Does turkey make you sleepy?

Does eating Turkey make you sleepy?

• No turkey does not make me sleepy but (insert food here) does make me sleepy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Other
  5. Private
Seeing as Thanksgiving is 2 days away I though I would ask about it. I know not everyone celebrates thanksgiving but you are still welcome to discuss about if eating turkey makes your sleepy or not. For me personally I have never once goten tired from eating turkey on thanksgiving or any other food from thanksgiving.

Also any special plans for Thanksgiving anyone? me and my moms are doing thanksgiving at our house our family is all coming over just a classic Thanksgiving get together

cweezy928

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Yes it does! but only on thanksgiving! I think its because of the dark meat.

AEsahaettr

Diapered Oracle
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
  4. Other
Turkey, just like anything else, will get me tired if I eat too much of it.

Being tired after turkey also has nothing to do with tryptophan. Tryptophan levels in turkey are similar to those in other kinds of meat.

Toddy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Other
  5. Private
Yes it does! but only on thanksgiving! I think its because of the dark meat.

Ah I see maybe thats why I dont get sleepy is cause I only eat white meat

Turkey, just like anything else, will get me tired if I eat too much of it.

Being tired after turkey also has nothing to do with tryptophan. Tryptophan levels in turkey are similar to those in other kinds of meat.

Hm I actually didnt know that I thought it was just because it is a high protein calorie food and the way it is cooked that made it tiresome

AEsahaettr

Diapered Oracle
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
  4. Other
There are various theories why turkey makes you sleepy. The one that's most likely the culprit is that eating five times as much food as you usually have in a single sitting does the trick. Blood will be redirected to the stomach from literally everywhere else to keep digestion going. And the hormonal changes after gorging on a ginormous meal will temporarily cause a slowdown of energetic molecules (sugars, ketones, etc) going to the brain.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Hm I actually didnt know that I thought it was just because it is a high protein calorie food and the way it is cooked that made it tiresome

Actually, proteins are less likely to make you tired than carbohydrates. Proteins take a long time to digest, so the energy consumed by digestion will be spread out over a period of time. The digestion of simple carbohydrates- for the purposes at hand, wheat products- is really fast, meaning your body's going to expend energy more quickly.

fifigal

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
I don't think it's as much the turkey, as it is the beer and wine I use to wash the bird down with. With my family, Thanksgiving has always been an all-day-long feast. It is expected that you should take several naps throughout the day, and when you awaken, you eat and drink some more.

Kein

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
Too productive to get sleepy from it most of the time. >.>;

Draugr

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Incontinent
Turkey doesn't make me do anything except get sick. I can't stand the taste.

Piefox

Padded & Proud.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
  5. Incontinent
It is because turkey has serotonin in it which if you eat enough turkey normally you will get that sensation of being sleepy

Altric

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Turkey does not make me sleepy. Overeating however does make me very sleepy. Always has, always will.

AEsahaettr

Diapered Oracle
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
  4. Other
Welcome to ADISC!

It is because turkey has serotonin in it which if you eat enough turkey normally you will get that sensation of being sleepy

Turkey doesn't contain serotonin- at least in the parts of the turkey you eat. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter and you'll only get a significant dose of it by consuming the turkey's brain. Even if it did, I can't imagine serotonin wouldn't be destroyed by stomach acid.

What turkey does contain is tryptophan, an amino acid used in the production of serotonin. So yes, consuming turkey will enable your body to produce serotonin. However, the connection between tryptophan and feeling tired is something of a myth. First off, turkey doesn't contain notably higher concentrations of tryptophan than other meats (beef, salmon, chicken, etc.). So while you could potentially link an intake of tryptophan to increased levels of serotonin, you're not going to find it happening more than if the person had consumed, say, steak. Secondly, just taking in a healthy dose of tryptophan alone won't actually trigger an increased expression of serotonin- it would merely make it possible. I don't know the exact pathways that lead to the expression of serotonin, but considering that serotonin production is usually initiated by emotional or physical activity, I have to imagine the pathways are extremely complicated.

Piefox

Padded & Proud.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
  5. Incontinent
Blah so I goofed and said the wrong thing OHHHH WEELLLLL

Byron

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Other
I've heard that somehow turkey acts as a sort of sedative, but I can't rightly say.
My eating habits are like that of a lion: Gorge and snore for a few hours. I'm sleepy whenever I've eaten something.

I don't think it's healthy, but that's how it ends up working more often than not. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.