Not open for further replies.

PaddedDeist

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
Hummm... My first attempt to post this didn't work for some reason...

Anyhow, how many of you are going to catch--or have caught if you read this post-launch--of the new Falcon Heavy rocket? It looks like a good show and I hope it makes it and is able to put that Tesla Roadster into the Mars Transfer orbit.

Scott Manley has a nice video with some last-minute comments on the launch: https://youtu.be/Dvb3tbmIF1w

Launch can be seen here: https://youtu.be/wbSwFU6tY1c

I do love this video that SpaceX recently posted with David Bowie singing "Life on Mars?":

[video=youtube_share;Tk338VXcb24]https://youtu.be/Tk338VXcb24[/video]

Amazing launch but no news on the third core's landing yet.

It takes 6 months to get to mars

Well,the center booster crashed but two out of three is not bad. I also read an article that was saying that the craft overshot it's trajectory and is headed closer to the asteroid belt. Not a parfect test flight but SpaceX is good at learning from what went wrong. It also shows how powerful the rocket really is.

News is the core booster was lost. One report says a decent engine didn't re-ignite, and it crashed into the ocean at 300mph. This is still to be confirmed though.

Also, their payload booster was too powerful and worked too good. This was a surprise to spacex, and resulted in the tesla roadster overshooting mars. It now has an earth-main belt intersecting orbit.

This is actually a good thing though. Like Musk said, if they don't destroy the launch pad then he will be happy. It's also why they only sent up a dummy payload. It proves their system works.

And yes, I watched it live. Seeing the side boosters seperate and land in tandem was epic.

Slomo said:
And yes, I watched it live. Seeing the side boosters seperate and land in tandem was epic.

I thought so to. What an amazing accomplishment, even with its flaws!

Slomo said:

That was pure gorgeous science fiction!

Hopefully they got plenty of data to work out the kinks. But it certainly it shows the power of the rocket.

After playing KSP, I have seen how just a little too much burn at the right place can really throw your trajectory way off. I know its physics are not perfect, but they are good enough to show that point.

Sorry gang I am a die hard space fan , in my high school days I cut school to watch ever launch, or return saw challenger as it happened and new the unthinkable happened , my dad was an engineer for the gov, I had actual been in the shuttle as a kid , I love space and it saddens me that I may not live to see any new missions , I have exchanged APRS messages with the ISS and facilitated a school Q & A session with ISS via ham radio. I was really upset when the media considrred shuttle launch and recovery not news and basicly dropped most of the coverage, the one thing we hams can rebroadcast is space mission audio , so i would listen when the media dropped it from TV.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Update. So apparently the overshoot was on purpose. Apparently Musk or some other high up said screw it. Give it a 100% throttle till it burns out just to see what it's truly capable of. It did overshoot Mars, but didn't actually make it to the main belt after all.

The core booster was a fail though. It apparently did run out of fuel, or had a clogged line, or something. In prepping for the landing it luckily missed the bardge and hit the water hard- but intact. Spacex couldn't confirm it was safe for recovery though, so they called in the airforce to blow it up.

Tetra said:
Sorry gang I am a die hard space fan , in my high school days I cut school to watch ever launch, or return saw challenger as it happened and new the unthinkable happened , my dad was an engineer for the gov, I had actual been in the shuttle as a kid , I love space and it saddens me that I may not live to see any new missions , I have exchanged APRS messages with the ISS and facilitated a school Q & A session with ISS via ham radio. I was really upset when the media considrred shuttle launch and recovery not news and basicly dropped most of the coverage, the one thing we hams can rebroadcast is space mission audio , so i would listen when the media dropped it from TV.

I'm the same my dad put the men on the moon.
He was with launch crew with Apollo.
So I'm a space kid we were supposed to be living on the Moon by now and have a giant space station for vacations.
4 day work weeks.
We get so much good out of the space program many spin-offs medical technical goods .

foxkits said:
I'm the same my dad put the men on the moon.
He was with launch crew with Apollo.
So I'm a space kid we were supposed to be living on the Moon by now and have a giant space station for vacations.
4 day work weeks.
We get so much good out of the space program many spin-offs medical technical goods .
"We came for the lack of atmosphere & stayed for the velcro" my father was a major ass, but was one of the guys that designed the guidance system, and when the Hubble was blind I new why the defective mirror in the telescope was originaly mocked up in the basement of house with balloons, sand , and paper mache , until they did it in our basement they thought it couldn't be done , it was to large a task ,my dad was always the geek willing to try anything , and he was actualy very intelligent with no formal education beyond the 8th grade, there are things you probably touched today that he patented , and then sold the patents to companies like Morton Thiokol,Perkin Elmer and countless others as well as consulted for them , for other reasons he is in the Sminthosian and the Museum of natural history,his hobby was rock hunting & the family spent countless hours chiseling away at a previously thought garbage limestone face, nothing of any signifigance had ever been found in that area but limestone ,Galeena, and Mica. ,as a scientist he was amazing , as a father he really sucked (I have no blood related family maternal or paternal that will have anything to do with me because he was my father , that's a pretty harsh judgement when your a kid ,but i had nothing to do with him beyond just after 12 birthday)anyway it was from his work that i got the bug for space, much of his work is still classified ,I was 5 when I got my first security clearance, all three of us had to have clearance as soon as we learned the alphabet because a majority of his work was done at home , he went to the "office" maybe once a week, And we took trips to places that everyday familes didnt go to intentionaly White Sands, Alamogordo,Trinity site ,I went to "area 51" before I had any idea that was "signifigant". Well your dad led the way for mine then because mine started with NASA about '73.
Was your dad on the job when Apollo 1 prime went down ?or did he come on after .

