Fear of Clowns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I was wondering if anyone here had a fear of clowns, actually, it would be more accurate to say how many people here are afraid of clowns.

I travel internationally as a humanitarian jester. While I very rarely run across people who are afraid of clowns in other countries, here at home I run up against a widespread fear of clowns and jesters.

Just a thought that turned into a post.

Role
Private
I suspect this is something honed in early childhood, and I think I can understand:

Bright colors, loud noises, balloons popping, weird stranger in facepaint ... it seems to have all the elements of creating an intimidating environment for a small child.

Or, these are just people who have seen Shakes the Clown.

Do you wear facepaint in your performances, or not?

Mitsukuni619

Moderated
Role
Babyfur, Diaperfur,
it's not CLOWNS i'm afraid of...its a total stranger walking up to me and tryna make friendly

T00L

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I wouldn't say i'm afraid of clowns now however I was when I was younger. I used to be scared by clowns and people in costume basically any situation where I couldn't identify the person. I'm not scared anymore but I do get really nervous and uncomfortable.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
You should be afraid of clowns. After all, everyone floats down here! I suppose lots of people do see clowns like the clown in Steven King's "It". As for me, meh.

B

Butterfly Mage

I think that many people have at least a slight subconscious unease about clowns. I've never been to a Halloween exhibit where the "haunted house" didn't have an "evil clown" section.

steel

Est. Contributor
I hate clowns. When one is coming towards me I'll try to hide or just go the other way. Clowns are very scary.

sneakydl

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
A clown and a little girl are walking into the woods at night.
The little girl looks up to the clown and says, "I'm scared".
The clown looks down at her with a smile and says,
"Quit yer bitchin', I have to walk back alone".

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I really don't mind them, however I might freak out if I was say, surrounded by clowns attempting to give me balloons and dancing or something like that.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
According the wikipedia, it's an American popular culture thing... having a famously comedic thing be portrayed as evil or scary.
Which is why I guess other countries aren't afraid but it's widespread 'back home'.

I don't think clowns are inherently scary, just exposure to evil ones will have a negative effect on the fun ones.

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Fear is too strong a word. I do find them a bit creepy though. They're always a good thing to throw into horror movies when they need spicing up.

Crassi

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I can honestly say that I am absolutely terrified of clowns. When I see one I totally freak out, I panic. I don't know why, and I certainly don't have anything against the people behind the make up, but clowns just put me in terror.

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I am scared of clowns but not jesters

Heck I have played a jester before was very fun! yay shiny pruple unitards!

Maxicoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Sissy, Little
CLowns are really creepy. Stephen King's "IT", I hate that movie.

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I think it has something to do with the appearance of some clowns vs. our expectations (or some sort of cultural defaults) on what's friendly and fun.

As a sort of follow-up question: how many of us, as children, were afraid of Santa Claus?

I don't remember being afraid of St. Nick, but I'm told the concept/individual terrified me as a wee lad (to the point of tears).

Clowns don't necessarily inspire fear, but the impersonal side of the concept of a clown is to an extent disturbing. Didn't a Peewee Herman movie illustrate this? (Wow...kind of ironic...).

Bottom line though, comedy is comedy, and in the end, the laughs are what counts. I think the personal side to the concept of clowning is nice. So, clowns, don't do too much to disguise your personality, your human side. Masks freak people out.

Status
Not open for further replies.