Every style has good music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Before I explain: NO "[genre] sucks", it's the whole point in the thread!

Since there are so many people who say a certain genre sucks, if you have any idea of a good artist that people might like, post it here with the appropriate genre. So if someone thinks some kind of music is crap, you can just direct him/her here. Different languages work too, it's interesting to find new music in your native or second language too. But don't abuse it.

Why am I doing this?
If you think this is a useless thread, it's your opinion, but I'm tired of the "[style] sucks", "[style] is always [stereotype/prejudice]"... I want to try making a music thread that will not contain those kinds of comments. So PLEASE don't post something like this, or I will click on that nifty Report button near your post. This topic is meant to prove that every style has good artists and good songs. Thanks.

Progressive Rock/Metal
Schism - Tool

Pop
Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
Be As - Prozzäk

Country
Plus Rien - Les Cowboys Fringants (French)

New Wave
Take On Me - a-ha
Are 'Friends' Electric? - Tubeway Army/Gary Numan
Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran

Breakcore
Szamar Madar - Venetian Snares
Einstein-rosen bridge - Venetian Snares
Lockjaw - Xanopticon

IDM/Ambient
Autumn Windows - The Flashbulb

Emo
The Taste Of Ink - The Used
I Woke Up In A Car - Something Corporate

Alternative
Huddle Formation - The Go! Team

Alternative Rock
Breaking The Habit - Linkin Park

Jazz/Bass
Tracks Of Time - Fracture & Survival

Trance
Finished Symphony - Hybrid

Punk Rock
Prayer Of The Refugee - Rise Against
The Kids Aren't Alright - The Offspring
Walking Disaster - Sum 41

Ska Punk
Dopeman - Less Than Jake

Christian Rock
Stars - Switchfoot
Bite My Tongue - Relient K
Frontline - Pillar

Pop Rock
Unwanted - Avril Lavigne

Don't hesitate to contribute anything you like. I'll add them to the first post so it can serve as a reference. If you could post a link, it would be appreciated. Use www.tinyurl.org if you don't want to post the YouTube video directly.
Note that some videos may not be available in some countries. A few of the videos I tested didn't work for me. In case it does the same thing with you, you should just search the song's name on YouTube and you should find it easily.

Last edited:

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
You know? As much as I hate the lyrics in a lot of rap, I have to level with you; those songs have a good beet.

Other than that I like every music genre.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Dude, I'm the most stubborn atheist I know and I disagree with that. WORD-FM here in Pittsburgh has a great "pop" show at night. Even Good Charlotte, which isn't a Christian band per se, has kind of a sonic aesthetic that resembles some Christian pop I have heard, and I like them.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer, Private
Epic genra (you'll know what i mean if you listen to the songs):

Another Holy War - Blind guardian
Mirror Mirror - Blind guardian
Fly - Blind guardian
Set the world on fire - Symphony X
Serpent's kiss - Symphony X

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
I can't get to youtube now (using iPod to type) but how hard is it to look up a song?
I normally listen to metal and hardcore stuff, but this song is the shiz

Techno (no lyrics)
Hybrid-Finished Symphony

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I can't get to youtube now (using iPod to type) but how hard is it to look up a song?
I normally listen to metal and hardcore stuff, but this song is the shiz

Techno (no lyrics)
Hybrid-Finished Symphony
A fellow Hybrid fan! How pleasant!

Well now I think I'll retrieve that link just for you!

Hybrid - Finished Symphony

Also, there are some good Christian Rock songs:

Switchfoot - Stars

Relient K - Bite My Tongue

Pillar - Frontline

And last one, one by Avril Lavigne that I'm fond of (not Christian)

Avril Lavigne - Unwanted

I'll post a bunch more tomorrow... it's late!

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Added all the videos on the first post (finally!).

If I made any error with the styles or links, please tell me.

Last edited:

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
@ Darksun: YES, YES, A THOUSAND TIMES YES!! I have been preaching for years - (Raccoon? Preachy?) that genres are genres, and that there is crap in all of them, and great stuff too. There are genres I mostly don't get (eg. many ethnic ones (like Chinese Opera) and most rap, but I admire them just the same. Rap has done more to popularise poetry than anything since Shakespeare - by making it fun and accessible and relevant and hip; and (more subtly) using lovely lovely rhythms and ways of rhyming that interplay with regional accents and vocabularies, that use those imperfect rhymes and internal rhymes and syncopated times to make the listener hear.

And what of classical? There seems to be a nearly universal misconception that if it's classical it must be "good." There must have been crap done at the time; we only think classical music is good because the crap disappeared and was forgotten, leaving the good stuff to soldier on.

I was overjoyed when I came across Christian metal: not because I necessarily liked any particular song or band, but because I could wave Stryper under peoples' noses and prove to them metal was not simply "devil-worship" music but a valid genre in its own right. (I brandished Buddhist metal too but it was met with deep suspicion.)

Sadly, neither boy-bands nor Hanna Montana Cyrus ring my bell.

Until I aged a bit and matured a bit (less) I loathed country music, or thought I did - it turned out I loathed the commercial over-produced disposable pap spewed over the airwaves between used car clearance ads. Turns out Johnny Cash and KD Lang and our local Corb Lund Band (and a bunch of others) do turn my crank.

so to mark the end of my recent absence, I'm back with a bang and a whole lotta words and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXzZTYjUl0

Last edited:

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
And what of classical? There seems to be a nearly universal misconception that if it's classical it is perforce good. There must have been crap done at the time; we only think classical music is good because the crap disappeared and was forgotten, leaving the good stuff to soldier on.
um, objection? there's lots and lots of terrible classical music. kulau is one among many examples of banal, empty fluff that has, for reasons unclear to me, been remembered and passed on for hundreds of years.

my piano teacher made me play that piece when i was a kid. god i hated it. >.<

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Yay - someone who can name crappy classical music! Kudos to Avery!! Personally I think Mahler is over-rated (and Ravel, except for Bolero.) Both strike me as the type who has a smash hit, and sells albums made of filler on the strength of that hit. Mahler manages to mix mind-numbing complexity with over-arching boredom.

On that note, as NIN, Johnny Cash & emo have been mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9dbmJ_2zU

And speaking of country & metal, here's some country-metal, or "Speed-grass"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xxh492o2aM

... and here's the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Vw402IaII

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.