Firefox Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallas

Contributor
Role
Other
So I recently decided to get with the 21st century. I got high speed and built a new computer myself (the motherboard was a whoo to get in), which runs awsomely. And I decided that Internet Explorer 7 was great but wasn't quite working out for me. The security settings on it are a little odd. I don't like the fact that every time I run Ad-Aware and Spybot they catch 120+ tracking cookies.

So I was reading about various browsers such as Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera. Firefox appealed to me most because of it's simple design, customization which really impressed me, and small memory usage, not that I have problems with my 2GB of RAM anyway.

But I was wondering if it's possible to not record history of the websites I go to in Mozilla Firefox? Like make it so it doesn't record any history?

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
I don't know about Firefox, but Safari includes a very nice feature called 'private browsing', which basically lets you surf the net without any evidence that you have even used it. This is quoted from the wiki:

When private browsing is turned on, webpages are not added to the history, items are automatically removed from the Downloads window, information isn't saved for AutoFill (including names and passwords), and searches are not added to the pop-up menu in the Google search box. Until you close the window, you can still click the Back and Forward buttons to return to webpages you have opened.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well with Firefox (and IE), you can set the history to only have to much saved...Like it will have today's saved...Until tomorrow...Then it will be blank

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Tools --> Options --> security

Then untick the box "record the history for the last ... days" (or something that's like that)

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
You can set it to clear private data including history every time you close it.

Tools>Options>Privacy

Check always clear my private data when I close firefox.

Click setting to modify what if clears.

LilRabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Diaperfur, Sissy, Incontinent, Carer
Yeah you can set it to have FireFox clear private data (and you can set that to include cookies, history, save form information, etc. with the click of a check box) every time you close the browser.

Role
Private
Yeah you can set it to have FireFox clear private data (and you can set that to include cookies, history, save form information, etc. with the click of a check box) every time you close the browser.
This. :thumbsup:

But since I leave the IRC open (which I use Chatzilla for, a FF extention), even if I close down my browser, information is still saved. I constantly have to use the "Clear Private Data" from the Tools menu anyway.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Lukie: you could also use Ctrl + Shift + Del. Does the same.

You can also set it to not ask you for confirmation.

Role
Private
True Marty... I've used that when someone was around and I wanted to discreetly clear it out.

But I'm not one for keyboard shortcuts. Ctrl+T for a new tab... that's about all I use.

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I don't like ff that much. I think it's great as a development tool with the web developer extension installed, but just for a regular browser it uses up waaaay too much ram. On mac I preffer to use safari, and when I'm on linux or windows I preffer Opera.

dallas

Contributor
Role
Other
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the help on Firefox. But I wish that the tabs were easier like on IE7. But it happens.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
I think Opera is the better browser (excluding extensions) as it has in-built email, RSS IRC etc. But until the day someone makes a decent adblock for Opera, I'll put up with firefox.

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the help on Firefox. But I wish that the tabs were easier like on IE7. But it happens.
Get the Tab Mix Plus extension.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
Dunno why this was revived but I thought I'd share my thoughts anyway.

Firefox is better than IE in almost every way imaginable. Why? I've been using it for about three years, no matter what people say, it's a LOT easier to use than IE, yet it has about 38,000 times more features.

Microsoft will not get Internet Explorer right until Windows 7 at -least-.

The market share for Firefox is enough to rattle IE's cage. Here's a little pie chart demonstrating this.

I still don't understand why the market share is so low. One rather ridiculous theory is that Firefox is open source, and now that Trusted Computing has slipped into the mass market, institutions are suddenly a lot more paranoid about Open Source software, deciding that it can't be "trusted". Either that or all the admins have their heads in the sand. If I was running the backbone of an entire school, I would try and keep the word "Microsoft" as out of the school as possible. Why?

Open Source is free, this saves a lot of money when you're deploying $200 software onto several hundred computers. That is thousands upon thousands of dollars that could be better spent than on some little "authentic" number.

Anyway, to get back on track, name one useful feature* IE has, and try and see if Firefox can't do it better.

* ActiveX is not a useful feature.

By the way, I'm looking at the Wikipedia article on IE, and whoever wrote/edited it is a complete berk. For example - "Initial release: 1995 (about 12-13 years ago)" If you can't figure out that IE was released 13 years ago when the year is right in front of you, something is wrong.

Another little fact, IE usage peaked in 2003, since then it has declined sharply.

Anyway, end of this rant...

Status
Not open for further replies.