Tetra said:
"We came for the lack of atmosphere & stayed for the velcro" my father was a major ass, but was one of the guys that designed the guidance system, and when the Hubble was blind I new why the defective mirror in the telescope was originaly mocked up in the basement of house with balloons, sand , and paper mache , until they did it in our basement they thought it couldn't be done , it was to large a task ,my dad was always the geek willing to try anything , and he was actualy very intelligent with no formal education beyond the 8th grade, there are things you probably touched today that he patented , and then sold the patents to companies like Morton Thiokol,Perkin Elmer and countless others as well as consulted for them , for other reasons he is in the Sminthosian and the Museum of natural history,his hobby was rock hunting & the family spent countless hours chiseling away at a previously thought garbage limestone face, nothing of any signifigance had ever been found in that area but limestone ,Galeena, and Mica. ,as a scientist he was amazing , as a father he really sucked (I have no blood related family maternal or paternal that will have anything to do with me because he was my father , that's a pretty harsh judgement when your a kid ,but i had nothing to do with him beyond just after 12 birthday)anyway it was from his work that i got the bug for space, much of his work is still classified ,I was 5 when I got my first security clearance, all three of us had to have clearance as soon as we learned the alphabet because a majority of his work was done at home , he went to the "office" maybe once a week, And we took trips to places that everyday familes didnt go to intentionaly White Sands, Alamogordo,Trinity site ,I went to "area 51" before I had any idea that was "signifigant". Well your dad led the way for mine then because mine started with NASA about '73.
Was your dad on the job when Apollo 1 prime went down ?or did he come on after .

Yes he was there when the Apollo crew lost their lives on launch pad two if I remember correctly.
He always thought it was awful stupid having it in a hundred percent oxygen environment which was contributed to the accident.
After my dad was out of the Air Force he went to work for Martin Marietta engine testing division.
Then he put the Titan 2 missiles in the silos in South Dakota and Arizona the Minutemen nuclear defense. Then was on to Nasa he worked on the launch crew
As you see on the movie Apollo 13 when the people switch seats he was part of launch crew and then after they were in Flight than the flight crew took over.
He would be there late at night charging the batteries on the Saturn V.
Once as a kid he was trying to impress my uncle so I got to get a tour of the Space Center where people normally don't get to go.
He was very much intelligent but like your dad he wasn't worth a crap as a dad.
He went to Chase and skirts it when I was 10 he skipped out on my mom and my sister.
Never paid support to us mom did it on her own bringing up two kids.
He passed away 7 years ago we were estranged we hadn't talked to each other for years.
But yes I have the space bug all our toys were space toys back then spaceships rockets and that was during the time of Lost in Space on TV I was the age of Will Robinson.
I remember wanting to stay up to see Star Trek and that was during its first runs.
I'm very smart but I wasn't writing smart so that's why I never went anywhere.
But again we were supposed to be vacationing on a space station where supposed to be on the Moon by now we were supposed to be exploring space.
We got so much good off the spin-offs from the space program the technology to go into space we can use here the stuff we're going to go to Mars with.
Will help us feed thousands or Millions just that technology alone the surgical clean rooms came from the space program because you couldn't have contaminants on Space equipment.
Bad thing is some say it's a waste of money .
The epoxies the glues the thing to build Rockets helps us in our technology today also.
Lol and Tang did not taste half bad either make some mean spice tea.

Last edited:
Oh yeah the epoxies, my father would only drive 1968 ford country squire station wagons , he would tent them with heatlamps for a couple of weeks, dry the bottoms of the cars out and then bring home 5 gallon buckets of epoxies and under coat them bumper to bumper laying it with a trowel,he was a freak about it.

He also had quite a reputation in the neighborhood as the guy who could fix anything but was "eccentric" as in if simple nut a bolt would do, he would "Rube Goldberg" some fancy contraption that was completely unneccasary , over engineered by Bob , there was the right way to do something and then the Bob way which might take three days ,but you would never have to fix it again or if you did nobody had any idea why it was done to begin with.

