• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

dumb question: burning diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kitty0230

Does anyone know how well dry diapers burn? I was just wondering, also, would it be a good source of fuel if i were to soak one in kerosene? once again, a dumb random thought, but i want to know.

Kovy

is back, baby!
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
I would strongly vouch against it... it's horrible for the environment and is potentially very hazardous. Plus, why would you want to burn diapers in the first place? :p

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]Diapers have all sorts of plastics and chemicals in them so I wouldn't try burning them as it could new bad idea.[/font]

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur
Probably not a good idea. I'm fairly sure it'd give of a wonderful variety of toxic fumes, and even if it didn't hurt anyone directly, it'd still be awful for the environment. Just throw them in the bin!

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I don't want to think what it might do to the environment or to your health. Also, I believe at want point there was some research going into burning diapers because a scientist saw some burning rubbish and a diaper (well, bits of it) survived. So they probably don't even burn that well.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
It's the best way for getting everyone to hate you with its lovely smell

Role
Diaper Lover
If it was soaked in kerosene it would burn real nice. The kerosene would, hopefully taking the diaper with it.

K

kitty0230

Guys, I wouldn't actually do it because of the pollutants, i was just wondering if super absorbent burns.

Rational

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Hah! You wouldent find me burnng a diaper. You only find them on me :p.

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Disposable diapers will burn. The inner layer and the outer layer are plastic which melts into a sticky mess that is difficult to remove from skin until it cools. Under certain circumstances, you can see burning drops of melted plastic which are extremely painful on bare skin. The absorbent material is mostly wood pulp which has been processed for maximum fluff and absorbency. The polymer will also burn when dry. If the diaper was used, the fire must evaporate the water before consuming the diaper. Yes, the polymer will dry out and burn with a good enough fire.

Since diapers will burn, some may be concerned that they are wearing a flammable garment. Don't worry, they are less susceptible to igniting than cotton garments (normal underwear). A standard lighter flame must be held to the diaper for several seconds before ignition will occur. Once ignited, the thick absorbent pad will insulate the genitalia from harm long enough for a conscious and unimpaired person to extinguish the flame. Areas only covered by the plastic or woven cloth-like layer will end up with plastic melted to the skin with second degree burns likely. If this does happen, try to avoid spreading the melted plastic and cool it quickly such as dousing with water. Smothering will press the plastic harder into the skin and help it retain heat. Prevention is the best method to avoid injury.

The environmental impact is a valid question. The fumes are harmful and foul. Normal disposal into a proper trash receptacle should be the primary means of disposal. Only in rare circumstances would burning become a reasonable option. Only during primitive camping situations far removed from proper trash bins have I seen diapers burned instead of thrown away. Some parents consider a weeks worth of diapers too burdensome to carry out and will resort to burning. With a proper fire, the entire diaper will be consumed and no traces will be left.

PS: The sources of information used for this post are old and not important. In other words, don't ask me how I know.

Role
Other
I remember seeing a news story about a firefighter temporarily trapped in a burning house, he noticed something near him that was not burning. Out of curiosity he grabbed the object when he rescued and discovered it to be a dirty diaper. The gel is very fire resistant while wet. There have been some experiments with it, to be used as a temporary fire retardant against wild fires.

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Shouldn't this be in diaper talk??
Shouldn't the Mods be the one to determine that?

I think the superabsorbent gel (smaller beads) is now used in a system that will automatically spray down your house and property with fire retardant in the event of wildfire. It is ridiculously expensive, but cheaper than buying a new McMansion after the fire sweeps through your part of California.

jter42

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
Burning a diaper is like burning a witch...except they dont scream WHEN TORCHED...*couldv been a good joke...*

Status
Not open for further replies.