Does Time really exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan09

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
According to my recently broken wristwatch? No.

RIP my watch 2009-2014

BinkyBoi

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Time itself does indeed exist. From the beginning to the end. Whether or not the outcomes and destiny of time is planned or not is a higher debate that we probably won't begin to comprehend. But...the measurement of time is a human construct we designed to gain control over the power of time. Seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, years, decades, centuries, millennia, eons, epochs. Those we all created to give us a sense of control over the entity of time. Even the word time is a human construct. But the concept of time is universal.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Time travel? Seriously? Look, at near-light speeds you can do nifty things with time dilation, and with the right lasers you can mess with local space, and with particle accelerators you can make strange particles come into existence via the Higgs field. But there is no reason to believe that you can go backwards in time. Maybe in the far future, when a more fundamental theory of physics comes around (as Einstein replaced Newton, who replaced Aristotle). Currently the only conceivable method to experience the past would be to simulate the universe again and hope you got the initial conditions just right.
This is an area for a lot of good debate.

In Einsteinium Physics the concept of forward only is true, and that is the argument for or against time machines because one could only go back to where it was made and going forward would have limited physical ability because of Newton's laws.

However there is another set of debates if cognitive ability is considered. Nostradamus quatrains is one example and up for a lot of argument. I have done some research to explain this but he took the "secret" to his grave. The last tidbit that I found is that Tesla did work in this area. I have not taken the time to do any looking into it yet.

All I can say is it is not a linear equation and one can get into a lot of logic falsity real quick. I have the first 5 dimensions figured out but it is the relationship of the other 6 dimensions that I am hung up on.

The theory that I am working on is the concept depicted in the movie "somewhere in time".

Star trek also played with this and parallel universe twice in the original series and several times in the next generation.

But there again there is a lot of concepts (whether plausible or not) used in "Dr. Who".

DLGrif

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Nostradamus quatrains ... first 5 dimensions ... the relationship of the other 6 dimensions
Those were the only parts of your response that seemed at all substantive. Unfortunately it's all bs. Nostradamus was famous for making a lot of predictions and prophecies, almost all of which were horribly vague. Floods and plagues, for example, are common occurrences if your scope is "somewhere in the world" and "in the future." Do not respond with examples of Nostradamus' predictions coming true; do a Google search yourself and examine the many sites debunking them.

As for the "11 dimensions," I assume you are really referring to "Imagining the Tenth Dimension," which I perfectly well understood when encountering it for the first time in 10th grade. It was a fun little presentation. It reminded me of Flatland, and What The #$*! Do We Know? All three are works of fiction. You're better off leaving this in the realm of "it's fun to imagine" and stop pretending like it's legitimate metaphysics.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little
no offence and somebody may have already said this

but isnt time relative. i mean dosnt it depend on what your doing for example.

if your having fun time seems to be super quick to you, but to everybody else its probaly the same. or if your doing something really boring, then it supposedly goes slower for you because of what your boring, but again isnt it still the same sped as everyone elses time ?

also isnt time something we humans invented so we have ways to mark things like appointments and such things.

if there were other being on this planet and not us would they have * time * or something else ? and would it be the same as our understanding of time or differant ?

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Those were the only parts of your response that seemed at all substantive. Unfortunately it's all bs. Nostradamus was famous for making a lot of predictions and prophecies, almost all of which were horribly vague. Floods and plagues, for example, are common occurrences if your scope is "somewhere in the world" and "in the future." Do not respond with examples of Nostradamus' predictions coming true; do a Google search yourself and examine the many sites debunking them.

As for the "11 dimensions," I assume you are really referring to "Imagining the Tenth Dimension," which I perfectly well understood when encountering it for the first time in 10th grade. It was a fun little presentation. It reminded me of Flatland, and What The #$*! Do We Know? All three are works of fiction. You're better off leaving this in the realm of "it's fun to imagine" and stop pretending like it's legitimate metaphysics.
In response, I understand your argument. It came up on the metaphysics thread of several mounts ago.

I do not defend or reject Nostradamus claims, It is the method that I am interested in.

The 10 dimensions string theory was debunked in the '80s and they have brought it back with eleven dimensions.

The thing is that Science fiction is the foundation of some real applications, i.e. Joule Vern "Nuclear power", Star trek hand held "communicator" and I know the DOD has a hypo-spray because I used it for research I did for them.

So the story maybe just that but the concepts are and can become reality. It is a matter of proving them, which is my point in the studies that I do on cognitive visions.

Drifter

Contributor
Role
Private
Time is so intimately related to change I have to wonder if the two are really the same thing. Asking if time exists is akin to asking if change exists. We measure time in units derived from cyclical change in things we observe such as pendulum swings, planet rotation, electro-magnetic waves, etc., so our concept of time is nothing more than the comparison of changes in one object to changes in another. "Change" is an ongoing phenomenon but is it something that can exist as a thing in itself? Maybe instead of looking at things in terms of space/time and matter/energy we could consider "change", aka "time", to be a property of space/matter/energy.

