Status
Not open for further replies.

Shen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I finished Brisingr a couple months ago about a week or two after release. I was just wondering if anyone else had read the Inheritance series.
Eragon
Eldest
Brisingr

I really like these books. I'm too tired to go into any details but perhaps you would like to share your thoughts on the subject, but please, leave that awful atrocity of a movie out of this.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Never read it...Never saw the movie...And that will probably be my only post in this thread :sad:

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
The movie was very meh. And the book seams like a easy LOTR type books but I only got to maybe the 4th chapter.

Shen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
The movie was awful.
and the books are nothing like LOTR lol

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
the movie sucked on a massive level.

The books on the other hand, are Freakin awesome. I love the storytelling style. On the other hand, though, They are very, very, very similar to the original star wars trilogy as far as storyline goes. So similar, in fact, That I accurately predicted most of the events in in the second and third books.

:warning_icon: Spoiler Alert! :warning_icon:

Think about it, at the set up, there is a brief chase followed by fight scene involving a hot chick, the hot chick sends something of value to defeat the empire to a random location in a panic and hopes for the best. Enter Young athletic Male. Said Male finds object of interest, discovers it's true nature, shortly has home and family (both include the Uncle!) destroyed by empire. Male goes on to epic journey with old Ex-Rider/Jedi to join an orginazation to defeat the empire. On the way, they pick up a companion, they get side tracked to discover the location of hot chick (who has been tortured to try and reveal the location of the Anti-Imperial orginization), feel morally obligated to rescue her, do so, and somewhere around here the old veteren dies. The party finishes quest to Anti Imperial orginization, mean while is tracked, Attacked, and barely escape. Orginization shelters Party for a bit, the discovers that party has lead the empires super force of death to their home base. A Frikkin' awesome battle ensues, in which the Young athletic male protagonist narrowly deals the fatal (and precise) blow to the empires force of death and is only able to do so because a duo came in at the last second from above and delays the enemy long enough.

Next, the Orginization leaves compromised base, and protagonist gets weird brain message to seek an ancient mentor. The Protagonist goes to seek the mentor trains for a while, meanwhile the orginization or other half of party gets itself into a world of Sh*t in which the Protagonist must postpone his training to to go and save them. Shortly following some flashy battle sequence, the Protagonist learns he has close family in the enemies top ranks. He freaks out, and loses something of value (a sword, arm, what's the difference?)

In the third installment, the orginization is plotting a huge offensive against the empire; and after doing a huge favor for an ally, the protagonist goes to finish his training, and The mentor dies shortly thereafter, Protagonist learns true identity of his father, and goes to aid the orginization just before the attack, Which is roughly where the story cuts off for Brisingr.

I will wager that In the final book, it will be Murtagh who ends up killing Galbatorix.

Seriously, just replace "Rider" with "Jedi", and you've practically got an interchangable story.

:blowup:

Last edited:

pixel

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I read the first chapter of the first book and immediately put it down... I find it incredibly generic and it borrows just too many elements from other books/stories such as Star Wars and LOTR for my liking >_>

Shen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
lol.
I like how you generalized the whole book from one chapter.
and there was nothing similar to LOTR and this book.
Star wars I'll admit definitely had similar twists and stuff but star wars didn't have nearly as much plot as Eragon >.>
Also. seriously... lotr? what is similar to lotr and the first chapter of eragon at all.

pixel

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Actually, a friend summarized the book for me before I read it and I've also seen the movie. I can't remember what the first chapter was exactly, but the whole thing with dragon egg seems too similar to Tolkein's ring and all. The background of the protagonist is 'mysterious', fitting with the basic fairy tale/fantasy formula. The whole thing with the riders having dragons and whatnot is way too similar to the nazgul in LOTR. I'm not going to bother, i just don't like fancy rip-offs XD

Shen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Actually, a friend summarized the book for me before I read it and I've also seen the movie. I can't remember what the first chapter was exactly, but the whole thing with dragon egg seems too similar to Tolkein's ring and all. The background of the protagonist is 'mysterious', fitting with the basic fairy tale/fantasy formula. The whole thing with the riders having dragons and whatnot is way too similar to the nazgul in LOTR. I'm not going to bother, i just don't like fancy rip-offs XD

really...?

lol
I dont see any connection to the dragon egg and the ring..
as for the dragons being a rip off of nazgul?
wtf?
like seriously wtf
They're dragons
they are a rip off of dragons
not nazgul
I bet you think that lotr is a good series as well.
lol
Three movies of walking
lol
The whole idea was simply boring and the characters themselves were incredibly static and boring and predictable as well.
You opinion is void since you are biased and haven't read the book either.
That's all.

