• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevintje

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
music = art

and as all art, you like some, and for others you have to take a step back (sometimes WAAAAY back) to appreciate it.
the thing is... music is also holding cultures together (the 'groups' of ppl that listen to the same music). but WHY do many ppl just like 1 style of music?
I really got mad at friends of mine today, cuz they tought I had no feeling for music, since I didn't know some guitar hero song... well EXCUUUUSE me, but it's not cuz I don't know the name of a song, I don't have 'feeling' for music... :-/

I like all kinds of music, but it's a personal thing, some you like, others you don't...

Ranger

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
Country, some metal (A few Iced Earth songs), pop, talk, easy listening, and rock (KISS, Dragonforce, etc)

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Has anyone ever heard of a band called "Down"? It's really southern-influenced rock and their singer reminds me a little bit of soundgarden. I just found them last night, and I figured I'd share the find, if anyone else is into that sort of music.

Role
Private
pretty much all of the above. i listen to just about everything. i've never understood why people limit themselves so much.

i have this one friend who's sort of like my folk music buddy. we're both fiddle-players and we get together and play a lot of irish and old-time american folk tunes. one time i tried to play her a skinny puppy album i'd been listening to a lot lately. she was like "WHAT!? you listen to THIS!? i thought you were a FOLK musician!"

...just cause you like folk music doesn't mean you can't also like screaming hardcore industrial. ._.

i also tend to run with kind of an indie-rock crowd, so it surprises a lot of people that i listen to stuff like muse and nine inch nails that's really popular. i almost have to hide it from some people, as if i'm less cool because i listen to stuff other than twee indie pop bands that only like twelve people in the entire world have ever heard of. believe me i LOVE music like that, but i don't understand how people can listen to local indie rock exclusively and never explore any of the other great stuff out there.

...just cause it's popular doesn't mean it's not cool. ._.
Yeah definitely!

Aside from those examples I posted, it's not to say that that is what I solely listen to. Exploring and expanding your interests can be incredibly fun and beneficial. In fact, if I had never done that, I would have such a small music collection. Every artists has their own style, so finding something that hits just the right notes with you can be quite an experience.

Limiting your musical tastes isn't bad, but why do it when there is a huge array of music on offer.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Rock. Most of it.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sum 41, Breaking Benjamin, Breaking Point, Muse, Nine Inch Nails, Three Days Grace, 3 Doors Down, Crossfade, Cold, Story of the Year, Hoobastank, Godsmack, Avenged Sevenfold, Rise Against, Shinedown, Nickleback and Dragonforce

But I have a lot more I listen less. More the classic Rock stuff. (doesn't make it bad)

Eric Clapton, Queen, Linkin Park, Dire Straits, Jars of Clay, Supertramp, Stealer's Wheels, Nirvana, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Oasis, Mark Knopfler And many more

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
tinyurl! brilliant!!

i've been trying to figure out if there's a way to circumvent the way youtube videos are automatically embedded. it's nice sometimes, but i want to be able to turn it off if i need to. very clever, darksun! :D

EDIT: i suppose the real credit rightfully goes to fallen. very clever, fallen! :D

Last edited:
X

xdeadx

R&B has nothing to do with hip-hop. I ahte that misconception. Anyways if I had to choose a favorite it would be R&B or Classical. But I really like nearly all types of music, the only thing I really don't like(yet I can still tolerate) Is like screamo, death metal kinda stuff =\

J

Jag

I'm a blues guy here, which is apparently not on the option list. All of the music I love is directly linked to it.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
R&B has nothing to do with hip-hop. I ahte that misconception. Anyways if I had to choose a favorite it would be R&B or Classical. But I really like nearly all types of music, the only thing I really don't like(yet I can still tolerate) Is like screamo, death metal kinda stuff =\
I personally hate R&B, because it makes me think of Soulja Boy.

Roland

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Rock {Explain}
*Alternative Rock : Radiohead, Muse, Coldplay, The Killers, Oasis, the lot.

*Post Punk : the best genre maybe ever? The Fall, Joy Division, Siouxsiee, Bauhaus..

*Punk : This started everything above. Pistols, Ramones, Misfits, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, etc

*Classic : Older stuff is listenable too. I don't mind Iron Maiden, Queen or other classic rock/hard rock/heavy metal at all.

I also like another 4389437 genres, but I won't list them all

Pop
Not pop as you know it. Pop bands that make the music. e.g The Cure. Yeah, they're a pop band, New wave pop :p
I don't like Pop in it's current form, such as Britney spears, Shakira and what else you might tag as today.

But, I've mostly stuck to Emo
Emo as in Fall out Boy and Panic at the disco, which aren't actually (Both mainly fall under 'Pop punk with a melancholy lyric point'), or Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, Fightstar, Senses fail and other revivalists/old skoolers? If your talking about the second, we have something in common there :p
I'm not being rude to you, I was just wondering. Either way you answer, it's fine.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I have liked webcasting radio stations from other markets, lately:
http://www.kexp.org Seattle (community radio)
http://www.jazz88.org San Diego (old jazz)
http://www.kuoi.org Moscow, Idaho (University)

I do like indie music a lot, but agree that it's good to explore. It's not good to like anything just because it's "cool" to like it or it gets you into a certain crowd. I could never be a goth, but I like a little bit of goth music at times.

Anyhow, some of my most recently added to iTunes is:
Frightened Rabbit
Midnight Oil
Vampire Weekend
Butter Glory
Orange Juice
Jefferson Airplane
A Flock of Seagulls
Jesus and Mary Chain

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
i like happy hardcore mostly. that, speedcore, then all the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.