Donations to ADISC/Pay-Pal/Prepaid Gift Cards/Details Needed Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marka

Hi all!

A personal plight!

While noticing a significant deficit in this month's donations to ADISC; I have been trying to get a process sorted out to be able to make a donation myself.

While I have very little money...even I myself will spend $5-$10 USD, on much less important and not particularly necessary things...

I'd like to put some of that to better use here at ADISC...

I don't have a bank account...even if I did, I'm not a fan of PayPal, and I wouldn't want an association to a bank account with PayPal, or a connection to ADISC (yes, somewhat paranoid)...

I don't have a card yet, but I tested out "Donate" (then "Submit")... to see what options are available...

Prepaid Gift Card is an option...great!
Enter card number...fine!
Payment Type: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or Amex (American Express)...okay!
Expiration-Date, CSC... yadi-yada!
First-name/Last-name...no last name for me...so, a fake, or alias??
Address, City & State, and Zip code...no address or zip code for me...fake that too?
Phone...no!
Email...sure, the one I use for ADISC!
Choose a PayPal Password, confirm it, and agree to their terms...

I don't wish to create a PayPal account, but what does it request of me to do so?? More alias'?

Presumably, once I got all that established to my terms...then I could use it for future donations...

But, it frustrates me, that even with a Prepaid Gift Card...I can't just make an anonymous payment!

I'm not as concerned with having "Donor" amended to my profile...and I certainly don't begrudge anyone who is...I'm most concerned with making a monetary contribution...without all the hassle!

Can I simply email, or better yet PM Moo with all the card details, and let him process it?

I would appreciate anyone's experience with this...I'm not having anything shipped, I'm not placing an order...I just want to give some money...damn-it!

If this request should result in spurring some donations...that wouldn't be a bad thing at all... I would however, really like to solve this issue...I don't think I'm the only one who's been held back from stepping up...for something so seemingly engrossed in red-tape, BS

So the monthly goal amount appears to be USD $124...
If 25 of us made a USD $5 donation...that would cover the whole month...

As of this moment there are:
Members 28,591
Active Members 3,561
USD $0.03 a month per active member... it would cost more to process 3-cents, then what it's worth!

I think we would have many more donations by simplifying this process!

Any help in this matter...much appreciated!!

This message has not been solicited or sanctioned by Admin or Moderators, it is a personal request from Marka.

Thank you!
-Marka

Eulogy

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
While I think anonymous would be the best way to handle it, I'm pretty sure Moo doesn't care what your name is. He tried Bitcoin donations at one point, but no one donated, so it failed.

If anonymity is your end goal, just use a pre-paid card, registered using an alias and use paypal to process it using the same alias.

M

Marka

Thank you, Eulogy!

While I think anonymous would be the best way to handle it, I'm pretty sure Moo doesn't care what your name is.
And for the record, Moo already knows my name...that's not my particular issue, though I could see it as an obstacle for others... I trust Moo, and his rigorous protection and defense measures for ADISC, and it's members...as much as I can trust anonymous entities, and as an (mostly) anonymous entity myself...I respect that position...

On the surface, I don't wish to play 'dot-to-dot' across financial or other commercial entities particularly with such sensitive matters... In all likeliness, it probably doesn't matter...but, let's assume though for this situation that it does matter... real or imagined problems...still creates a real obstacle...

He tried Bitcoin donations at one point, but no one donated, so it failed.

Yes, BitCoin is a nice idea...but, from what I've heard so far...it's far from sorted out... perhaps one day, it will become practical...

If anonymity is your end goal, just use a pre-paid card, registered using an alias and use paypal to process it using the same alias.

I believe that this may be the answer for now... and at that, creating this discussion on the matter, may help others who just assumed that it would be too complicated, was unaffordable, or would be too risky for the safeguarding of their true identities or real-world selves...

Sometimes we just do need a hand-holding through a process...to get up and running on our own...

I don't find any Articles, or tutorials on this process...I'm hoping to take some of the fear of the unknown...by getting educated, and educating others...part of that is going to come from getting a sample of what the fears/concerns, issues, and experiences are, or have been so far...

I've expressed mine, and we have something of a solution for now...

Anyone else?
-Marka

Role
  1. Carer
Send Moo a nice card with cash inside for him, like your grandma does...if he wants to supply you with his address?

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
While noticing a significant deficit in this month's donations to ADISC; I have been trying to get a process sorted out to be able to make a donation myself.
Thanks! I appreciate the thought. :)

But, it frustrates me, that even with a Prepaid Gift Card...I can't just make an anonymous payment!
While I agree that it is annoying, consider it from the bank / payment processor's point of view.
They have to deal with fraud, and laws which require them to know their customers.
So, practically, they may not have any choice but to require your info to make a payment.
Sad, yes, but if they did not do this it would be much easier for criminals to get away with using stolen cards.

Can I simply email, or better yet PM Moo with all the card details, and let him process it?

No, sorry.
Email is not a secure means of sending anything, ever. For your own safety, never send CC info via email.
I can't simply charge your card myself like a merchant can, so I have no use for the info.
Even if I could, I prefer having all donations kept in a single place.

