• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Donating Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaius

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well I'm going to donate blood in a few hours. I've never done it before and am a bit freaked out. What do they do to get the blood? How long does it take? Should I eat before I go?

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
They're going to slit your wrist and just let you bleed out into a bucket.

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
They're going to slit your wrist and just let you bleed out into a bucket.
I thought they just lopped the arm off at the elbow!:D "It's ok, you'll only feel a slight stick" *slash*

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Look, it's not that bad. They will use a heavy gauge needle attached to a bag. They insert the needle into your arm at the joint. it takes about 10-15 minutes depending on your blood pressure. You don't need to eat before hand, but I recommend drinking plenty of water. Before they let you leave, you'll have to hang out for 10 minutes, and they give you juice and cookies to get your blood sugar back up.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
Look, it's not that bad. They will use a heavy gauge needle attached to a bag. They insert the needle into your arm at the joint. it takes about 10-15 minutes depending on your blood pressure. You don't need to eat before hand, but I recommend drinking plenty of water. Before they let you leave, you'll have to hang out for 10 minutes, and they give you juice and cookies to get your blood sugar back up.
Don't lie. :tongue:

I hate when people call it a needle.

Look, it's a tube, okay? It's a metal tube with a sharp edge.

Besides that...

If it's busy, you'll end up spending more time waiting than actually having blood taken.

I suggest you bring something to play music with, because it can get kind of boring.

I agree about drinking water. You should be hydrated before you do it. If you're afraid of doing it, don't eat anything. ;)

It's just like a shot. The most painful part is when they put it in, and that's not even that bad. Afterward, it's a breeze. :)

The after-reaction varies.

One friend of mine ended up having to lay down because he felt faint, and his entire face was white.

Another one said that his arm hurt for a little bit afterward.

Me? I was playing rather hard-core DDR-X roughly five hours after I gave blood. I felt fine the entire time. :)

~~~~

This is from a first-time perspective. I gave blood for the first time about two months ago.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
You're braver then I am. There is no way you can coax me into giving blood. Even though I'm 0- and they would LOVE to have it.

LittleMonster

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Holy shiz, you're slow. xD
I only take about five minutes or less once they stick the tube in me. Last time I was about 4:30. >.>

Anyway, matrixroks, giving blood is no big deal, and you're saving lives! The only part that stings is when they stick it in and when they pull it out, but it's not anything really painful. I definitely recommend drinking plenty of water and bringing a music player or a book, as Mes said. The waiting process is sometimes pretty long.

I'm proud of you for giving blood!
I'm kinda gung-ho about donating blood, haha.

Last edited:

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I stopped giving blood, they pissed me off by saying if your gay we don't want your blood.

LittleMonster

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I stopped giving blood, they pissed me off by saying if your gay we don't want your blood.
They're just worried about AIDS. They're not discriminating against homosexuals, just anyone who could potentially have HIV.
If you haven't had anal sex, you can still give blood.
But honestly, it is a valid worry.

Last edited:

Gaius

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well I'm back, me and my dad both gave blood. I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They even gave me COOKIES! And I feel like a regular philanthropist.

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
They're just worried about AIDS. They're not discriminating against homosexuals, just anyone who could potentially have HIV.
If you haven't had anal sex, you can still give blood.
But honestly, it is a valid worry.
It's not a valid worry really. Heterosexual contact far outweighs homosexual contact in terms of HIV cases. If the Red Cross employed that logic into it's questionnaire, then straight people should be a far larger concern for HIV than gay people. Also, oral, anal, and vaginal sex can transmit HIV, not just anal sex.

Just do what virtually every other low-risk person does, lie. I have numerous gay friends who are ticked off at the stupid regulations surrounding donating blood, and haven taken the steps to lower their risk of getting HIV and testing for it, just lie because they still want to make an impact. One homophobic, illogical remark isn't going to stop em.

mirrored

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Other
yeah, as a gay man, I can't give blood. Therefore they can...well, fuck themselves. :)

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
:bunny:I gave blood the first time just days after my 18th birthday, and donated every 6 months like clockwork. (Although I haven't donated in a long time) I have my 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 GALLON Pins from the American Red Cross.:bunny:

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
The best thing is having races with your friends to see who can fill the bag faster. We used to do that all the time when we had blood drives back when I lived in the dorms.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
Well I'm back, me and my dad both gave blood. I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They even gave me COOKIES! And I feel like a regular philanthropist.
That's great! Will you give again?

I'm going to start donating this year (my senior year) in high school, since we have a blood drive that comes a few times a year at my school. I'm excited! I think giving blood is something really important because so many people need it.

Role
Carer, Other
Giving blood is a great thing to do! Just make sure to give the blood to the hospital itself not the Red Cross, the Red Cross charges like a few hundred dollars per quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.