Effects and Strength of Senna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Error404

So. Before I start this. I'm not looking for a lecture on laxative use, I'm well aware of possible side effects and I also know about laxative abuse. I don't plan on ANY of this.

What I DO want to know is:

How strong is Senna?

What are the results? (Softener or Bulker? - Please don't be detailed...)

Does it induce any cramps?

What can I expect? (Apart from the obvious)

No lectures please! Just info. I've done my homework on this, just want some first hand experience from those of you here whom have most likely used/tried it.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Error404, is Senna something only available in England? Just curious, because I've never heard of it here in the States unless it goes by another name. Over the years I've probably used just about every brand known over here, but never Senna.

~Pramrider

E

Error404

Senna is commonly used in laxatives like Senokot. Senna itself isn't a brand.

It's a natural herb, so I just got pure senna tablets instead of junky pills containing fuck tons of other crap. Goes just fine with my religion which is against using anything not natural.

It's a herbal supplement put simply, a bowel stimulant.

Available and used world wide, I believe.

Role
Other
So. Before I start this. I'm not looking for a lecture on laxative use, I'm well aware of possible side effects and I also know about laxative abuse. I don't plan on ANY of this.

What I DO want to know is:

How strong is Senna?

What are the results? (Softener or Bulker? - Please don't be detailed...)

Does it induce any cramps?

What can I expect? (Apart from the obvious)

No lectures please! Just info. I've done my homework on this, just want some first hand experience from those of you here whom have most likely used/tried it.
A quick google check:

Side effects of senna may include strong cramping and griping pains in the abdomen (due to muscle contractions. Senna can also cause electrolyte imbalance (loss of potassium) and loss of body fluids, nausea, rash, swelling of the fingertips, weight loss, and dark pigmentation in the colon, called melanosis coli with longer term use. Discontinue using senna immediately if you experience these side effects. Call your doctor if you experience bloody diarrhea or prolonged abdominal pain after using rhubarb.

Senna Fact Sheet

senna medical facts from Drugs.com

bdb2004

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
First off, this is not meant to be medical advice or anything, just some information I found on Senna, also it is widely used as an over the counter laxative in the US and is sold under the following brand names: Black-Draught Tablets [OTC]; Evac-U-Gen [OTC]; ex-lax® Maximum Strength [OTC]; ex-lax® [OTC]; Fletcher's® [OTC]; Little Tummys® Laxative [OTC]; Perdiem® Overnight Relief [OTC]; Senexon [OTC]; Senna-Gen® [OTC]; SenokotXTRA® [OTC]; Senokot® [OTC]

From what I have read Senna acts by inducing colon motility and altering the fluid and electrolyte balance in the colon due to a compound it contains (hydroxyanthracene glycosides) that is not fully absorbed in the small intestine. So if I were to group it with softener/bulker I would go with softener.

There have been reactions noted which include: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramps, so that would indicate that it definitely has the risk of inducing cramps.

As far as the strength, the references say that it usually produces a bowel movement within 6-12 hours after a dose, however that is for an individual taking the drug for the indicated reason, so it might be different with you, it may also discolor the urine or feces (yellow, brown, pink, red or violet) as a heads up.

And the generic warning, which is not meant to be a lecture but if you take any oral medications including: antiarrhythmics, digoxin, phenytoin, laxatives, lithium, theophylline, potassium-depleting diuretics they could have decreased absorption in the small intestine.

Reactions: Ace
E

Error404

Thanks for that guys. Any actual first hand experiences though? Would help.

The cramps are supposed to only come with extreme use, but I wanted to check if any other lighter normal cramps are to be expected. See, recently I've been having a little stomach trouble anyways from my diet, just happens to work rather well with my interest in diapers. These would be the first laxatives I've taken knowingly (I don't remember my childhood THAT well.) so I'm just taking it careful.

6-12 Hours? Quite some time. No wonder they are recommended before sleep.

Role
Incontinent
Error404,

I do use it daily, and have for the last almost 6 years now. The reason for that is because I have to take morphine to control my constant back pain, because of morphine's effects on the bowels, mainly constipation. I had a very bad case of it after my last back surgery when I had the lower 9 discs removed and the vertebra fused together with donor bone and reinforced with 2 12" rods and 14 long screws to anchor it to my spine. I was under so much medication because of the pain, that my bowels stopped working completely. I didn't have a bowel movement for 14 days, and then only finally had one after receiving 4 enemas to relieve it. Let me tell you, that hurt almost as bad as the back pain.

