e-steki karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Now we also have a karma thing, what is that?
And now i suddenly don't see it anymore.

Role
Diaper Lover
I never got positive rep even for posts that I thought deserved at least +1, but now I have credits, I don't really care I guess. But, now I have lots of credits, and people aren't happy about that either. :D

I think Karma is reputation Martin.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
The karma and rep were 2 different things.

Rissy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Oooh... we can see rep again now... Yay!!! (and mine yo-yo-ing like always)
I don't see why it's all that bad to put the credit thingie into this... I mean it's something to play with... something fun...

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
The e-steki karma system is something I'm beta-testing.

I was considering it as a possible replacement for the reputation system. The idea was that it was easier to see someone's karma history, and you could give someone karma via their profile without having to search for a post of theirs.

However, I'm increasingly thinking that we should just stick with the reputation system.

The rep system :
* is what people are used to
* can be used in promotions
* seems simpler

The main drawbacks of the reputation system are :
(1) you can't rate someone via their profile using it
(2) you can't see someone's rep history using it

#1 has a workaround... you can find their most recent post and rate that instead.
#2 I can solve by flipping a switch.

What do you guys think?

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
The e-steki karma system is something I'm beta-testing.

I was considering it as a possible replacement for the reputation system. The idea was that it was easier to see someone's karma history, and you could give someone karma via their profile without having to search for a post of theirs.

However, I'm increasingly thinking that we should just stick with the reputation system.

The rep system :
* is what people are used to
* can be used in promotions
* seems simpler

The main drawbacks of the reputation system are :
(1) you can't rate someone via their profile using it
(2) you can't see someone's rep history using it

#1 has a workaround... you can find their most recent post and rate that instead.
#2 I can solve by flipping a switch.

What do you guys think?
Probably the best thing about rep is the fact you get a useful private comment from someone with it.

And why should history be shown? It'd be cool to see what posts people got rep for, but stuff like the rep comment and the person who gave the rep should definitely stay hidden!

What exactly is karma? Can you only give it a user once?

I think both systems could work well together- rep is for posts, karma is summing up your opinion of someone (so given in profile).

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Probably the best thing about rep is the fact you get a useful private comment from someone with it.

And why should history be shown? It'd be cool to see what posts people got rep for, but stuff like the rep comment and the person who gave the rep should definitely stay hidden!
I might well let people see what others got rep for.
By default, enabling that would show the comment for each bit of rep, too.
Though, I guess with some modifications I could hide the comment.
I have no plans to out the names of the people giving rep. We had a poll on that awhile ago and IIRC the community fairly decisively decided that rep should stay anonymous.

Charlie F said:
What exactly is karma?
It is a rating that users can give each other, from -5 to +5.
When viewing a user's profile, there is a little box at the bottom that lets you see how everyone else has rated them.

Charlie F said:
Can you only give it a user once?
If you vote twice on the same person, then your first vote will be replaced with your second.

Charlie F said:
I think both systems could work well together- rep is for posts, karma is summing up your opinion of someone (so given in profile).
Maybe.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
the main thing about karma is that it's not based on specific posts, but on your overall opinion of a person. i can't decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

the other thing is that there are only 10 possible "ranks." that's good because it creates less divisions between people, but it's also not-so-good because it makes it harder to assign people to usergroups. you want to make sure someone's really trustworthy before they get access to the VIP gallery and forums. with karma, a single positive rating rockets you all the way to 5.

i think we should decide on credits, karma, or rep and just stick with one thing. i'll accept whatever moo decides on. i guess my personal vote would be for rep. it's not a perfect system, but i think it does a better job than karma or credits of sorting out the people who can be trusted from the people who can't. and i think keeping the site safe should be our number one priority.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
i think we should decide on credits, karma, or rep and just stick with one thing. i'll accept whatever moo decides on. i guess my personal vote would be for rep. it's not a perfect system, but i think it does a better job than karma or credits of sorting out the people who can be trusted from the people who can't. and i think keeping the site safe should be our number one priority.
I Agree with you. There has been alot of talk, of adding to many user rating mods. Although they are all in 'beta'/testing there was no prior discussen between the members and it was all added at once that only makes things more confusing.

I would stick to the Rep system, everyone is familar with it and we have workarounds to its dis-advantages. I think instead of spending time adding more rating systems you should implement the Rep system into Blogs and the Wiki if possible as it makes it more powerful and more member's work can be given credit/reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.