• Note: ADISC does NOT allow personal ads. This includes "looking for ____" or "anyone in ____" type introduction posts. To write a good introduction, focus on explaining who you are, NOT what you are looking for. The goal should be to help other people get to know you a bit.

Farewell folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysterious

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
Well, I think I'm on my way out as well. I may lurk once in a while, but I'm out. I just don't like how this place has become. I don't post a whole lot to begin with anyway. May be for good, not sure yet. Either way, later everyone.

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Well Bye and I can't blame you....I'd been thinking about leaving too until this place get back to normal.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
i think a lot of people are leaving, and i don't blame them. some of the thing that have been happening on this site lately are pretty depressing.

take care zyph, and keep in touch. i'll miss you. :(

Ultima

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Well I do have to say it's a shame to see you go, we've had some pretty good talks/discussions on IRC. But I guess when you feel you need to go, it's best to do what you think is best. Take care in all you do, I wish ya nothing but the best =]

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Beats me why people feel the need to leave rather than to help improving the site. If this place means so much to you the way it was before, or the way it could be, why do you just drop it like a hot potato rather than taking the time to make it better?

Peachy

Kovy

is back, baby!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
No! I'm sad to hear that. Well, I hope you'll visit sometime.

I'm glad I knew you on here.

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Everybody's different. Some feel the changes as alienating, others as stimulating. Each member can make choices independently of others, so some are staying and some are going. To you, Zyph, and any others, I wish good health and internet peace.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
oh noes new people are coming in our clubhouse, lets leave and not give them a chance to learn or change ....drama /sigh

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Goodbye Zyph, well hopefully not. With a little luck, I should still see you on msn and skype plenty.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
You've taken a couple extended vacations in the past (with good reason) and I hope you'll be back after this one as well. I think we need the not very active posters too, and I'll miss seeing your scary dog avatar. Hope you'll at least still pop up in IRC from time to time.

B

Butterfly Mage

Z, I have to admit that the VIP drama made me feel pretty darned unwelcome too. I've noticed that almost *ALL* of the people leaving are VIPs with REP in the 10-30 range. I don't think that's a coincidence. The clique that I term "the inner circle" spent three weeks straight bemoaning how 90% of the membership is "unworthy" and how the "inner circle" needs to put up additional rings of defense between them and us.

The mods screwed up. They should never let morale get this bad this fast.

ADISC isn't supposed to be a site that caters to the dozen or so people with REP+50 / 12+Month. But you wouldn't know it given the atmosphere around here lately.

What I humbly invite you to do is maybe drop by in six weeks to see if the drama has cooled down to some acceptable level.

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Z, I have to admit that the VIP drama made me feel pretty darned unwelcome too. I've noticed that almost *ALL* of the people leaving are VIPs with REP in the 10-30 range. I don't think that's a coincidence. The clique that I term "the inner circle" spent three weeks straight bemoaning how 90% of the membership is "unworthy" and how the "inner circle" needs to put up additional rings of defense between them and us.

ADISC isn't supposed to be a site that caters to the dozen or so people with REP+50 / 12+Month. But you wouldn't know it given the atmosphere around here lately.

What I humbly invite you to do is maybe drop by in six weeks to see if the drama has cooled down to some acceptable level.

Would you mind leaving rep out of this discussion? Part of the drama is people complaining about rep all the time and in every (unrelated) thread!

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
So... we have identified a problem. There is a solution ya' know?

The solution is to take discussions about rep to a separate thread (of which we have had and still have many!).

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Yet none of those threads seem to solve anything... do they? What is the logic behind having a discussion if little is done to address the real issue? It's like using a bandaid on a broken arm. You may feel better for a minute, but the problem is just going to rear its ugly head again soon.

Maverick

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
So long, Zyph. You're right, you didn't post very much, but when you did, it was often insightful. Hopefully you'll be back on ADISC once the drama has cooled down. I'm glad to have gotten to know you. See you on AIM. :)

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Well, I think I'm on my way out as well. I may lurk once in a while, but I'm out. I just don't like how this place has become. I don't post a whole lot to begin with anyway. May be for good, not sure yet. Either way, later everyone.

Well Bye and I can't blame you....I'd been thinking about leaving too until this place get back to normal.

i think a lot of people are leaving, and i don't blame them. some of the thing that have been happening on this site lately are pretty depressing. :(

I had been complaining lately (esp in chat) about the exodus of many people I liked, unique voices of long standing whose presence really added to the character of Adisc. Each had their own particular reasons to go but I thought I was seeng a trend: turns out I was.

