Favorite Programming Language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
What is your favourite programming language. I use PHP the whole time for websites but can't stand RoR.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'd have to say either C or Python. C++ is fine too. I like Ruby, but never tried Ruby on Rails.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Old school HTML that's all I know how to do. I've seen programs like Dreamweaver but for sertion things it's better to do it the old fation way.

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
As far as scripting goes PHP, that's what we've been taught in class and it beats the hell out of all other scripting languages I know. I'm a fairly proficient PHP programmer. For actual compiled programming languages, I quite like C and C++, and I know a little Java. But I'm still learning in that area. If all goes well and I manage to get into uni next year I'll be quite happy and I will come to learn others.

moocow

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
im going with what kevintje said. I know the basic stuffs in php, mysql, batch, visual basic script, java, used to know a little visual basic, and i guess i can throw html in there even through its technically not a programming language.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
My OP was very short so I'll elaborate a bit here.

I run websites as a hobby, any I use PHP/MySQL applications. (with the exception of a perl db backup program). As far programs I write myself, for websites they have been PHP/MYSQL/AJAX sites.

In my (repetive and short-lived) forays into desktop programming, I have attempted to learn Java, C++ and Visual Basic. Java is the only one I've managed to stick at for any length of time.

I hear a lot of discussion on web design forums about RoR and when I decided to try it, while it may be good for new programmers I personally find:

Code:
for(i = 0; i<10; i++) {
print i;
}
to make much more sense than:
Code:
10.times puts |i|

inquantum

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I learnt the basics for my diploma.

C, Java, HTML, SQL, VB and uP programming.

I used to sell my 'services' online, where one needs a project done and I complete it for them for a small fee. Those were my enterprising days. Too bad I grew lazy.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
My OP was very short so I'll elaborate a bit here.

I run websites as a hobby, any I use PHP/MySQL applications. (with the exception of a perl db backup program). As far programs I write myself, for websites they have been PHP/MYSQL/AJAX sites.

In my (repetive and short-lived) forays into desktop programming, I have attempted to learn Java, C++ and Visual Basic. Java is the only one I've managed to stick at for any length of time.

I hear a lot of discussion on web design forums about RoR and when I decided to try it, while it may be good for new programmers I personally find:

Code:
for(i = 0; i<10; i++) {
print i;
}
to make much more sense than:
Code:
10.times puts |i|
Actually I think the whole blocks and iterators thing is pretty handy. Of course, in python you could have just said

Code:
print '\n'.join(map(str, range(10)))
:p Ok or probably not.. but still

Code:
for k in range(10):
    print k
I think is a bit more elegant.

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Anyone here do any assembly? I'd love to learn it for x86 instruction sets, but I only currently use it for Atmel AVR development, and now that they have a C compiler for AVR, I use it even less.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I do a bit of x86 assembly, though I'm no expert. I recently had to use it to implement some operating systems services for OS class.

Little ollie

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
You sad gits!!!!!!!

Says the one who's going to start 6 years of college and uni to do computers.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Haha, I just completed my 5th year of college for just that. One more to go (unless I decide to go back for even more) :p.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yeah, I died a little inside when I saw that lolcode haha. They even have exceptions in it ..

Status
Not open for further replies.