Ethical Dilemma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Okay, so here's the deal...this guy I know sent me money part of it was to purchase a 'nick' in "paltalk" so he could enter the chatrooms (apparently paltalk doesn't like muslims). Anyway, I bought him the nick...that left $210. Now, my presumption was that this was money with which I was supposed to register his company here in Canada.

However, during a private (non-business) chat, I mentioned A/C 'n then said "oh, I forgot, you don't have a/c"....he got freaky 'n said I was thinking of someone else (I wasn't, I just forgot he didn't have a/c). To make a long story short he made accusations, I suggested he didn't trust me and that I should send the money back to him. He said "I don't give a f*** about the money, do whatever you want, I don't give a damn!"

So, there's my dilemma...do I send the money back? Or do I keep it?

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
You did purchase something for him, so he paid for that much, just send him the money you didn't spend.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I say keep it for now, he did send it to you.

Do you think you guys will make up anytime soon? If you do or don't... do you really think the money will make a difference?

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I'd return the money with a short, non-confrontational note explaining the nature of the misunderstanding and regret that things went the way they did because of it.

Kip

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I'd return the money with a short, non-confrontational note explaining the nature of the misunderstanding and regret that things went the way they did because of it.
I agree with that. Very well said, Trevor.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Personally, I would keep it...But ethically, do what Trevor said

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I would be all greedy, spend the money and block the guy if he mentioned it. :B

Dude84

Banned
Role
Adult Baby
I would email him explaining in a manner which doesn't partition blame on either party that you do not understand his current perspective, and how he came to him, and ask him for an explanation.

After that, unless he explicitly requests the money be returned, I would keep it. Perhaps donate it to a charity or something similar.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Well, he contacted me, after a week, and tried to act like nothing had happened!

Anyway, to make a long story short, I still have his money, and when he asked if I would use it for the business purposes intended, I agreed. So, I'm off this morning to the Registry of Joint Stock Companies for a name search and in 2 days time to register the company name in Canada.

*wonders why she's such a sap*

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Umm... lemme get this straight. You are helping someone from a foreign (middle-eastern I'm assuming) land, whom you know only over the internet, register a company in Canada? Doesn't that seem a bit suspicious? It only throws up about a million flags in my head.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
You should never assume things. :p

[sarcasm]Yes, Darkfinn, I'm setting up my own little terrorist cell here in the HRM. You heard it here first, folks![/sarcasm]

A friend wants to establish an online business whereby he can sell goods made in his country (with distribution points in other parts of the world). The country in question is Pakistan (which is a part of the Indian sub-continent, not the Middle East...more South Asia, I guess, than anything).

I've known him for 3 years, he has already applied for immigration to Canada (with no assistance from me).

What's with the red-flags thing, anyway??

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
You should never assume things. :p

What's with the red-flags thing, anyway??
I figured you had some kind of legitimate reason somewhere... just had to ask though. You made it seem as if you had only known the person online for a short time. Terrorism aside... sounded to me like it could be one of those international money transfer scams that I get 5-10 e-mails about every day.

But you's a big girl who can handle herself... so I trust you will do the right thing. I don't really understand how confusion over A/C could be detrimental to a 3-year friendship.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
In addition to what Darkfinn said, is this going to eventually get you in trouble, either with what ever Canada has for a Homeland Security program, and their equivalent to the SEC?

Customizer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Knowing what kind of products he will export and sell is important.

Everyone has a hustle. Whether it is a plain job, illegal knockoff goods from China, snake oil cosmetics and medicine, weapons, intelligence information, money scams, religious revivals or human trafficking.

An innocent-looking company is key to keeping it on the down-low.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Everyone has a hustle. Whether it is a plain job, illegal knockoff goods from China, snake oil cosmetics and medicine, weapons, intelligence information, money scams, religious revivals or human trafficking.

An innocent-looking company is key to keeping it on the down-low.
You sound like a rather knowledgable individual on this topic... hmmmm....

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I don't think everyone from the middle east is a insane terrorist hell bent on blowing up themselves and others. Really most of them are like us. Only poorer (most of the time) and different cultural backgrounds like whatever movies or music they listen to. I see clips on "Current" of them dancing to hip-hop music from here in America. Anyways its great to see people starting their own little shops and what not.

Small businesses are awesome.
----------------
Now playing: Rob Thomas - Little Wonders
via FoxyTunes

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well fire you are right about middle eastern people, but she said that he wasn't even from the middle east.

I just think we should drop the subject. Ayanna made the post asking about a money dilemma, not whether we think her friend is running a sketchy business or not.

Last edited:

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Ummm...just for the record...he's NOT my boyfriend! I don't have a 'boyfriend' as such, unless you wanna count 'daddy'...and he IS from the Middle East (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia).

My friend (and business partner (?)) is from Islamabad, Pakistan. I've known him for 3 years (or so). The business is going to be selling Islamic products (prayer mats, prayer caps, prayer beads, and so on.) and providing IT services. In the future he may decide to branch out into other products as well...time will tell.

Anyway...I spent $53 today (of his money), to do a 'name search' for the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.