Now elsewhere I have written that growth means change, and inevitably, differences will arise between TBDL and ADISC, or early ADISC and latter ADISC; and some of them may expose dangers to the site, mostly in its becoming unmanageable. Blame is not the issue, catching problems early and fixing them, or adapting to new conditions is the optimal approach.
see
http://www.adisc.org/forum/vips-forum/9308-differences-between-tbdl-adisc-3.html#post197202
During the time I have been back, since my last absence (undercover, then-I'ld-have-to-kill-you-stuff, government denies all knowledge etc.) I have found ADISC is in fact different from just being a larger TBDL; many of these differences are as subtle as they are significant, and have taken a while to discern. There is a bigger younger contingent; I have no stats to back this up in terms of median or average age; I am going on my impressions. Now it may well be that statistically, nothing's changed from the 20-something dominant crowd I am used to. There are, to be sure, more people with professions that imply being 25-30 at least. There seem to be many more who admit to middle age, as I do. However, %ages don't tell a whole story. A population with 48 Democrats, 48 Republicans and 1 Communist (and say 1 environmentalist, and 1 anarchist - to make 101 - damn anarchist!) does not behave in the same way as 4900 Democrats, 4900 Republicans, 100 environmentalists, and 105 anarchists (damn anarchists! someone's double-voting!) Individuals, small groups, large groups, and collections of small groups all behave a bit differently; with our size of membership one person may well be in all the above. One anarchist might mean occasional vandalism, or self-published pamphlets being printed, handed out, and dropped unread, to the dismay of the environmentalist. 100 anarchists have meetings, cells, and collective action. 1 environmentalist picks up after the anarchist; 100 environmentalists can get anti-littering bylaws enacted.

Cliques are appearing: or just clumps. Groups of like-minded people. This is fine - I am not complaining - there's room for all, especially with the variety of forums, sub-forums, and threads we have. This is a perfectly normal bodily function of a healthy, growing ADISC-organism. I am saying it makes a difference. For one thing, our mods sometimes appear spread thin: unavoidably with an increasingly heavy workload, and continued high hiring standards. I no longer feel I should direct newbies to check out Administrative Stuff, as a hip-hop-happenin' place to be. It is just not as all-abuzz as other places, the way it used to be, where a greater number or %age of people cared about goings-on there; whether that is cause or effect, the upshot is that there does not appear to be much experimental admin is going on, definitely not as much as used to be. To be fair, much of that experimenting was to achieve goals that are now achieved or at least require less fiddling with: the rep system is stable, the admin roles are delegated and fulfilled, (Full-filled! hee hee) and the influx of new members continues un - or only a bit abated. (Say, when they come in spouting offensive *chan language; have an unsavoury heritage, or if they have opinionated, abrasive colourful voices that can no longer tolerated.) (There are now so many of us that nobody - without authorization from the highest levels - gets their own font. Handing out such privileges used to be arbitrary, but nobody minded when individualists could claim squatters' rights on a font or colour; now if you privilege one person the others feel they have a right too, so it is just easier to dispense with the whole privilege. As applies also, it seems, to teddies with their own colourful fonts.)

Fiddling with administrative stuff is also different with 200 active users than with 1200 active members and 5000 total. I note the resurgent conformity-police movement. This is endemic of a larger population which is more stringently subject to local by-laws. Before, cultural norms spread as memes member to member, more, and though codified, this was more meant as a guideline to be referred to. Now the code is moving towards being more of a law. Used to be I knew the local fruit on the beat, who would let me park in no-parking zones as he knew I had my reasons. Now I don't even see whoever is neg-chalking my tires. The grammar-nazi thing seems not recognize the exceptions that used to be part of our culture, even define it:
1. Wordplay by wordsmiths
2. Infant speak
(maybe we need special BB code tags to mark these two categories? Get your tags at city hall! Now there is a small administrative fee!)
3. Young, (like 13? 15?) or ESL (English as a second language) - people - or other can't-help-its.

Good writing is of course a cultural institution here, and one I like; but we are formalizing a social institution into not just a codified but an externally regulated one. We have an award of recognition for our most stringent Grammar-Nazi! Now it has capitals! Our award is an award of recognition - but how long before it is an award of congratulation? Grammar-Nazis, we salute you! Wait, the grammar police are scowling and tapping their neg-reps at the ones who didn't salute... Soon there will be fines... And Liberal-funded schools to improve the minds of newbies... since they will be heckled...

I don't think monkeying with our awards or the values they represent is the way, or at least an effective way, to fix or promote our social values; many - may not think they need fixing at all. Those awards reflect our values. They were voted on by a very respectable democratic system of primaries (nominations) to be later followed by the general voting. Democracy go awry? Can't. Ever.

