• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Fairness in Rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Greetings all.

I'll skip the explanatory BS and cut straight to the point. We need some fairness around here when it comes to rep.

New members can't receive neg-rep... but they sure can give it. People come on here to cause trouble, get called out on it by members in good standing, then loose their cool and start tossing out the neg-rep... and the rest of us are left empty-handed because we can't neg-rep them to shut them up.

I therefore propose that anyone who cannot receive neg-rep shouldn't be able to give it either.

In my mind... that is only fair.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I'll skip the explanatory BS and cut straight to the point. We need some fairness around here when it comes to rep.
[...]
Speaking of fairness of rep, I'm wondering how you went up about 10 rep in one day. You from like 73 to 83, you then got neg a neg rep or 2 for something, and then got positive rep (or it deleted) right away. Does that sound fair?

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Amazing what happens when Moo decides to delete many of your negative reps. Or are you jealous because I have more than you? :p

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
He just decided to delete a bunch of your probably warranted reps, out of the blue?

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
Here an idea, why not make giving rep a regular/VIP thing? By the time a newbie become a regular, they should know by then the con and pos of giving out rep.

A

aj1983

Well I'll agree newbies shouldnt be able to hand out reps, but only if its easy to change, how big/often of a problem can it be?

I think you are all worrying too much about reps, relax, you all have so many it really doesn't matter too much does it?

And just a note for the future, perhaps insted of calling out the newbie on their stuff in public just use the report post and tell a mod in private. Don't feed the trolls :biggrin:

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
He just decided to delete a bunch of your probably warranted reps, out of the blue?
He appealed the rep. So it was perfectly fair, the unfair part was the unjust neg-rep in the first place.
Here an idea, why not make giving rep a regular/VIP thing? By the time a newbie become a regular, they should know by then the con and pos of giving out rep.
I think this might be a good idea.
Or at least have them unable to neg-rep, as it's hardly essential for them to be able to do that.
And just a note for the future, perhaps insted of calling out the newbie on their stuff in public just use the report post and tell a mod in private. Don't feed the trolls :biggrin:
:thumbsup:
Exactly.

Ironically it was the person himself reporting other people's posts (people calling him out) that brought this to my attention, so I could do a speedy background check and ban him.

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
I am still of the opinion that any neg rep that is given means it should be reproted, so the button should eaither auto report the comment, or be replaced with a Report button that can reviewed and the rep given later.... Use the system we have to resolve problems properly.

Either way I agree newbies are new because they do not know the way things work yet, so have yet have the wisdom to -rep.

ajsco

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Why can't you just recieve VIP after 750-1000 posts or in exceptional cases (eg. angelabauer).

A

aj1983

Why can't you just recieve VIP after 750-1000 posts or in exceptional cases (eg. angelabauer).
What would be an exceptional case though? Everyone would say they were an exceptional case :smile1:

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
There is really no time limit on when you repeal reps i recently repealed negs i got darn near right when i rejoined adisc, and as a result my rep went up a good bit and i hit vip.

It's about quality not quantity.

Plus that would lock in the VIP status at a certain number of posts, which is a very unpopular idea.

I do agree with OP though if they can't receive negs they shouldn't be able to get them

Last edited:
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Here is a thought: Slashdot has a function where comment moderations (reps) are moderated. Perhaps we could implement a function where post reps are peer reviewed, probably blindly (ie the reviewer wouldn't know who they were reviewing)

babibear

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Or at least have them unable to neg-rep, as it's hardly essential for them to be able to do that.
I think negative 'repping' for those who are new isn't needed.

However, at least in my case while I was a newbie here a while back, i was hardly a newbie to ABDL and probably have more than enough experience to give out positive rep.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
I think newbies should be able to +rep, though not being able to -rep seems like a possibility. If the need arose they could report a post, like bullying.

Role
Private
Here is a thought: Slashdot has a function where comment moderations (reps) are moderated. Perhaps we could implement a function where post reps are peer reviewed, probably blindly (ie the reviewer wouldn't know who they were reviewing)
Yep.

I've brought up Slashdot's model before as the best (yet still flawed) implementation of a rep system I'm aware of. I've been on Slashdot since '97 or so and seen the thing go through a few cycles of innovation, bitching, confusion, and construction.

If there's something similar to this offered as a plug-in for vBulletin, I would encourage at least a trial. It seems the most equitable and least biased--although it's not immune to issues, but I think it may go a long way (via double-blind reviews and multiple reviews of a single post) to solving some of our issues here.

If there's not something similar, it may be an interesting feature request for the vBulletin folks.

I think such a system would fit with the culture we have here and go a long way to resolving the rep-treadmill that we seem to hop on from time to time as a community.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Greetings all.

New members can't receive neg-rep... but they sure can give it. People come on here to cause trouble, get called out on it by members in good standing, then loose their cool and start tossing out the neg-rep... and the rest of us are left empty-handed because we can't neg-rep them to shut them up.

I therefore propose that anyone who cannot receive neg-rep shouldn't be able to give it either.

Newbies *can* get negative rep!

Once they have accumulated two neutral (or positive) reps, they can be given negrep freely.
So, if a bunch of people agree that something they've posted deserves negrep, they will get some. As happened with a user the other day, who, despite being a newbie, managed to get all the way down to -7 rep.
The "must have two other reps first" limit on giving negreps to newbies is a limit put in place to prevent someone giving a newbie a single unfair negrep for their first post, and driving them away from the site as a result. It is not intended to make newbies completely immune to negrep.

Also, most of the invalid negrep given out is given out by regulars, not by newbies, so I don't think that prohibiting newbies from giving out negrep serves a useful purpose. If it turns out that most of the invalid negrep given out came from them, then I would rethink this, but, currently, that is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.