Prior to the surgery, I had been taking it regularly, about 8 pills a day on average. But while I was in the hospital, and afterwards, in the rehabilitation hospital, they didn't give it to me in nearly enough dosage to keep me regular, that's why I was in that condition. After the constant use of the senna, I had to increase the amount I was taking to 12 pills a day, and my doctor didn't like that too much, so he's given me another prescription drug called polyethylene glycol, to help with the constipation problem. My doctor wanted me to cut back the amount of senna I was using, and now I'm down to 6 pills a day.

Let me clarify this. I'm totally incontinent, but even so, I can still become constipated. I could sit on the john to try to go, however, due to my back problems, I cannot exert any pressure to try to have a bowel movement on my own, it's just way to painful. So unfortunately, I need to use the stool softener and laxative. It's kind of a catch 22 problem, if you know what I mean.

But now to answer your question as to the effects of using it. It does reduce your potassium for sure if you use it regularly, and I have to take prescription potassium because of it, and get regular tests to make sure that I'm maintaining the proper levels. If you don't keep an eye on that, it could cause you to have a heart attack, and a few other problems my doctor told me about that I can't recall right now. So it isn't something I would recommend you try on a regular basis.

As for how it feels, for me personally, I don't get any cramping or anything, but it does keep things more, um, fluid, if you know what I mean, making diaper changes a bit messy. Sorry for the graphic detail there, but I think it's something you should know before you decide to try this. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you really need it. For one thing, constant use can make you dependent on it after a while, and it's only recommended for use for maybe 2 weeks without the consult of a doctor, for the reasons I've already mentioned.

I hope that is useful to you, and again, I'm not trying to preach to you, but I do feel that you should know the consequences of using it. After all, you did ask.

E

Error404

Error404,

I do use it daily, and have for the last almost 6 years now. The reason for that is because I have to take morphine to control my constant back pain, because of morphine's effects on the bowels, mainly constipation. I had a very bad case of it after my last back surgery when I had the lower 9 discs removed and the vertebra fused together with donor bone and reinforced with 2 12" rods and 14 long screws to anchor it to my spine. I was under so much medication because of the pain, that my bowels stopped working completely. I didn't have a bowel movement for 14 days, and then only finally had one after receiving 4 enemas to relieve it. Let me tell you, that hurt almost as bad as the back pain.

Prior to the surgery, I had been taking it regularly, about 8 pills a day on average. But while I was in the hospital, and afterwards, in the rehabilitation hospital, they didn't give it to me in nearly enough dosage to keep me regular, that's why I was in that condition. After the constant use of the senna, I had to increase the amount I was taking to 12 pills a day, and my doctor didn't like that too much, so he's given me another prescription drug called polyethylene glycol, to help with the constipation problem. My doctor wanted me to cut back the amount of senna I was using, and now I'm down to 6 pills a day.

Let me clarify this. I'm totally incontinent, but even so, I can still become constipated. I could sit on the john to try to go, however, due to my back problems, I cannot exert any pressure to try to have a bowel movement on my own, it's just way to painful. So unfortunately, I need to use the stool softener and laxative. It's kind of a catch 22 problem, if you know what I mean.

But now to answer your question as to the effects of using it. It does reduce your potassium for sure if you use it regularly, and I have to take prescription potassium because of it, and get regular tests to make sure that I'm maintaining the proper levels. If you don't keep an eye on that, it could cause you to have a heart attack, and a few other problems my doctor told me about that I can't recall right now. So it isn't something I would recommend you try on a regular basis.

As for how it feels, for me personally, I don't get any cramping or anything, but it does keep things more, um, fluid, if you know what I mean, making diaper changes a bit messy. Sorry for the graphic detail there, but I think it's something you should know before you decide to try this. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you really need it. For one thing, constant use can make you dependent on it after a while, and it's only recommended for use for maybe 2 weeks without the consult of a doctor, for the reasons I've already mentioned.

I hope that is useful to you, and again, I'm not trying to preach to you, but I do feel that you should know the consequences of using it. After all, you did ask.
Thanks Ricky, this was the sort of post I was looking for!

I'll explain my situation a little better:

I wear about EIGHT times a year, if THAT, so I generally cram a massive deal of regression into a whole day to myself, going through 2-3 diapers on that day, so it's not like I'd be taking it every day or week (Possibly not even once a month.), I'm just really cautious with what I put into my system if I know it's going to have an 'adverse effect'.