If it does, is the democratic process to blame or something deeper in the society? I say something deeper; there are trends I don't much like, though I am aware that such apparent trends may be partly a product of my fevered brain or due to my awareness of the small fraction of ADISC I keep an eye on. Regardless (not irregardless - I am a lawful raccoon) I am not blaming anybody; such trends may be unavoidable in a larger society. They may be the result of disconnections occurring between groups and individuals, and because a handful of mods are kept busy with their own bailiwicks with less duties overlap, and their collective vision is somewhat fractured.

What does it mean when certain bunnies, foxes, wolves, bats, - even cows - who used to show up, at least in certain quarters at certain times - regularly, or even intermittently - but often enough to have a real, interactive presence have quietly disappeared? Even if they went of their own free will, does this not say something about our ecosystem? If so, what? (I miss Kuzzy too, though didn't get to know him as well as I would have liked, nor as well as I should have.) It means certain of our elder folks find the new environment disagreeable somehow.

Now, at least, I think I understand Redtails better when he says
I might just as well be the only one, but I really didn't like tbdl, it felt creepy because everyone was so close. I mean it felt like everyone had to couple with everyone for it all to work. Adisc offers much more freedom in this and it makes me feel more comfortable people aren't constantly on my neck

I think we are talking about similar phenomena, though what I liked about TBDL he didn't care for so much. Don't get me wrong- I like ADISC very much, and enjoy many of the features it has compared with TBDL. I most certainly am not ADISC-bashing, though I half expect to find a brick through my window tied to a note that says "Love it or leave it." (On the other hand, that would imply 1) people bothered to read my long, essay-like post, and 2) they cared enough to get riled up. Dobbs bless any such types!

Another thing about many of our recent immigrants. Many of them I am sure are genuine, but not highly emotionally vested. (This is not the same thing as simply being emotional.) One sign is the anonymoussy (analagous to "truthy") usernames: dlguy123, diaperfan222, Deecolon - though this is just a sign, not a sure sign. I don't want our earnest but naive recentlings to go harass the anonymousies over their names. Or any mousies. Many of them are shy, or at least not sure how to comport themselves; this suggests many of them are young and already know they are a bit non-mainstream, and are Quite Aware What They're Going Through - and don't wanna be picked on in the place you go to not to be picked on. Others see a Naruto - or some such - nucleating point, like the bench at the bus stop (the one with the shelter) and gather their in their waterproofs, out of the rain, strangers who already know each other. Others come to read the wiki-books from our library that used to be for sale (free) in the bookshops and don't interact as much: there's less need to. Many of them drop by more as tourists than as dwellers, though equally frequently; another symptom of urban sprawl; unsure of the stability of local property-values , where social policy (traditional or explicit) is starting to contradict, just a little (to start with) local by-laws and regulations; they are unsure of the mad raccoon talking to himself in the park,; and a little afraid to ask the elder statesmen busily going about their business.

And these are my pet theories to do with why, and how, I think TBDL is different from the brave, new, ADISC.

We have out own political correctness. Never used to, in quite the same way

Which is why it's great to be able to ask two people thinking of leaving and one who doesn't blame them to please elaborate on what is wrong with with Adisc; seeing who you are, folks who've been around, are respected, and know how to make a point, I know you could express yourselves lucidly and drama-less. And there would be much value in hearing what you have to say.

Please, before you sail off into the Grey havens (or drink the koolaid) please give your take on what would make you consider leaving. Please PM me if you would rather not post it.

Leaving is still a permanent move, I take it. This is understandable because of moral hazard: if we let people leave and come back easily there would be no end of drama. So please reconsider before you go.

Last edited:

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Zyph, it's a real shame to see you go, and I'm so glad that I'll still be able to talk to you over MSN. Those people who will never get to know you will lose out far more. And the people who will never get to see your contributions.

Hope that one day you decide to come back so we can see what you have to say again!

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
  1. Private
Beats me why people feel the need to leave rather than to help improving the site. If this place means so much to you the way it was before, or the way it could be, why do you just drop it like a hot potato rather than taking the time to make it better?

Peachy
My suggestion is to ban everyone who's gotten more than 2 legit neg-reps in the past 6 months and close registration completely.

Oh, you don't think it will happen either?

--Danny :ninja:

B

Butterfly Mage

Closing registration would pretty much doom this site. If people leave an no new people are allowed to come in, you'd have a double-digit membership in short order and that would be really boring.

Banning someone with REP-2 in a 180 day period? That's kinda harsh. In a thriving community, most people are bound to say something that offends someone else every once in a while. REP-2 could happen in 180 seconds if someone goofs up and two different people both issue a REP-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.