• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Favorite Ethnic Restaurants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekk

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
What is your favorite ethnic restaurant?

I like Thai restaurants the best.

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Whoa--Russian! Cool. I don't think I can name a single Russian restaurant.

I like all sorts of food. I've enjoyed every 'ethnicity' of food that I've tried. If I had to pick one right now, I'd pick German.

bdb2004

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Real Japanese restaurants... though those are pretty hard to find in the states... I'll settle for anything that does sushi without completely Americanizing it...

D

DominatingMommy

Italian or Japanese, and there isn't any good ones around here.

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
Italian. Unfortunately my hometown sucks for Italian food, but one has rumored to have been opened in my town. Will be checking it out on a day off work.

WildThing121675

Role
Private
Genuine Chinese or Thai; I also really enjoy a good Japanese or Chilean restaurant and meal. :)

Role
Other
Mostly it depends upon my mood, but I like a good Mexican restaurant at times, but nothing beats a good Polish restaurant.

Role
Private
Mostly it depends upon my mood, but I like a good Mexican restaurant at times, but nothing beats a good Polish restaurant.
I have never had the opportunity to eat at a Polish or (above) Russian restaurant. :(

Educate me a bit ... besides perogi (and the Russian counterpart peroshki) and (the Russian) bliiny (sort of like blintzes/crepes; I'm sure that the Polish have something similar) ... what is the typical fare of a worker for lunch? For dinner?

Role
Other
I have never had the opportunity to eat at a Polish or (above) Russian restaurant. :(

Educate me a bit ... besides perogi (and the Russian counterpart peroshki) and (the Russian) bliiny (sort of like blintzes/crepes; I'm sure that the Polish have something similar) ... what is the typical fare of a worker for lunch? For dinner?
I'll be honest, I don't know what a typical lunch or dinner is in Poland. I do know that the food I am used to is "peasant" food. My parents on their first visit to see relatives in Poland, shocked them when they asked for pierogi and other things because that was "peasant food." Since my grandparents were both from poor farming families, I am surprised that my cousins were surprised that's what parents asked for.

I am also not going to be able to give you Polish names for the food, I know how to pronounce (badly) some of them, but spelling them is beyond me.

Pierogi, I can spell that but differently from you, which can be stuffed with just about anything.
Cabbage rolls, which is a leaf of cabbage filled with a combination of various ground meats; beef, veal, lamb, pork etc.
Charnina or duck blood soup, just what it says.
Borscht or beet soup.
Sausage of various sorts.
Barley
Cabbage and sour kraut.
Just about any part of a pig, (what my dad sees in pickled pigs feet is beyond me)
potato pancakes
there are various noodle, potato, cabbage, beet and other common foods dishes.

bigos, hunters stew, definitely not peasant food. Apparently it was best after day seven. (You go out hunting and just keep tossing in whatever you happened to kill that day.)

List of Polish cuisine dishes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is a fairly good list.

Mingus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
North Indian--tends to be far better in the UK than in the US. Also a big fan of sushi and Thai food, although I can't afford them often at all. The local takeout (which is terrific) is way, way cheaper. There's supposed to be a South Indian place near me which is great, but I've never been.

Role
Private
I trust your spelling over mine. :)

I really enjoy the peasant-class food of the countries I mentioned ... except I'd likely call it "rustic" or "basic." Russia and Poland may be something like Rome, in that the masses ate extremely basic - but healthy - fare, and the wealthy ate more sugars and less-healthy food.

However, like you, I have my limits. I will not eat a rooster's comb (the fleshy crest they have on their heads) or chicken feet. Or pig's feet. Or the feet of anything. The Chinese, however, do eat these things. There's also a group (Vietnamese? Cambodian?) that eats live octopus after dipping it into chili oil. Again, not for me. :D

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I have a hard time deciding between Japanese and Vietnamese. There are great places for both in my town. It'll have to be a draw. If I've had too much of those I'll likely go for Indian. To local place's Lamb Garlic with Pappadam is just awesome.

The next thing on my list to try is Cajun food. It sounds delicious but you can't get it here and if I tried making it myself it would probably taste awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.