Finding the right products

IcyBlue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Carer
I'm not IC and it took me a long time to realize that AB, DL and IC existed.. When I was 17 in 2010 I finally got a bit more understanding that my comfort was also others. From there it was still difficult to find products that had quality. It took me many years to find the perfect products for skin care, diapers and external protective layers. In 13 years technology has progressed significantly and there is an abundant range of products now.
So,
I have wondered how difficult it is to find the correct products for your needs as you are first understanding IC.
Does your health system in your country offer a good range of products if you have been formally diagnosed?
When there are so many different brands and styles of IC products for protection has it caused you to buy the wrong products?
When you search the internet it is monopolized by specific cheaper brands at least on Australia's internet. (Confidence Club and Depends)
Is it a problem finding the correct product or do these brands that appear for you, correct to your needs?

Hello!, those brands are what's mostly pushed at a global corporate level. Kinda like advertising for a well known international chain.
When I go online here in the U.S, those are the first to appear in ads because of corporate muscle.
I purchase specialized adult diapers /nappies from independent businesses that carry these higher absorbency products.

Reactions: IcyBlue
It took me some time to find the right products, but there are all types available, not all covered by insurance. The insurance only pays "basic care", very basic. First i bought completely on my own, the products i knew from TV and of course that did not work well.
So i ordered several samples from manufactures, i soon find out only the most absorbent products would work for me in the medical range, but this wont be payed by the insurance completely, so i bought additional products. Some time later i found the ABDL kind of diapers and got some samples without prints, when available, and was really positively surprised. (Betterdry, Rearz, InControl, Cloudrys)
The main suppliers in my country (Germany) are Tena, Attends, Molicare and Seni. You can get everything you need from this companies when you are ready for compromises, the problem with the insurance: You have to pick one of them and can't choose, same for the product itself, you will get one "basic" without extra payment, everything else is considered "luxury" (simpilfied).
I personally use Attends for basic care and pay about 50% by myself to get the product i prefer (Attends Acive 8 for "free" and A10 50% discount).
Additionally i buy from Molicare (Premium Elastic 8/9 for hot summer days) and Betterdry and Rearz (nighttime, long drives etc.), but i have to pay 100% by myself in that case.
I tried about 50 different diapers i guess. Theoretically you can get assistance, but i figured it out by myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: IcyBlue, Jorelaxed and hbic60
As also living in Germany, I'm in the same boat as Pino - he described very well how health support works here. "basic care" is covered by insurance, but those are really only very basic products, nothing which enables you to continue living your life in a proper way comparable as without being IC. I myself also learned that the additional charges you have to pay for the good products, delivered by the "official" health insurance partners, can be higher as if you buy the same product by yourself on other online stores.
So I buy my products by myself, I found after trying out around 2 or three months different brands and styles the Attends Flex (10) as daytime diaper and Tena Proskin Maxi as night diaper being for me personally a very good fit and fulfilling all my needs! And the monthly cost of around 70-80 Euro is OK for me.

Reactions: Pino, IcyBlue and Jorelaxed
Also took me a few year to find the just right products for me ! A lot of trail & errors !

I became incontinent before the world wide web was happening. The day I became incontinent, my wife had to run to a local chain pharmacy to buy anything that would allow me to step outside the shower. They carried Depend and Attends. She came back with Depend Briefs. The next day I was admitted to the ICU as I had become quadriplegic. I was kept in hospital diapers, which were worse than the Depend diapers. When I got out of the hospital 6 weeks later, my cousin had shipped us a large case (nearly 300) of Attends Institutional diapers. From the onset of my incontinence, I woke up every morning to a bed soaked in urine. After three months of changing the bed every day (with me in it) and needing my clothes and underpad changed after every wetting, we started our search for better diapers. The only resource available was disability magazines, as the medical community were clueless.

Through a magazine ad we found a retailer of adult cloth diapering supplies, which was a game changer. The cloth diapering retailer gave me samples of Molicare Super on a subsequent visit, as he had just been to Germany and was thinking of importing them. Those Molicare Supers made me realize that there were disposables available elsewhere in the world that would handle my level of incontinence. With the implementation of the web, and my family were early adopters, I found the first person to import Molicare to the USA, and later Abena. I also discovered ABDL during my searches for adult diapers. It was quite awhile before an ABDL company came out with a diaper better than the early Abena Abriform M4/L4. I had no interest in ABDL print diapers, but the ABDL companies pushed the envelope, and plain diapers better than Abena started being released. I spent many years as a guest on ADISC for its invaluable information on the latest release of diapers, especially ones that I would be interested in (I can wear in front of medical professionals without raising eyebrows).

In the USA, insurance rarely covers diapers. Hospice, Medicaid, and the Veterans Administration, are the only services that do offer diapers through every state, but the quality of what is covered by hospice and Medicaid varies greatly from state to state. I am not a veteran, so I do not know why the quality of what is covered by the Veterans Administration varies from one location to the next.

When you deal with severe incontinence, there is no "wrong" product, only products that must be used for specific situations. I have IBS and use cheap diapers in the morning until my bowel has finished emptying. I use pull-ups for quick doctor appointments. I use pads when airing out. Have I bought incontinence product that I regret? Yes, but I don't throw them away; I use them however I can. The bigger issue is when purchasing reusable products. If it doesn't work well for me, I won't use it. An example is the Threaded Armor line of adult diapers. Great product, but not good for me.

Search engines push things to the top that will provide ad revenue to the search engine company. You can specify a very specific product and still have it appear on page 2, if that company does not pay for advertising to the search engine company. It's the same everywhere in the world. I recently found a reusable incontinence supply company in Australia and am exchanging emails with them now, to determine what products might work best for me. It was a fluke that they came up in a search, because I happened to put the right combination of terms into the search engine. The company has been around for a long while, so I know it's the search terms and not because they are new.

It's difficult to find the right product(s), period. Even after you find them, manufacturers change the specs, prices change, reusable product wears out, and new product is being released. There's a constant hunt for what will work best.

A quick addendum... there are newer types of private health insurance, FSA and HSA, available here in the USA. These include a medical savings account. The insured is allowed to spend money from the account for health related items, including eligible diapers. This is a very simple description of how they work, but you occasionally you may see discussions in the forums about spending FSA or HSA money on diapers. There are rules and oversight that are very different between the two, leading to a lot of confusion, especially if one wants to buy diapers from the account and is not incontinent.

Most good medical supply stores will offer free samples
You go in and talk to someone and discuss your needs and issues. They will provide samples of diapers / pullups for you to try.
I went through tons of brands and styles before I settled on my daily diaper (Abena L4)

Back