Easy fix for torn crotch snaps?

Barn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
Does anybody here have advice for re-attaching a torn off snap onto a onesie? One of the crotch snaps on my star party dress onesie tore off a while ago, and its been sitting unused since. Without all the snaps functioning the fit is lopsided and feels strange, but it's really cute and I'd really like to be able to wear it again.

Is the fabric torn or did the snap just let go?

Last edited:
The backing off one of the snaps broke off, the fabric doesn't seem to be *more than slightly torn.stardressripped.PNG

Last edited:
I don't know if you can fix it with that snap, but I know you can get a snap setter cheap and a bunch of snaps and put in a new one right where the old one was.

It takes both the new snap pieces and a special tool to 'set' them.

Plastic snaps generally don't hold up well to high stress areas. You may end up losing the other snaps to stress-related wear and having some on hand to replace them with will come in handy if you really love the onesie. :3

Yeah, you definitely need to replace that one. Like CuddleWoozle said, you need a tool for that, it's pretty easy to actually use - those snaps tend to be a "universal" size and shape so if you're lucky, you only need to replace the half that broke, if you're unlucky, you might have to somehow get the opposite part off too.

Quick note on plastic snaps: Make sure you're not pulling the fabric when opening them, instead get your forefingers on the outsides and your thumbs on the inside right next to the snap and press them apart gently, that way you can avoid damage to the fabric and snaps.

I'll have to get one of these tools then, it'll be a good investment for fixing any future broken snaps. Thanks to both of you for the advice! And yea, I always try to open snaps by pulling the snap itself apart and not the fabric. The ones on this onesie are insanely strong though, and I got impatient. Definitely learned my lesson.

Reactions: CuddleWoozle
Look up Kam Snaps. You can get them direct from the company or from several other third party distributors. The size 20 snap will work best with your application. It isn't quite as big but will be much better quality and won't let go like the one you have there did. It also looks like the fabric is showing some fatigue. I would recommend removing all the snaps and sewing in a piece of fabric to reinforce what's there then replacing the snaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleSplit
While metal snaps may not be desired (these also need a tool to set them) consider that and if stress is
something to consider think about adding one or more snaps.
If the snaps come in different sizes think of using less in larger sizing and more in smaller.
Thus if heavy duty wear is in play consider ways to buffer the strength of the fabric.

There is another option - taking out all the snaps and using (sewn in) Velcro strips -
probably not as flexible as the snaps but far easier to separate without fabric damage.

Back