I really struggle to get myself to let go because my body is over trained in most things, due to my own stubbornness as a child and that I'd become 'perfect'. Even to this day I struggle to feel hot and cold due to my own body having learned to tune it out, which can be quite bad sometimes. I'll burn myself without even realizing it until the pain kicks in.

But yeah, I plan on taking one or two senna pills at 7.5mg each the day before I'm going to use. Changes don't really bother me that much. Wet changes involve just a quick wipe up, whilst messy changes involve a nice long 30 minute shower.

The senna should get my body wanting to release enough that my body won't care that I'm not sat on the toilet and allow me to let go a little easier.

Thanks for the post, Ricky.

E

Error404

Well...Suffice to say. I've took two 7.5mg pills. I'll let you know just how effective they are some time tomorrow. Wish me luck. XD!

It'll do me well, considering my stomach has been off the past week or so anyways.

Role
Incontinent
Error,

I hope it works for you the way you want it to. Just that small amount shouldn't have any kind of lasting effects. I had thought that you were talking about using a large amount over a longer period of time, that's why I went into so much detail about it. What you took is basically just the recommended dosage if you were to use it for what it's intended for, so you're not doing anything harmful there. But as a word of caution, don't go beyond the recommended dosage and you'll be fine. It has enough of an effect that I doubt you will need to use more anyway, especially if you've never used it before.

And to clarify what I had said earlier, I began using it at the recommended dosage too, but as my tolerance for it built up, I needed to increase the dosage to keep the same effect. I did ask my doctor about it though just to be sure I wasn't doing any harm to myself. He told me that I was ok and to keep using what I needed to counter the effects of the morphine on my digestive system, because I would become hopelessly constipated otherwise.
He did recommend the use of another prescription laxative later though, when I got up to 12 senna a day. He did want me to cut down my usage at that point, and the new laxative has allowed me to do just that. I'm now back down to just 6 senna a day, and that's just fine with me. I hate the smell of those things anyway, I want to gag whenever I open the bottle each week to fill my pill box for the next week. I take so many different pills during a day that I have to set up a pill box for each day of the week, or I'd be spending 2 or 3 hours a day just opening bottles!

So good luck to you, and uh, "Happy Crapping?", LOL. Let me know if it works for you.

E

Error404

Took ages to kick in. More like 12-14 hours. Sorted out the problem though. I was just very tentative to use them, I'm always immensely careful with that sort of stuff.

Thanks for all the info, Ricky. I really do appreciate it.

maccracker18

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
9Im on it as a daily regiment due to some colonic issues that i wont go into detail over. I cant say for sure that by itself it makes you go, but i can tell you that in combination with colace it dose wonders for me. Also one that you may want to try is MiraLax (Polyethylene Glycol) it can cause some minor cramping issues but nothing thats worse than like a small gas pain. What it dose is it makes your body push more water into your digestive tract which makes your stool (if taken as directed) super soft and easyer to pass, however to the best of my knowledge its not natural. but what is nice is its not one that would make you loose control.
hope this helps !!!!

E

Error404

Thanks -insert generic name here-, but it's not that I heavily needed it. I was more looking into it. I'm quite against putting stuff into my own system without having ALOT of knowledge about it first. Senna happened to be one of those things that I was finding it difficult to get info on. All the sciencey info out there didn't give me any first hand experiences nor did it say what I could expect.

I'm not looking for something that will absolutely empty me, just wanted something that could get me back to myself. My diet for a week or so had mostly consisted of dishes involving cheese, beef and other hard to digest products. My system had taken a real beating.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Ricky and Error and for anyone else trying to clear out their system the miricale, non laxative completly sage alternative is......prunes! Thats right prunes! I too take opioid painkillers like ricky, so I know the hellish constipation it causes and have a lot of unwanted expeirance with battling it. Well I had to resort to a suppository laxative as an emergency attempt aftr of 5 days being stopped up!!!! After that horrid expeirance I decided I had to take some thing for this regularly to battle it. So I went on a pain board and they recommended senakot too, and some recommended prunes. So I decided to try to prunes first since they were all natural.

With in about 8 or 9 hours I had to go quit badly. It came out pretty easily too. I was amazed at how well they worked. So I take some about every other day and it just softens things up, but not too much, and gets it lubricated to come out easily. Sorry for the bit much detail but just staying on topic! lol So I would highly suggest for anyone with constipatiton or wanting to clean the system to just eat about 4 or 5 prunes (dried plums).

