• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Doorstep Diaper Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
How many of you remember the cloth diaper services that used to operate in most urban areas? I say *remember* because I don't know if any still exist with the vast majority of households using disposables in the US. They were still around in Baltimore as late as the mid-1970s because a friend of mine worked for "Nu-Dy-Per" diaper service on a pickup/delivery route. I remember the trucks were mostly a salmon pink color and had some baby-ish graphics on the sides.

One funny experience (funny now, not too funny then) he had was with a truck with a bad latch on the rear door. He was bouncing down one of the main city thoroughfares with the truck loaded from pickups when the rear door flew open and a sack of dirty cloth diapers landed in the street. Of course, the sack had to come open and soiled diapers were laying all over the place. However, he had to go back and grab up all the nasty diapers because the sack was tagged with the customer's name, and they would be charged for the missing cloth diapers - how many you received and sent back was accounted for. By the time he told me about his experience he was able to laugh about it, but he didn't work for them much longer. A truckload of messy diapers didn't go too well with hot Summer days in the city.:eek:

~Pramrider

melancollie

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy,
i know there is this service, local to me, called Midnight munchies (or sometin like that) and they'll deliver anything you want to your door, i would love to call in some diapers. it's mostly a snack delivery for parties, or midnight hang outs

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Of course I do not remember them but I do know what your talking about. Except I thought those were gone by mid to late 60s.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Of course I do not remember them but I do know what your talking about. Except I thought those were gone by mid to late 60s.
Trying to do a memory check by associating other events with this one. It could have been very early '70s instead of mid-'70s. I remember he was still with one of the larger city bakeries in the 1968/69 time period when he got married, so whenever it was he worked for them, it was probably pretty close to the diaper service ending.

~Pramrider

ShyBaby

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
There was a place I used to drive past on the way to work called "Happy Nappy" that ran a cloth nappy/diaper service in my home town of Adelaide (Australia, that is.) That was back in the late 90's so I don't know if they're still running, but I suspect such services could on the rebound due to the perceived environmental benefits of reusing diapers (which are possibly not all that clear cut.)

I've got a feeling they might have done a service for adult diapers as well, but can't remember whether that was advertised or just wishful thinking :)

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
There's one around the corner from my mom's house over in Oregon. It's odd considering its a pretty small town on the coast. <_>

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I remember them as well as a kid growing up. It always turned me on as I was an extreme diaper lover even then. I suspect services like that still exist for the said reason of saving the environment. There's a whole group of advertisers on the web that sell cloth baby diapers with their philosophy being about saving the environment. Of course cloth is my weapon of choice because that's what I grew up with, even though I'm still very, very young *cough, cough, lies badly*

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
There are still cloth diaper services around here, mostly childrens diapers, but they do adult diapers too. You can use the diapers they have, or you can provide your own that you have purchased elsewere.
Whooo-Hooo a milestone, 100 posts

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
i know there is this service, local to me, called Midnight munchies (or sometin like that) and they'll deliver anything you want to your door, i would love to call in some diapers. it's mostly a snack delivery for parties, or midnight hang outs
I had the idea for a business like that one night at a party, and people told me it had already been done. Guess it was true...

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I had the idea for a business like that one night at a party, and people told me it had already been done. Guess it was true...
Kozmo.com was one of the most high-profile attempts at this and a big failure. People were loving that they could order even a Snickers bar or the like and get it delivered very cheaply, but the company's model had no way to charge enough for it to be profitable. One of those 90s start-ups that assumed profit wasn't important for the success of a company.

To the original post: seems we still have baby diaper services around here, just not the one that I remember seeing most often with their trucks driving around the neighborhood. As I understand it, they experienced something of a resurgence when environmentally concerned parents first turned back to cloth diapers.

wetatnight

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
I remember tham as well I think they existed in the Grand Rapids MI area untell the 1980's I think, but they were more expensive then buying disposables from the stores.
I don't think they are around any more unless there making a come back.

doubledbbw

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
We had a Diaper Service here in Fort Wayne until the mid 90s. I tried to contact them when I got out of the Army in late 1997 but they had already shut down operations and had gone out of business.:smile:

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
They do still exist here - mostly used by 'eco freaks' who believe that their child shouldn't be exposed to the harmful chemicals in disposables, that the environment shouldn't to mountains of disposables, and that 20 generations down the road shouldn't be exposed to their child's shit when they dig in the ground and accidentally poke into a former landfill.

'tis a shitty business though!

Peachy

Honeywell6180

Contributor
Role
Private
There is a diaper service around my area, and they serve some adults as well as infants. Their diapers are of far better quality than what you can find at a Target store or buy off of EBay. Far superior, in my opinion, to the highly coveted vintage 21 x 40 inch Curitys that sell for $200.00 per dozen or more at the auction site. Plus, they launder them so that they are not only whiter, but also so they have a very soft and slightly slippery feel that balances the skin PH while retaining absorbency. This is a big plus for delicate skin, and also enhances comfort considerably. They do a great service; I hope they never go out of business.

Honeywell6180

Status
Not open for further replies.