I'm pretty sure Moo doesn't care what your name is.
Correct. I have set up PayPal to ask for as little information as possible.
For example, I have set it to not ask for or provide me with donors' addresses - because I don't need them.
If there was a way to make it not ask for / show donor names, too, I'd use that. Sadly, PayPal does not support that option.
So, instead, I simply ignore that information.

Correct.

And for the record, Moo already knows my name...
Not as far as I know of.
Even if I did see it at some point, I'm very unlikely to remember it.
I generally completely ignore RL names in the ABDL community, to the point of forgetting they exist.
The only time I will even remember someone's RL name, let alone use it, is if they repeatedly ask me to.

On the surface, I don't wish to play 'dot-to-dot' across financial or other commercial entities particularly with such sensitive matters... In all likeliness, it probably doesn't matter...but, let's assume though for this situation that it does matter... real or imagined problems...still creates a real obstacle...
I too, used to worry about the privacy risks of trusting my bank / payment processor with information about sensitive things.
Then I realized that:
(a) If I did not trust them enough to use them, I'd have to pay all $1,000+ per year of ADISC's running costs out of my own pocket.
(b) I had no actual evidence that them knowing was harmful. I'd never heard of someone having problems because they made AB/DL/IC purchases or donations.
(c) I had good reasons to expect it wouldn't be an issue. Imagine if a bank hassled a customer because they bought adult diapers, for example. Then the customer points out that they're IC, need them for their disability, and this is harassment of the disabled. Can you imagine the bad PR they would get as a company? I'd imagine banks treat ABDL transactions, indeed all transactions, very professionally for this reason.

Sometimes, privacy concerns turn out to be based more on paranoia than evidence of a real risk.
I find a useful test to distinguish paranoid worries from practical ones is: "is there evidence of a specific risk here, and is my action worth it to mitigate this specific risk?"
If the answer to that question is "I can't identify a specific risk, I just feel uneasy", or "the risk is remote, but the action makes me *feel* safer even if I'm not actually safer", then it may be paranoia.

This doesn't necessarily mean paranoia (worries based on no evidence) is always bad, or even that the worries are always wrong.
Sometimes it is helpful to examine the evidence, and question why it is that the worry comes up in the first place. It may lead to insight.

Still, it is often helpful to assign less weight to paranoid worries than worries for which evidence is readily available.
E.g. there's a lot less evidence for the worry that my bank manager is going to abuse knowledge of my ADISC account, than there is evidence for the worry that lacking the ability to accept donations is going to hurt my bank balance.

I believe that this may be the answer for now... and at that, creating this discussion on the matter, may help others who just assumed that it would be too complicated, was unaffordable, or would be too risky for the safeguarding of their true identities or real-world selves...

If you'd like to donate to ADISC, but just can't get comfortable enough to, simply donate to a well-regarded charity instead.
Preferably something that helps out vulnerable people in need, like one which feeds the starving in Africa, rescues abused children, or provides shelter for refugees.

Karma will still thank you for your kindness. :)

Send Moo a nice card with cash inside for him, like your grandma does...if he wants to supply you with his address?

No thanks.
Sending cash in the mail isn't safe. It might be stolen en-route. You can't guarantee it will arrive.
With an electronic payment, you can be sure it actually got there, and I can be sure it was sent.
That's very helpful, as it prevents situations where someone thought they sent a donation, but I never got it.

babyboyuk

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Quick question, im using an app to read this while on break at work so cant see for myself until later, is the donation made in £ or $ and if in $ will I have to pay covertion %?

LittleAcorn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private

Not quite. I would have donated bitcoin, and still would, but I think I was the only person who expresses an interest, so Moo decided it wasn't worth it.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
Quick question, im using an app to read this while on break at work so cant see for myself until later, is the donation made in £ or $ and if in $ will I have to pay covertion %?

No, but it will be subtracted from the amount of the donation that comes through on my end.

M

Marka

I would like to thank Moo for reminding us of some alternate ways to contribute... though ADISC needs our support, and is a great cause; there are other great causes to support too!

If you'd like to donate to ADISC, but just can't get comfortable enough to, simply donate to a well-regarded charity instead.
Preferably something that helps out vulnerable people in need, like one which feeds the starving in Africa, rescues abused children, or provides shelter for refugees.

Karma will still thank you for your kindness. :)

Speaking of good Karma and kindness... I would also like to thank a particular individual (who may or may not wish to remain anonymous here) who notified me by PM...that they had make a donation to ADISC, on my behalf in response to my concerns with making donations...along with some very kind and thoughtful words too!

What a happy surprise that was! Thank you very much!

I would also like to take this opportunity of feel-good, and doing good, to ask each of you...(if you will please) take a moment to write a note of thanks in a PM or visitor message, send a friend request, etc... to anyone, and as many that you have been inspired by, or otherwise especially thankful of here... touch-base with those on your friends list...or whatever otherwise random act of good-will that you think of...to let others know that you care, and you're thinking of them...

I've since found that I have inadvertently neglected some of my friends, and they've been inactive for a long time...may have even left...

This would be something good to do too, especially when there doesn't seem to be any threads that interest you for a time... and, it will probably revitalize your interest... perhaps, giving you cause to start your own interesting thread...

Stop to smell the flowers...take a moment longer to notice the detail too!

Peace and many thanks to you all!
-Marka

Status
Not open for further replies.