pixel

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Well... ignoring how pretentious you're sounding, just would like to say that there's no point arguing about a book on the internet especially when one of the people arguing is a total fanboy =P I don't know how you can think LOTR is a bad series when Eragon practically borrows all of Tolkein's legendarium and is even inspired by it. Sure, it follows the generic fairy tale structure, but so does eragon. Here, some reading for you: Works inspired by J. R. R. Tolkien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Well... ignoring how pretentious you're sounding, just would like to say that there's no point arguing about a book on the internet especially when one of the people arguing is a total fanboy =P I don't know how you can think LOTR is a bad series when Eragon practically borrows all of Tolkein's legendarium and is even inspired by it. Sure, it follows the generic fairy tale structure, but so does eragon. Here, some reading for you: Works inspired by J. R. R. Tolkien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sigh.
I like how you call me a "total fanboy =P" as if that's a decent argument compared to "negligent biased criticizing comparator"

Don't try and find flaws in a book when you know nothing about it lol.
That's what children and teenagers do.
Any who I'm done.
I don't like arguing with biased people because for some reason they always come up with irrelevant arguments such as the dragons in eragon being a "rip off" of nazgul's. Lol I still can't believe you said that. At least you gave me a laugh. Thanks.

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Well I have to say that I like both LOTR and The Eragon books. I will not go into the later books as many have not read them, though I will say that the movie is about as close to the book as a child’s painting of a flower and the true rose that it should be.
As I had said I like them both, though I can see the idea that there is similarities in the LOTR only in that it is a fantasy based Epic. As anyone whom has taken basic literature knows there is only so much you can chance in the layout of an epic otherwise it will not be an epic.

Though in truth if you really must say that it is like another services I would say that only the idea of the elves was Tolkein, the rest of the book was for more like Anne McCaffrey’s Pern Series. This would give you a great understanding of the bond that Dragons and Riders hold.

It is not about however what the past stories are about, unless they are a continuation they are different by every means. You must think of every book as a different world for that is what it is. Though I am of the opinion that it is a waste of time to argue about what book if better. One must keep in mind that not everyone has been able to read other titles. You see someone that has only ever read once style of book or level will only have a set mindset about only those, when they many have never gone beyond. As apposed to others whom have read the classics; new and old, Science fiction, Theology, Fiction, and Non Fiction. This person will have a stronger foundation to base their thoughts, but they are equally as right in that it is their opinion as the one that has not broadened their knowledge, only they can take more from each idea.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Seriously, just replace "Rider" with "Jedi", and you've practically got an interchangable story.

QFT.

Though it definitely had a lot of Earthsea sprinkled in. (Magic system + dragons)

However just because it wasn't original didn't mean it wasn't good. I only read the first two so I don't know if the third one departs from the designated storyline.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Ah, the Eragon series ...

I'll concur with the comparison between Star Wars and Eragon. They really are quite similar. Now, to give Paolini a bit of credit, it's not like Lucas's plot was exactly original, either -- they're all just derivatives of an immensely simple story arc. Paolini breathed his own creative genius into it, and that's to be commendable.

The stories aren't so much what bugs me, though -- it's Christopher Paolini who does.

I've read interviews and seen interviews with him, and I always come away with the feeling of, "You self-centered arrogant prick."

That, and I don't think his editors have the balls enough to kick him in his literary chin when he needs it. I've read some of the most pretentious sentences ever created in Paolini's books ... not to mention that his third book is named something not even remotely memorable or pronounceable. What a complete cluster-fuck of idiocy it was to name that book Brisinginginrr or whatever it was. Seriously, how do you say that? Who cares to even try to pronounce it? An editor should have spanked his ass and said, "This name won't work as the title, because not everybody's an arrogant shit like yourself."

Names of books can make or break them to some readers. It did for me. I didn't mind the first two, and I have no interest in picking up Brgnginginsinszzzoinaoainr because I don't want to sit there and have this conversation:

"Hey, what are you reading?"
"iBringinoijaoinsoinfaser."
"What are you reading? I couldn't hear you."
"Bringingisingsinger."
"What?"
"Singinbringoinaoinoiner."
"... what the fuck?"

I show him the book. He tilts his head.

"Bringsinsoisnoisnoinginer?"
"Brioaoineinger."

Seriously, whoever marketed that bullshituous title needs to get their head out of their ass or resign immediately, because they fail.

Who in their right mind would name their book...

That constitutes someone getting hit in the fucking skull with the clawed end of a hammer.

Oh, and if you don't agree that he's pretentious?...

Sorry, nobody writes out in the wilderness anymore, and if they do, they deserve to get run over by a fucking tank for that artsy-fartsy dingly bullshit. There are two people who write in the wilderness: douchebags and dorkporkers, and Paolini's in there somewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.