Fabric softener and plastic pants?

TheBob

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Would there be harm if added fabric softener to the washer when I do my plastic pants?

• Wow
Reactions: Angelapinks

Mickey

Waddling Mouse w/ASD
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
I think the fabric softener might leach out any plasticizers in the plastic pants making them more brittle. I suggest a non hash soap or detergent only on cold and hang to dry.

Reactions: ade, Angelapinks and GatoChihuahua

TheBob

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Thanks!

Lord knows all the pairs of plastic pants I destroyed by putting the plastic pants in the dryer instead of hang drying.

Reactions: GatoChihuahua

dpcare

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
fabric softener will also clog and reduce the absorbency of cloth diapers

Reactions: Napincolove

TheBob

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
dpcare said:
fabric softener will also clog and reduce the absorbency of cloth diapers
Thanks for the info.

I shall refrain from adding fabric softener with my dideeees.

littlemoosey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
In fact, you should not even put plastic pants in the washer, the soap will remove the plasticizer and they will get stiff. You will not get as much wear out of them as they will crack.

KindaOlde

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It depends on the pants. The washing instructions that came with mine say a regular machine wash. Add fabric softener only occasionally to keep the material pliable. Also hang to dry.

SparkyDog

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
Don't use fabric softener for anything diaper related

also don't use un general it's aweful on your washing machines

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
PUL plastic pants you can put in the washing machine, but not the other kinds. I rinse mine in the shower in the morning. They seem to last longer that way. I hang them up on a plastic hanger to dry.

Reactions: vp39, littlemoosey and GatoChihuahua

TheBob

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
dogboy said:
PUL plastic pants you can put in the washing machine, but not the other kinds. I rinse mine in the shower in the morning. They seem to last longer that way. I hang them up on a plastic hanger to dry.
Got it.

littlemoosey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
dogboy said:
I do the same thing, shower in the morning, occassionally I will take a bucket and put just a little bit of Johnsons Baby Shampoo in it and let them soak for a few minutes, rinse them and then like you do hangar dry them inside.

ben0510

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I wash mine in the washing machine on a delicates or a quick wash, with a temperature of about 30 or lower. then I take them outside and give them a quick shake (providing no one watching!) then I just hang them up in the spare room, and they dry in a couple of hours. I also do the same with my rubber pants. seems to work fine.

ben0510

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Maybe I should add, no I do not use fabric softner. just normal washing detergent is all I use.

Reactions: Angelapinks

vp39

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
There was a time when my wife was getting a skin rash that seemed to get worse when she was in bed. She even asked me to stop wearing my plastic pants to bed; after several days it clearly didn't help. She finally figured out that it was the fabric softener she was using. We quit using it, and I don't miss it at all.

VanHelsing

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Generally I shove my PVC pants in the washing machine with an "egg" cleaning product (an environmental cleaning product that looks like a egg but does not involve birds) and recent put them in a modern low temperature dryer. In the summer they go out on the line. The oldest pair must be coming up to 4 years old! So I can't be treating them that badly

Frungie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
As others have said, the best way to wash plastic pants to make them last is to wash them by hand with mild soap, rinse, pat dry with a towel and then hang up to air dry. Seeing them hanging up to air dry is also a reminder of how naughty you are.

Reactions: TheBob

TheBob

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Frungie said:
As others have said, the best way to wash plastic pants to make them last is to wash them by hand with mild soap, rinse, pat dry with a towel and then hang up to air dry. Seeing them hanging up to air dry is also a reminder of how naughty you are.
Would Dreft soap work?

Fireball44

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Incontinent
ben0510 said:
I wash mine in the washing machine on a delicates or a quick wash, with a temperature of about 30 or lower. then I take them outside and give them a quick shake (providing no one watching!) then I just hang them up in the spare room, and they dry in a couple of hours. I also do the same with my rubber pants. seems to work fine.
You wear pantyhose with your diaper? Thanks for the washing tips/

Rita

Padded Rita
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Back when I was use to wear plastic panties I try that.
NOT very good idea !!
Its best to hand wash and dry them !! Will last a lot longer.

Angelapinks

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Incontinent
TheBob said:
Would there be harm if added fabric softener to the washer when I do my plastic pants?
I only ever wash plastic pants by hand with mild baby detergent and then rinse in a tub with warm water. One plastic tub for washing and one for the rinse. Then I hang to dry.

Last edited: