Does wearing a diaper dominate your life?

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Sometimes wearing a diaper dominates my life but not completely. I've always been IC so I don't know what it would feel like if I wasn't. Obviously, being IC means that I'm always diapered and I need to be changed every day. So in some way, changing dominates during certain times. But the rest of the time I'm just a regular person. I work, play the activities I like and I enjoy time with friends, family and my partner. I'm sure if you're new to being IC, everything you do dominates being diapered. I'm sure that eventually you'll get used to it.

Does wearing a diaper dominate your life? Why and how?

• Thinking
Reactions: forevertoddler, Neroforte, ILuvDiapers and 9 others
Not at all!

Have long been U-IC and although there is a time commitment that is required, it does not dominate as we are talking about a small part of any day. Especially when one looks closer as much of the associated activities are swept into other activities and it fall under the title of multitasking.

Far too many of this type of question is likely do to 'overthinking' that diapers are overwhelming ones life! A part of daily life, yes, but not overwhelming!

Reactions: forevertoddler, Constantlydamp, Neroforte and 6 others
Great question! Yes and no. Yes in the sense that I can’t go anywhere without planning to have spare diapers on hand. Also if I’m in public and wearing lighter athletic clothes I’m consciously aware of the possibility my diaper is peaking whenever I bend over. Yeah I can mitigate the risk with onesies and long shirts, but I get hot easily.

That said, wearing diapers doesn’t really stop me from doing anything I want to do, so in that sense no.

Reactions: forevertoddler, Neroforte, Diprs2 and 2 others
Not really. I wear a cheap daily diaper every day for "just in case". Many times it gets discarded unless I have an end of day urge when I am tired. So apart from the slight discomfort, I barely think of it. When IBS-d flares up, I'll likely remain home rather than risk it.

Reactions: Neroforte, Diprs2, Pino and 3 others
Heck no. Would it be much easier if I wasn’t diapered 24/7 and did not have IC? Yes, of course. Would it also be easier if there wasn’t diaper shaming? For sure. But, dominate my life? Not at all.

Reactions: Diprs2, Jorelaxed, Edgewater and 1 other person
greatlake5 said:
Sometimes wearing a diaper dominates my life but not completely. I've always been IC so I don't know what it would feel like if I wasn't. Obviously, being IC means that I'm always diapered and I need to be changed every day. So in some way, changing dominates during certain times. But the rest of the time I'm just a regular person. I work, play the activities I like and I enjoy time with friends, family and my partner. I'm sure if you're new to being IC, everything you do dominates being diapered. I'm sure that eventually you'll get used to it.

No iI don’t think it does.

Reactions: Neroforte, Diprs2, Jorelaxed and 1 other person
It is something I'm never getting out of, but not sure what is entirely meant by "Dominant." It's not like my diapers are gods of my life.

Reactions: Neroforte, PaddedRita, Diprs2 and 1 other person
I can confidently state that diapers do not dominate my day. They're simply "underwear" to me that need to be changed from time to time....the only concern I ever have is making as certain as possible that no one can easily tell what "kind of underwear" I'm wearing. Having all of my close personal friends, all of my family and countless medical professionals definitely makes it a hell of a lot easier to live with as I never have anything to hide, just the way I like it! I'm a very direct guy and HATE games, lies and people talking behind other people's backs so when I have to put my foot down and out an end to that sort of shit, I do do. Not bragging but I've been a leader my entire life. I don't have to be in charge of anyone but we all have to be working towards the same goal, if that makes any sense. I must have done something right in life as I honestly have far more "true friends" than anyone deserves in 5 lifetimes. There has to be at least 20 people I'd consider "true friends".

• Love
Reactions: forevertoddler, geka, Eclectic and 4 others
CptKirk said:
I can confidently state that diapers do not dominate my day. They're simply "underwear" to me that need to be changed from time to time....the only concern I ever have is making as certain as possible that no one can easily tell what "kind of underwear" I'm wearing. Having all of my close personal friends, all of my family and countless medical professionals definitely makes it a hell of a lot easier to live with as I never have anything to hide, just the way I like it! I'm a very direct guy and HATE games, lies and people talking behind other people's backs so when I have to put my foot down and out an end to that sort of shit, I do do. Not bragging but I've been a leader my entire life. I don't have to be in charge of anyone but we all have to be working towards the same goal, if that makes any sense. I must have done something right in life as I honestly have far more "true friends" than anyone deserves in 5 lifetimes. There has to be at least 20 people I'd consider "true friends".
Very well said, Captain Kirk is my favorite character!😍

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
richieboy said:
Very well said, Captain Kirk is my favorite character!😍
Thank you! It's my real name, just an FYI

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TygerKiddo, Diprs2, Edgewater and 1 other person
greatlake5 said:

