• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Does Powder Affect Absorbancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Hey all... I've been noticing this over the past few days... maybe I'm not the only one.

Have any of you found that using powder will affect the absorbing capability of the diaper? I've especially noted it with the Abri-forms. On the days that I use powder the first wetting seems to pool and trickle around in the diaper for several seconds before being absorbed. On days when I don't use powder it is soaked up right away. I think maybe the powder is clogging some of the micro-pores in the padding and preventing the top layer from wicking away moisture quickly.

Does this happen to anyone else, or am I just that special?

liloneinmymind

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
it does kinda feel like that, might depend on how we (you and i) apply our powder XD i <3 the smell so i use ALOT of powder ^.^ but otherwise, yeah it does feel like that doesn't it?

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I have only used powder a few times, I don't care for the smell of it, but I think you have a point with it clogging the little pours in the spun bond material inside of a diaper.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
You're probably right on that assumption. I mean you put on the powder to create a barrier between the moisture and your skin right? That powder isn't totally committed to your skin though, and can go and create that same barrier over the diaper.

Role
Diaper Lover
Do you powder yourself or do you powder your diaper? This might be important.

I'm not sure though, I stopped using powder years ago, as I seem to be immune to diaper rashes. :)

Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
Sounds like it could be the powder is clogging the 'pores' of the diaper. Try just rubbing the powder into your skin better, if you just like the feel and smell of it. It shouldn't be a problem, though; I've seen lots of moms put a LOT of powder right onto the diaper before putting it on a baby.

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
darkfinn, i noticed that a lot also, (but i have a habit of overdoing it with the powder sometimes)

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Powder dates back to the days of cloth diapers, and was really made for cloth. Other products such as Desiten and baby lotion have come along and probably are better for disposables. I personally use baby lotion. I love the smell, and even when I'm not wearing a diaper, like during the day and at work, I still can feel secretly babyish!

Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
Yeah, you should only rub the powder on your skin. Dumping it right onto the diaper doesn't really hurt anything with cloth, but it could be exactly like you say with the disposables. I think desitin, etc would probably be worse in a disposable, since it pretty much sticks to anything ... including the diaper, and would be the exact same problem he's already having.

Honeywell6180

Contributor
Role
Private
I've never had a problem with it, and it seems to work just fine for the moms who dust diapers with powder before applying them. If anything, it should be better for skin.

Honeywell6180

MetalHeadTiffany

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
The answer to your question is, powder is usually used to absorb leftover moisture to prevent rash after a diaper is changed, because if this leftover moisture is not removed, the urine starts to ferment into trace amounts of ammonia which irritates the wearers skin and also explains why a wet diaper smells so bad after awhile but the point is that powder will indeed affect the absorbancy if you apply the powder directly to the diaper because over time the powder starts to coagulate and clog the diaper's absorbant pores but will not not affect anything if applied to skin.

PFD

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I use powder just where the skin meets the plastic, to stop chaffing. It kind of makes sense that if used in quantity it would block the stay-dry lining some. I'll use lotion before powder everywhere else.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Rarely. Creams are actually much better if you have a rash or something like that.

Khaymen

Biker
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
This all makes sense, but I've never noticed a difference. This leaves me to conclude that I either do not use as much powder as you, or I do not pay as much attention to how the diaper absorbs.

raptor

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Don't get CVS brand baby powder stick with Johnson and Johnson :) smells better and doesn't clump as bad.. at least my own experience

Status
Not open for further replies.