dual booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
well I decided to scrap OSX and I decided to dual boot ubuntu-mate and windows 10.

It works perfectly, and I can switch between the two via uefi, so now I've got the best of both worlds :p

I'm a gamer so I need both anyway :p

As a heads up, if certain (but not all) Windows Updates fail for no obvious reason, you may need to set the boot flag on the Windows system partition.

This seems to be a stupid bug in Windows. The boot flag should be set to whichever partition the bootloader is on, but fortunately GRUB doesn't care about it so it boots fine with the boot flag incorrectly set.

It took me ages to figure that out... :-/

I'm actually having problems with charging because of dual booting, sometimes it charges sometimes it doesn't. Luckily this happened when I wasn't really needing it for studies but I don't want this to happen again. There was nothing wrong with the hardware, got it checked, I'm aiming it's the software which is affecting this, now it's at 0% and won't boot cause no battery and won't charge. I'll keep it for around 3 hours or so to see if it charges but I don't think it'll work. Any one has any ideas?

miapeters said:
I'm actually having problems with charging because of dual booting, sometimes it charges sometimes it doesn't. Luckily this happened when I wasn't really needing it for studies but I don't want this to happen again. There was nothing wrong with the hardware, got it checked, I'm aiming it's the software which is affecting this, now it's at 0% and won't boot cause no battery and won't charge. I'll keep it for around 3 hours or so to see if it charges but I don't think it'll work. Any one has any ideas?

I don't think the software would be responsible for the battery not charging sometimes., seems like a coincidence, that being said is it possible the charger is faulty? The only thing I can think of is maybe the os isn't reporting the percentage correctly, I don't think it would effect the charging aspect with it, as obviously even at the bios level the device will still charge.

The OS shouldn't effect weather or not the hardware chargers as not, as that's mostly a hardware thing, the only issue with the software would be reporting, for example the software might not have a driver to report the correct percentage.

Could be buggy hardware, could be a faulty charger, might even be a faulty power outlet, I've witnessed my fair share of weird stuff happening with hardware.

The battery could be stuffed too, a lot of the time it's often hard to work out, eventually it gets to the point that it won't even hold a charge at all, and essentially isn't portable anymore.

Hmm yeah, I know it can't be software but it's just too random to be hardware..... I'll try a few things.... Thanks

miapeters said:

Strange. As above, it's very unlikely to be (i.e. won't be) software-related.

I'd try removing the battery for ten minutes, then plugging it in and trying to charge without turning the laptop on. Also, is the plug fused? Maybe a blown fuse?

If the charge on the battery drops below a certain level, the protection circuitry will refuse to charge the battery due to the risk of fire/explosion. So it could be that the battery has failed if it was left uncharged for a long time -- especially if it's quite old.

Or it could be the power adaptor (or a broken power socket in the laptop, where a connection has broken).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back