Favorite Children's Medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Do/Did you have a favorite?

I always enjoyed a good cough syrup with wild cherry flavoring added.:smile: That was the only part of catching a cold I liked.:D In fact, I've never had a cough syrup I didn't like when I was a kid. I also enjoyed sucking on cough drops put out by Luden's, Vicks, and Smith Brothers. Cherry, again, was my all time favorite flavor, but I also enjoyed the black licorice flavored SB cough drops. A box of them cost 10 cents when I was a kid, which seemed pricey because a box of candy the same size was only 5 cents. So, as good as they tasted, I'd rather get two boxes of candy for my money than one box of cough drops.

Another medicine I enjoyed was children's Coricidin for congestion from colds. The tablets were small, covered with colored speckles, and chewable. They had a great taste! Coricidin still makes congestion medicine, but I haven't seen the children's version for many years.

For sore throats, there was a lozenge that used to come in a round, clear tube. The lozenges were round, flat, either yellow or pink (memory is shot on that one) and stacked about 10 or 12 in the tube. Can't remember the name, and haven't seen them for ages either, but they had a very pleasant flavor and helped numb the throat.

For constipation, Fletcher's Castoria liquid was the best! It had a licorice flavor I loved. Second choice was chocolate Exlax until I OD'd on it one night while craving candy when I was six. After that I couldn't stand the taste or smell of it, even to this day 52 years later!

In more recent times, when our kids were little, we've had liquid Tylenol and Advil for fevers. Sometimes when my wife or I would get a bad headache and be out of the adult pills, the children's pain/fever reliever would be substituted. The liquid Advil tasted pretty good, but had an aftertaste*twang* to it. The liquid Tylenol was more cherry flavored, reminding me of medicines taken when I was little. The only problem with using children's Advil or Tylenol is that you have to drink more of it to equal an adult dosage, which makes it much more expensive to use. Tylenol has now come out with a cherry liquid which is made stronger for adults to take. I think that was a good idea because some people have problems swallowing pills and, too, adults like me can feel like a kid again having cherry flavored medicine to take without needing to drink half the bottle to get the adult dose.:wink:

~Pramrider

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent, Carer
For sore throats, there was a lozenge that used to come in a round, clear tube. The lozenges were round, flat, either yellow or pink (memory is shot on that one) and stacked about 10 or 12 in the tube. Can't remember the name, and haven't seen them for ages either, but they had a very pleasant flavor and helped numb the throat.
Cepacol!

I dont have a a favorite... per say...
I do/did enjoy the after taste of menthol.

Oh! and Johnson's Vapor Bath... ^.^

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Cepacol!

I dont have a a favorite... per say...
I do/did enjoy the after taste of menthol.
Yes, I was always looked at as being strange because I liked the taste of Hall's Mento-Liptus. They don't get much more menthol-ly than that.

Nope, wasn't Cepacol. Good try though. These were thinner than Cepacol and not translucent or individually wrapped. They were flat, round discs kind of like Necco Wafers only smaller in diameter. Less than an 1/8" thick from what I can remember. I'll have to ask my older sisters next time I see them. The lozenges worked pretty well for sore throats and weren't strong tasting at all.

~Pramrider

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Cherry Vick's throat spray. So awesome how it numbs everything on contact lol.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
We're supposed to have a favorite? I threw up once when I had a liquid medicine and I just choke down pills now.

I guess that leaves ginger ale! :D

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other, Private
I always like'd the cough syrup pills alot.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I get addicted to Hail's cough drops when I have a sore throatl I will usually go through a pack when I have a sore throat and then another once i'm cured because I love the taste and I loe to suck on them.

weswissa

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
When I was a kid, they had me take a bubble gum medicine for my Asthma. It tasted delicious.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
The only medicines I remember taking as a child were "Children's Chewable Aspirin" (by Bayer), and Jack & Jill Cough Syrup (by Vicks)...I wasn't sick much (as is attested to by the fact that the only time I missed school was when I had measles in 1st grade and the flu in 3rd grade)

As I recall the chewable aspirin had an orange-like taste (they were definitely orange in colour) and the cough syrup was cherry flavoured.

My kids liked the banana-flavoured antibiotic they used to get for ear infections 'n the like....some liquid derivative of penicillin (they were both allergic to the bubblegum flavoured sulfa medications).

Now, I pop extra-strength Advil (ibuprofen) like it's candy and when I have a sore throat...honey-lemon Halls. I'm really not sick that much...except the occasional headache and/or migraine.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Gosh... what was that stuff... oh! Dimetapp... grape-soda flavored... could drink a whole bottle.

Personally I think it is dangerous to make kids medicine taste too good... could lead to overdose if the kid got their hands on it. Medicine is supposed to taste nasty.

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I can remember my favourite medicine was Lisomucil, a cough syrup.

I can still remember the one I used to hate, Tachipirina, a medicine to let the temperature go down

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I wouldn't say I have a favorite children's medicine...Although I do like cough drops...I could eat those all day

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Personally I think it is dangerous to make kids medicine taste too good... could lead to overdose if the kid got their hands on it. Medicine is supposed to taste nasty.
Yes, that could be a concern tasting TOO good, and important to keep medicines put away where kids can't easily get to them. Overdosing on cough medicine when I was little could have been very serious because, not only prescription syrups, but many over the counter syrups contained codeine back then.

Ayanna, I remember our kids getting prescriptions for the banana flavored antibiotics. Must be good stuff because they never complained about taking it. And I also remember the chewable orange children's aspirin when I was a kid. They did taste pretty good.

~Pramrider

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Hmm... don't have one. The only medicine I ever had to take was paracetamol, and when I was young I wouldn't take pills, so it was this foul tasting syrup. I didn't take any pills until I was 11. Then I had to take these really tiny ones which didn't catch in my throat too much. I didn't take any other pills until I was 14. I hated the taste of syrupy paracetamol and couldn't take pills. To make matters worse, between the ages of 4 and 8 paracetamol would make me through up if I took it and had eaten in the past few hours (about 3 or 4), so I really do not have a favourite medicine.

D

daria7483

I'm surprised no one has mentioned liquid amoxicillan (the pink stuff). YUM! As an adult I've tried to get my doctor to prescribe it but they insist that I need too high of a dosage and prescribe it in pill form instead. I don't understand why they can't just give me a larger bottle.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
I'm surprised no one has mentioned liquid amoxicillan (the pink stuff). YUM!
My daughter had it once and she turned out to be allergic to it. Both her cheeks turned blood red from a rash. She liked the taste, but we quickly had to get her switched over to the banana flavored stuff. After that, both our kids always got banana.

~Pramrider

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't like the stuff. Not liquid, nor tablet. If I have a pill I need lots of water or another drink to go with it. If it's anything like acetaminophen, ibuprofen or percocet, then I need milk and food with it, or I'll puke. It's always recommended but I can usually say whatever, but with those it takes maybe 20 minutes and my stomach will be empty.

D

diaper_dud3

For me best medicine was calpol tasted amazing and sure it still does used to like being ill just so i could take it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.