Boy those were the days , I hate to understate them but those definately were the "glory days" of NASA!, the entire nation was wrapped up in the space program ,everyone cared , like the night Skylab fell the entire nation was out in yards for a chance to see it burn up. I have an APP that tells me were all the sattelites are and when the ISS Is passing close,even my radios will control the azimuth and elevation to adjust antennas for uplink and downlink , you never know who's gonna copy your transmission or where , but thats part of the fun ,i know guys who hunt the birds with a hanheld beam an HT ,but we are in a very weird time ,many people alive today dont remeber that time in history let alone the nutjob conspiracy people who dont believe the moon landing happened ?

And yes we should have a colony on the moon and a vibrant thriving space culture ,but what do we do with money that could be using to advance science and learning we use it find new and different ways to kill ourselves , there was such great unity back then and the news wasnt filled with politics and hate (then again nobody has really ever filled Cronkite's shoes) he was the voice of so much in our lives.

Many Americans refer to "our" space program and the race to the moon,it shocks people when you tell them our program was Germany's, if we didn't have "operation paperclip" and get Von Braun somebody else would have been there instead of us ,the Germans were so far ahead in rocketry. And then men like your dad surrounded him with competent skills and knowledge.

Although it sure looks like our next team of rocket riders is going to owe it's ride to Elon Musk ,because Spacex is the only real game in town ,but i really hope we have a resurgence of that spirit we used to have , and dont shoot ourselves in the foot by not fully funding a space program ,thats what went wrong with shuttle program was the bean counters .ultimately without an all in effort & investment we wont succeed in even reinventing a lunar mission let slone anyplace further , i really believe were on the right thought track with orbital refueling or lunar fuel production, implementing it effectively will be the key. Years ago we put our eggs in the ISS and it never was fully realized with many nations just not taking it seriously and making it into the base of operations for growth it was intended to be.

Tetra said:
Oh yeah the epoxies, my father would only drive 1968 ford country squire station wagons , he would tent them with heatlamps for a couple of weeks, dry the bottoms of the cars out and then bring home 5 gallon buckets of epoxies and under coat them bumper to bumper laying it with a trowel,he was a freak about it.

He also had quite a reputation in the neighborhood as the guy who could fix anything but was "eccentric" as in if simple nut a bolt would do, he would "Rube Goldberg" some fancy contraption that was completely unneccasary , over engineered by Bob , there was the right way to do something and then the Bob way which might take three days ,but you would never have to fix it again or if you did nobody had any idea why it was done to begin with.

Boy those were the days , I hate to understate them but those definately were the "glory days" of NASA!, the entire nation was wrapped up in the space program ,everyone cared , like the night Skylab fell the entire nation was out in yards for a chance to see it burn up. I have an APP that tells me were all the sattelites are and when the ISS Is passing close,even my radios will control the azimuth and elevation to adjust antennas for uplink and downlink , you never know who's gonna copy your transmission or where , but thats part of the fun ,i know guys who hunt the birds with a hanheld beam an HT ,but we are in a very weird time ,many people alive today dont remeber that time in history let alone the nutjob conspiracy people who dont believe the moon landing happened ?

And yes we should have a colony on the moon and a vibrant thriving space culture ,but what do we do with money that could be using to advance science and learning we use it find new and different ways to kill ourselves , there was such great unity back then and the news wasnt filled with politics and hate (then again nobody has really ever filled Cronkite's shoes) he was the voice of so much in our lives.

Many Americans refer to "our" space program and the race to the moon,it shocks people when you tell them our program was Germany's, if we didn't have "operation paperclip" and get Von Braun somebody else would have been there instead of us ,the Germans were so far ahead in rocketry. And then men like your dad surrounded him with competent skills and knowledge.

Although it sure looks like our next team of rocket riders is going to owe it's ride to Elon Musk ,because Spacex is the only real game in town ,but i really hope we have a resurgence of that spirit we used to have , and dont shoot ourselves in the foot by not fully funding a space program ,thats what went wrong with shuttle program was the bean counters .ultimately without an all in effort & investment we wont succeed in even reinventing a lunar mission let slone anyplace further , i really believe were on the right thought track with orbital refueling or lunar fuel production, implementing it effectively will be the key. Years ago we put our eggs in the ISS and it never was fully realized with many nations just not taking it seriously and making it into the base of operations for growth it was intended to be.

Don't discount Blue Origin. They are still very much in the running, and plan to take the crown of heaviesr lifter too.
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/11/blue-origin-2020-debut-new-glenn-rocket/

Of course, Musk is now redirecting his attention to one up that too. If viable, this really would be a big f*****n rocket.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...2538/spacex-testing-new-rocket-bfr-next-year/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back