Does Anyone "Own" Their Land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
Just been pondering over a statement made by a local indian tribe, but does anyone 'own' their land whether it be by monetary or government or what have you?
seas have swollowed up houses built on the cliffs of southern california, sinkholes taking up large chunks of land, etc.
after a few hundred years and a few 'great' wars, does anyone 'own' the land that they're on or are we all just renting for the time being?

Neonite

Tinyflower Bouquet // 🌂🌸🌼💮🌙
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Other
Apparently, there are two little pieces of desert in New Mexico somewhere that my dad owns, and my sister and I are inheriting. o.o;

But that's all the land we "own," really.

Lowie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Carer
My family owns a bunch of land around the world. Some have built businesses up on them, some just have vacationing houses.

All that my parents really own is this house and the half an acre of land it sits on.

X

xdeadx

Ha I wish. But on the second though, my grandpa on my moms side owns a lot of land up in Michigan. We aren't that close with him though.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Yes I own my own land just under an acre with a brick ranch on it, and I do own it.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I'd say that they do. Own it here means they have the right to do whatever they want to it, right? Well, that is indeed the case. In the grand scheme of things it might not be owned that long, the ownership might change or eventually the land itself might, but I would say that it can be owned. If it is being rented, as you say, then who does own it? There has to be someone it is rented from...

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Point well missed guys!

Title I hold for "my" little half acre in the swamp allows me certian leagal rights that vary from place to place. In some countrys your land comes to a tiny point at the center of the earth. In most your rights don't go very deep. Years ago my land was stolen from the Native Americans who respected it and had no concept it could be owned as property. They paid for that view with their lives. In a great many years when we are all dust the ocean will reclaim this land and wipe away the scars we've made on it. Of course billions of years later the sun will swell up and absorb the earth. The Milkey Way is on a collision course with Andromedia and there is a lot of guesses what the final distribution of our matter will be. One must rember every bit of one's self and everything else came out of some other destroyed star and might have had some interesting past. Unless that is too much for your mind, then it was all done in six days.

Nam

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Nope...I rent :p

But seriously though...do we really own anything? If our property is involved (or suspected to be involved) in a crime, it is no longer ours(it's evidence)...even if we aren't the accused. Computers are a good example. What if an item you own becomes outlawed and confiscated... sorry buddy, it's not yours anymore. The idea of owning something only goes as high as the body that governs you. I'm not saying I have a problem with this, but we don't really own anything if you think about it on such a level.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I would if you lousy Americans didn't push my ancestors away :sad:

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer, Private
I would if you lousy Americans didn't push my ancestors away :sad:
if you feal that you would own the land, then you don't share the native beliefs.

last time i heard (i'm sure the percentage has changed) only 1% of Americans own their house. the bank owns everybody elses house. my dad bought did something really cool that allowed him to be one of thoes 1%. he bought a plot of land in a small neiberhood and built a pritty big house on it. he did a lot of the work himself, and his friends/family helped him do almost everything else. he had to hier very few people. by doing this, he was able to aford the house 100%. and, sence the house was bigger than everyone elses, the neiborhood value went up and more really nice houses were made. the house is currently doubled in value.

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I'd say that they do. Own it here means they have the right to do whatever they want to it, right? Well, that is indeed the case. In the grand scheme of things it might not be owned that long, the ownership might change or eventually the land itself might, but I would say that it can be owned. If it is being rented, as you say, then who does own it? There has to be someone it is rented from...
Based on your logic , I could kill a man on my property just for him being there. You can't really do that, despite the three pages of protest. Do you then not own your land? Who knows?

The government can't arbitrarily take you're land that you've paid for. The Indians didn't pay for the land. :-( Didn't your history teachers tell you ANYTHING?

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
My mother owns an entire square foot somewhere in america.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
the concept of owning land is only a relatively recent concept and basically revolves around the sentiment of, "it's mine, get the fluck off or i'll kick your head in". when europeans went to the new world, they took the concept with them and exercised it on the people who were already there.

it's interesting, and probably confusing for those who have only ever known a world built upon this concept, that a fabricated idea is considered as fact. as with most of our modern world, a little look at the foundations will reveal more. taking britain as an example, while many people 'own' their land, that ownership is only worth the paper value of the deeds, unless they're capable of raising an army to resist the crown and it's agents; otherwise, they can turfed off 'their' land at any time by the aforementioned.
another clearer way of seeing the reality is to simply look at any playground and how the kids will claim 'ownership' of whatever based upon the ability of aggression.
nice to know that whatever you 'have' can be taken away at the click of a finger, a stroke of a pen or a punch of a fist, isn't it?

nutshellingly, you only own what you can keep others from taking.

as for me/us, we have the deeds to the plot of land on which our house stands.

bdb2004

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Shortish answer if my understanding is correct, in the US no one really has absolute ownership of their land since the government can always exercise eminent domain, additionally if you did have absolute ownership of the land the government couldn't technically compel you to pay property tax. I would think something like this would apply in the UK as well since there technically all the land is held by the crown, though I don't know a whole lot about UK law.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
additionally if you did have absolute ownership of the land the government couldn't technically compel you to pay property tax.
technically...........
and i'm now thinking about Danegeld ;).

I would think something like this would apply in the UK as well since there technically all the land is held by the crown.
indeed, and that self-assumed authority also stretches some way beneath the sea, thereby ensuring 'ownership' of anything found there.

"give it us or we'll kill you" seems to be the motto of many a governance.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I was not going to post here but when I got to thinking my family owns a lot of land and about to inherit a lot. My parents own about .9 acre land in a VERY high cost county for housing and land, with our house on it. Then my mom's mom has a couple acres on the lake front on top of a mountain, which my mom will inherit and I think she is going to keep it. Has a 70s style log cabin on it too. Finally that same woman (my grandmother) owns a hge property in the middle of no where, where my mom's mom's side of the family grew up. It is several acres! Like more than 20! I will inherit that from my mom if she still has it when she passes. Not sure what I would do with it, but that is several decades away, at least I hope its that far.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
The concept of land ownership is a purely capitalistic one. Land is a limited commodity with inherent value. Its only logical that it be bought and sold like anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.