Role
Incontinent
Thanks for the suggestion Eclipse, although I will have to pass on that. I'd use them, if I could stomach them, but unfortunately, I can't. But I do take a prescription of Polyethylene Glycol and the senna, and if I can remember to take it on time, it works pretty good for me. My problem is that I don't have any control over when I have a bowel movement, and if I get backed up, or have a hard stool that's hard to pass, I can't "push" it out, it's just waaaaaay to painful to my back from the pressure. So the best I can do is keep it loose so it will pass without problems.

I can empathize with you on not having a movement in 5 days, I know only too well how that feels. I had an experience where I went 2 whole weeks, yes, 14 days without one, right after my last back surgery, {I've got a pic in the gallery of what my back looked like after that surgery}, and believe me, that SUCKS!!! I had to have 4 or 5 enemas to get things moving again, and I had to beg and argue and plead with the damned doctors to get that. I was already in the rehabilitation hospital by then, and I wasn't making any progress because of the extreme pain I was having. But unknown to me at the time was the fact that the pain was being caused by my bowels, not my back. I just could not stand up. Whenever I tried to bend at the waist, I would get these horrible pains. So I spent my first week in the rehab just laying in bed, and disappointing the therapists and doctors and my family. They all thought I was being difficult. Let me explain now.

When I first got there, I was still able to get up and walk around, because while I was in the hospital, they got me moving after the first 4 days, when I finally got out of intensive care. I still hadn't had a movement, but it didn't hurt so much at that point. Well, right after I got to the rehab hospital, I got out of bed during the night to go into the shower to try to give myself an enema with the shower hose as it was one that had a good 4 or 5 foot long hose on it, as I didn't have any luck getting the staff to give me one. I guess they all thought I was weird or crazy or something. But I was desperate to go, it hurt now. Well, while I was in the shower, I wanted to feel the full force of the shower spray, but the shower head was only at my chest height, so I sat down on the floor. Well afterwards, I couldn't get back up on my feet on my own, so I tried yelling for some help, but nobody heard me. I laid there on the shower floor for almost 3 hours before someone came into the room. Well, the guy that came in was just an orderly, and he tried to get me to my feet all by himself, and when he picked up on me, I felt the horrible like ripping down the length of my back, like stitches coming out. I let out a scream of pain, and told him to put me back down and get help, NOW!!!

So he got another guy, a nurse this time, and they got me into a wheel chair, not without a lot more pain and yelling, and then back into bed, again, more pain. Well, it was right there I stayed for the next 5 or 6 days because of the pain, all because the assholes wouldn't listen to me that I know my body better than anyone, I've only been living in it for the last {at that time} 48 years or so, so what do I know, right? I wanted an enema because they were not giving me my stool softener/laxative on time, and not in enough of a quantity to counter all the morphine I was on for the last week and a half.

So when I finally convinced them to do give me an enema, it took 4 or 5 times to get things "going" again, but right after that, I was able to get out of bed and go do my physical therapy and then get out of that place. But I never hated any doctors more than I hated those assholes at the rehab place. If I could have kicked their asses, I would have.

My wife and mom both were furious at them for not doing as I had asked as well, because it was obvious to everyone that that was all that was wrong. I wanted to sue the bastards, but my surgeon said that they were only being cautious, and didn't want to harm me, and risk a law suit for that. I didn't buy that for a minute, but figured that I couldn't fight it anyways, so now I just let everyone that asks just what I think of the place.

And after I got out of there, and my wife went back to work, when she would tell someone what happened, {she works in a pharmacy}, a lot of the times she would hear another story of how someone else was hurt or mistreated or ignored while in that place. So now I feel lucky that I had my family watching out for me while I was in there.

I'm sorry that I went a little off topic and hijacked your thread E404, I got a little carried away. I do that whenever I think about that place.

I'm glad you found out what you wanted to know about Senna, and that it worked for you. Just don't get too dependent on it. Occasional use is fine, that's why they make it after all.

Last edited:

maccracker18

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
Oh wow i totaly forgot to mention prunes lol. i usualy eat like 2 to 4 of them a day lol and thats about all i can handle. Its nice that the ones i have kinda taste like candy but they are murder on the other end :)

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
ricky I feel your pain bro, I too have been absued by doctors. I had a surgery for something I did not even have!!! So yeah to say the least I HATE doctors a lot, I have only met one doctor in my life that I actually like mostly. My current primary doctor is cool. But I hate my neuro surgeon (well he is okay but not that great, not nearly as bad as the last guy) and I really hate my pain management specialist, he is a selfish fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.