DLGrif

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Why are people so insistent that everything is cyclical? Not everything obeys a neat little cycle like oxygen -> respiration -> carbon dioxide -> photosynthesis -> oxygen. If you let the air out of a helium balloon, some of the atoms are hot enough to escape Earth's gravitational pull and are lost forever. Isn't it possible that time is acyclical?

M

Marka

Why are people so insistent that everything is cyclical? Not everything obeys a neat little cycle like oxygen -> respiration -> carbon dioxide -> photosynthesis -> oxygen. If you let the air out of a helium balloon, some of the atoms are hot enough to escape Earth's gravitational pull and are lost forever. Isn't it possible that time is acyclical?
FWIW... their are larger cycles that don't look so neat...

-Marka

sirscience

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
this is a beer conversation, but very interesting.

I would argue that time is completely man made.
or more that its just a way to quantify progression/decay/.

it is not time that passes
but your mind that perceives passing time

I would say that since we cant control time in any manner, its fake ...

scientifically speaking, aren't atom clocks just measuring atomic decay?

theoretically every thing will continue to move forward linearly for eternity/infinity , maybe.
if the existence of eternity is possible, than time indeed just doesn't exist. because eternity/infinity trumps time

- this has been already said, but i thought I would chime in--

A

acorn

Long answer short, No.

Don't have time to dwell any further on the question for "I'm late, I'm late for a very important date" so there.

Bigbabybret

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy, Little, Incontinent, Other
Well,

Time is not constant...and is but a made up measurement like money...

What's a dollar? It's what most people think its worth...give or take!
What's a second? It's what most people think it is...give or take!

As you approach the speed of light time slows down relative...

If you were to jump into a black hole...as you looked out at the universe you would see hundreds or even thousands of years pass from your point of view...before being extruded into nothing but energy...ending at the singularity...eventually being ejected at some point back onto the universe...

If you then see that person flow over the event horizon they would appear to disappear as the reflected light can no longer emit from thier physical person anymore...

So, time is just a yard stick, a widget, a snark, a name we have placed on something we want to be able to communicate with and about...

KuroCat

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
If you were to jump into a black hole...as you looked out at the universe you would see hundreds or even thousands of years pass from your point of view...before being extruded into nothing but energy...ending at the singularity...eventually being ejected at some point back onto the universe...

If you then see that person flow over the event horizon they would appear to disappear as the reflected light can no longer emit from thier physical person anymore...
That is not how a black hole works.

Let's say that the black hole doesn't kill you, and you drift inside (or as close to inside as you can get). Time, from your point of view, does not change one bit. You would not notice any shift or change in time at all, because from where you are, there is no shift or change.

However, if you are to witness someone fall in, then it will appear as the person is beginning to slow down as if time is slowing down around him. If you were to throw a clock into a black hole and have a clock of your own, setting them both at the exact same millisecond, the clock in the black hole would appear to be moving slower than the clock you hold in your hand.

As for the whole "being ejecting back into the universe" bit, a black hole has no exit, only an entrance. Anything that enters a black hole is reduced into nothing, as if it never existed in the first place. What you're thinking of is a "worm hole," which is more science fiction than reality.

Last edited:

AEsahaettr

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer, Other
As for the whole "being ejecting back into the universe" bit, a black hole has no exit, only an entrance. Anything that enters a black hole is reduced into nothing, as if it never existed in the first place. What you're thinking of is a "worm hole," which is more science fiction than reality.
Not entirely true. They give off radiation and can actually evaporate.

Meowstic

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
That is not how a black hole works.

Let's say that the black hole doesn't kill you, and you drift inside (or as close to inside as you can get). Time, from your point of view, does not change one bit. You would not notice any shift or change in time at all, because from where you are, there is no shift or change.

However, if you are to witness someone fall in, then it will appear as the person is beginning to slow down as if time is slowing down around him. If you were to throw a clock into a black hole and have a clock of your own, setting them both at the exact same millisecond, the clock in the black hole would appear to be moving slower than the clock you hold in your hand.

This isn't quite on-topic, but the clock going into the black hole would seem stretched.

KuroCat

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
This isn't quite on-topic, but the clock going into the black hole would seem stretched.
Yeah. I was going with the idea if nothing was stretched or distorted other than time, but you're right.

UsagiOmutsu

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
The problem I have with the concept of time is the commonly accepted order of the Dimensions being the three spacial dimensions then time, which assumes that all dimensions after the 3 observable spacial dimensions are defined by those dimensions. In my opinion this is caused by the arrogance of humans and putting too much significance on intelligence. That in some way our decisions define our dimension and other dimensions are inherently the same but we made other choices which caused deviations and another dimension exists for each of these deviations. To me it makes more sense if all other dimensions precede Time and then the three spacial dimensions meaning that the existence of our universe and everything in it is defined by time which would mean that nothing can exist in any state at any given time other then the one state it is in at that time. So no time travel.

Scaramouche

Lover of Life, Singer of Songs
Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
Very off topic, but for another view on time, read or watch The Langoliers by Stephen King.

Status
Not open for further replies.