Does anyone freak out when they hear "diaper" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryptic

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Hey, first post on here :)

I've been a diaper lover for a couple of years now and I cant help but kind of loose my composure whenever I head somthing about diapers. Like, I'll be having a conversation, and I'll hear hear somthing about a diaper in either another conversation or in my own and kind of freak out. There is no way that they would know about me being a DL but it's a little awkward to hear that in public.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Yea, its kinda weird to hear a word that connects to something in your life, especially that part of your life, be said in any sentence other than referring to AB/DL stuff.

Reactions: Kryptic
As a French speaker living in France, I have to say that since the French word for diaper is the same as for a layer of something I hear it quite often. Hearing the word is an attention trigger that makes me try to understand the people talking in order to determine whether or not they are talking about diapers. Most of the time they are just discussing about paint or cooking.

Reactions: Blekyss
Hakanloaim said:
As a French speaker living in France, I have to say that since the French word for diaper is the same as for a layer of something I hear it quite often. Hearing the word is an attention trigger that makes me try to understand the people talking in order to determine whether or not they are talking about diapers. Most of the time they are just discussing about paint or cooking.
Like the word "layers"?

I think the French word for diaper is 'couche,' but Hakanloaim would be a far better authority.

Do the French also use 'couche' as a verb, or only as a noun? And if it's not used as a verb, what is the French equivalent to 'diapering?'

Yeah, the little "hot behind the ears, 'How dare this person push my buttons? Does this person know,' touch of emotional pain that hits you physically," feeling?

It's a thing. Pro tip? It goes away when you realize you're safe. Somehow, our brains have equated that word with something truly unsafe, as if we're being chased by a hungry bear, or something. Return of fear is also a thing, but just try to recognize it for what it is, remind yourself that you're safe, and it'll leave you alone, too.

If you're in a return of fear period, euphemisms can help, as can learning painful words in a language no one around you knows.

Last edited:
It used to be like a bolt of lightning. Now, it's barely a tingle most of the time. I glad I don't flush pink at their mention but I kind of miss the excitement that the word alone used to create.

Reactions: AAO
sbmccue said:
I think the French word for diaper is 'couche,' but Hakanloaim would be a far better authority.

Do the French also use 'couche' as a verb, or only as a noun? And if it's not used as a verb, what is the French equivalent to 'diapering?'

Indeed, the word “couche” can be translated into “diaper”, “layer”, or even “bed” (dated and literrary).

There is a verb, “coucher” but it has nothing to do with diapers and layers. It generally means putting something or someone in horizontal position (to say that you go to bed, you can say “je vais me coucher”, which means “I’ll put myself in horizontal position”). The verb is also used in the expression “coucher sur le papier”, which means writing on paper (the Word Reference website gives the translation “set down on paper”).

There is no verb for “diapering”. We say just “put a diaper on”.

It's just part of our vocabulary around the house. Nothing to get excited about. Especially all the things that go with them--diaper pail, diaper pins, diaper pants (that's what my little brother calls my plastic pants), disposable diapers, wet diapers, bedtime diapers, diaper change, etc.

Last edited:
Most of the time, I don't really care. But in certain situations, it affects me. Like talking to my therapist a few sessions ago, and her saying ''diapers'' over and over again, I felt really embarrassed. And watching ABU's announcement video, hearing the word also made me feel rather awkward.

chuck said:
It's just part of our vocabulary around the house. Nothing to get excited about. Especially all the things that go with them--diaper pail, diaper pins, diaper pants (that's what my little brother calls my plastic pants), disposable diapers, wet diapers, bedtime diapers, diaper change, etc.

I get that, but I meant in households where the ab/do in question was either hiding their ab/do tendencies, or just not allowed to do that kind of stuff. (I actually got in trouble when I was little for it)

I will admit any mention of the word "diaper" makes me immediately snap attention towards the conversation; though I try not to make it obvious. I don't really ever bring up diapers in conversation with anyone vanilla, but if I ever do I make it as nonchalant and non related to me in any way I can and never gravitate towards the subject inorganically.

I only get a little flustered by the word when my wife says it or when it is said around her because I know she hates it.

I definitely get flustered when it comes up jokingly. I hope I don't turn too red.

It seems like every time one of my friends has a birthday, the Depends joke is made. I always feel uncomfortable.

Reactions: rocketman
Strange, it would appear I am in the minority or the exception to the rule, whenever I hear diaper off hand in a conversation it has zero impact on me 😅 I don't get blushy or flustered or anything 🙂

I guess for me the word is just another word, I've become desensitized to it courtesy of exploring/accepting this side of myself and being around partners who use/used the word freely, my partners have all been accepting of my AB side 😄 Whether I hear it in public or among friends or even when my Mommy says it, the word doesn't really trigger anything, it's just part of my normal everyday vocABulary 🙂

Last edited:
Hearing the word diaper in normal conversation does not have much meaning to me. If the conversation is directed to me, I continue the conversation normally. If I am overhearing a conversion where diaper is mentioned, I will try to listen more closely. This is the same as when a diaper commercial on TV comes on - I will try to listen/watch more closely if possible.

Now if I overheard the word nappy - my interest would really be heightened because I live in the USA and the word nappy is very uncommon.

Was in the bathroom the other day, a couple of coworkers came in, one asked the other if "he needed his diaper changed" don't think they know about me, maybe I'm naïve, but I think it was just a matter of jock teasing to be honest, that said did make my rennec ears perk a bit.

Last edited:
sbmccue said:

Voulez vous coucher moi ce soir?

Using couche as a verb, my rough translation would have to be "Would you like to diaper me tonight?"

rocketman said:
Voulez vous coucher moi ce soir?

Using couche as a verb, my rough translation would have to be "Would you like to diaper me tonight?"

No, this literally means “do you want to have sex with me tonight?”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back