"I think it is all about perspective. You can look as a curse of that drags you down really easy if you let it. But if you are incontinent then you need protection. No one in their right mind is going to walk around with piss or poop running down their leg. They or any one else would all do the same. So I try not to feel like I should be judged for wearing or feel shame for wearing a diaper. But their are some advantages to look at too. Like I was saying the other day most all of my friends are middle aged so listening to them gripe about getting up 3 or 4 times a night to go piss & it makes me think how awesome it is to sleep all night and even sleep in. I never wake up needing to pee and I always have wet diaper in the morning but I never wake up from the urge or pain. So I say the joke is on them.
Also with the extended wear diapers today I can even pound 6 or 7 beers with my friends and they keep making 15 trips to the bathroom but I am all good. I never have to get up in the middle of a movie. I never have to pull over for a rest stop when I am driving. I use to drive about 130,000 plus miles a year behind the wheel of a truck getting paid by each mile. So not stopping every time your bladder is full was money in the bank. So I really think it depends how you look at it. But if you don't get much of a choice if you incontinent so I try to look at it more like the glass is half full.
But it does get old to always have to diaper. I get out of the shower I got to dry and diaper immediately, if me and the wife have sex I need to straight cath first then I cant just lay with her when done and relax all spooning together naked. Nope I have to get up and put on my diaper. But I cant change the hand life dealt me I have to play the cards I have.

Worrying about things we cant control is the fastest way to stress and depression. The diaper dose not change who we are and I have been grateful to have a diaper on many times of my life. Like standing in line at a theme park. Mega Max I can be in that line 12 hours. LOL

• Love
Reactions: AttilaThePun, Diprs2, slimjiminy and 2 others
Nope not at all

Reactions: 247, Diprs2 and Edgewater
Strange question… Wearing diapers help me to live my life.

Reactions: Kellycares, Aspie69, 247 and 3 others
CptKirk said:
Thank you! It's my real name, just an FYI
YAY I see you are an audiophile, me too, love playing my guitars,and listening to others who can really play great!

Reactions: CptKirk, Diprs2 and Edgewater
Having been fully continent for around 60 years and now UIC since one year both life circumstances are very vivid for me - and now having to wear diapers for sure does not dominate my life at all. Being continent meant (daily routine, mostly without thinking about it) using the bathroom regularly, especially before leaving home, in a park, a restaurant, museum or wherever sometimes searching for one... don't get me wrong, this was not any burden, it was simply daily life, completely normal, without any deep thinking about it and that what everyone does.
Nowadays, wearing 24/7, it's not so totally different - change once in the morning, once over the day, once in the evening, minimum once using the toilet (for #2), otherwise simply having a spare diaper with me when out of house for a longer period - and on the other hand no desperate searching for a bathroom any more, no thinking about it for longer car drives or any other activities, never feeling uncomfortable for a full bladder, so what?!?
Only other thing is to keep an eye on the stock and reorder right in time, connected with a quick price research which diaper is in which store cheapest, and that procedure only around every 2 months. I truly cannot tell that all of this is dominating my life in any way!

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Ceary, Constantlydamp and 4 others
Being a DL the desire to wear can be quite strong and sometimes it dominates my life in some way. There are days where I rush home from work just to diaper up and spend the next 5 hours until bedtime just relaxing instead of during adult chores that I maybe should have done instead. In weekends the same thing can happen. For example on a saturday if I have no plans I can spend the whole day being diapered and relaxing but at the end of the day I feel guilty that I "wasted" the day not doing anything practical or social with friends. That can be very exhausting but I try my best to accept my desire to have these "diaper" days where I just shut off from the outside world. I try to tell myself that it is nothing different than the days I sit and play computer for a whole day but playing the computer doesn't leave me with the same guilt feeling. Its weird but I try to manage.
So if diapers dominate my life? Yes, it definitely does some days.

• Wow
Nappies are just something I need to remain mindful of in regards to when to change them, if I am having a day where I can get to the toilet to wee then I will but if not and a change is required then that will be a few minutes out of my day.
So my answer is simply a NO, they do not dominate my life but they are an integral part of my life and I must becawsre of them at all times.

Reactions: forevertoddler, 247, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Diapers don't dominate my life, but there have been times when "being different " was a constant concern. I am high functioning ASD. We didn't know about ASD when I was a boy. I was just "different." Born prematurely and always trying to catch up. Very verbal, mobile but clumsy, socially very awkward, with several illogical fears, including toilets.

The first time I remember feeling stressed by bring different was when my younger sister was potty trained and I was still in diapers. We were about two years apart in age and had always been bathed and often changed together. Now she felt proud of her "big girl panties" anf nrver missed an opportunity to tell anyone who would listen that the diaper bag Mom carried was for me, not her.

I felt stressed by being different in school. Gym class was especially terrifying. I always wore some kind of protective underwear, which was sometimes noticed.

As an adult, I became more comfortable with being different. I found work I enjoyed that didn't require a lot of social interaction. I lived a quiet and more or less happy life.

Going back to full-time diapers more than 20 years ago was a de-stressor, really. No more worry about accidents. So far I have always been aware enough to know when my diaper needs changing, although my older sister, with whom I share an apartment, likes to remind me.

They don't dominate my life though I have to wear them.

Reactions: Constantlydamp, Diprs2 and Edgewater
It is always a consideration. Where can I go? how long will it be? Can I change there. What will I wear? Cloth or disposable? How much to pack? It is always on my mind. I never had these considerations before incontinence.

Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
Back