocery store are already fluffed from the factory, which is very rare. Also, the plastic is 5 times softer, smoother and surprisingly gentle for the skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, always fluff your disposables before use. It improves the wicking, makes sure the leak guards are released and will give you the best performance for your $$$ regardless of brand.

Reactions: Diprs2, Jack and geka
I give it a good taco style fold to keep the diaper V shaped instead of W. The dryer idea sounds nice.

North Shore had a video on how to give them a quick fluffing. They also recommended making sure that the leak guards were up and the plastic had no defects that could cause leaks. It only takes a few minutes.

Reactions: Diprs2, Deleted member 56273 and KindaOlde
Kayleigh said:
Throw your diaper in your drier on either an air dry or very lower setting and let it run for 2 or 3 minutes. It really puffs up the diaper. If you have the very low heat setting, it not only is a nice puffy diaper but it also feels wonderful.
Will a hair dryer work just as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LilHotRod, Diprs2 and KindaOlde
i usually fluff them a little bit, folding them and stretching it with care to make sure the leak guards are up. This also soften the nappy a little bit, as they came pretty compressed in the bag.

Best video on the subject:

Reactions: Deleted member 56273, LilHotRod, Jack and 1 other person
Thanks Jack. I’m now convinced that fluffing brings a wicking benefit

I typically just fold them into a taco after pulling on the wings to get them unstuck

Yes! Every time! It's very important! 😋

Jack said:
Will a hair dryer work just as well?
No. A hair dryer will just warm the diaper if you have the heat switch on but will not provide the agitation needed for the fluffing.

Back