Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetshisbed

Incontinent and Enuretic
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Nothing much is ever mentioned about the inevitable urine smell associated with incontinence. Despite practising good personal hygiene I know there are times when I smell. My wife admitted that she can usually smell it too but has just got used to it and it doesn't bother her. She works in a nursing home and deals with many incontinent residents and says most people that are incontinent smell sometimes and there is nothing you can do about it.

I've found that unless its my first pee of the day, it doesn't have any smell unless your're weariing fragrance scented diapers like pampers. Most new diapers mask the smell with the asorbing gel caps.Now cloth, that's another story., and that's where I'm experimenting.

No, not really. I am more aware of urine odor sometimes, but not overly concerned. Most times, it's because I'm using a cheapie and someplace quiet like the library or class. That's usually when I get a whiff, right after I wet. Otherwise,I don't smell anything. Although, I'm not sure about others, they may smell me all the time. Well, I WASN'T conscientious about it... but now I am.

I'm not IC. but just started to use real diapers. It smells, bad =(
I wore out in public the first time and it was just bad I tried everything to prevent it from wafting out, and I sit real close to people. Not sure what to do besides keep bottles of fragrance spray with me at all times.
It was probably because I had the diaper on from the night through the morning, its so absorbent it has so much room, I don't want to waste it, these are expensive lol.
I didn't use till the morning today, and used more air freshener on myself, I didn't notice anything besides a little smell in the plastic pants, but It will likely start smelling later today.

I wake up smelling when I wet during the night. It is not too bad though. The rest of the time I usually smell fine.

Those of us who have a high exposure to the smell of urine become desensitized and will no longer detect low levels of odor. Others around you who are not desensitized will notice. I posted a thread linking to an article which names 10 foods to avoid that increase urine odor. As MickeyM noted, sitting is about the worst activity as it causes an air to be expelled.

I haven't noticed myself much. The times when I do - as has been said - are when I've had a wet one on for a long time OR if it is fitting too loosely. I believe it's at least partially the air interacting with the urine that causes the bad odor...and so if you are feeling "drafts" of cold air seep through, you're more likely to have stink.
My wife is pretty sensitive to hygiene issues and she says something if I don't smell right. Typically that happens when I've been in a diaper a long time and it's starting to loosen up.

Guys, urine smell is not inevitable. The most important thing is to be well-hydrated. Too many people cut back on liquids - too much.

Also, avoid foods like asparagus that give urine a strong odor.

--John

In the morning I have urine odor. But usually after I change and then have a pee it doesn't smell at all. But if I make a pee in same diaper without changing then it begins to have a urine smell.

Fascinating said:
I wake up smelling when I wet during the night. It is not too bad though. The rest of the time I usually smell fine.

Ditto. As long as I am not dehydrated I can't really smell them. Fortunately, my wife's sense of smell is poor. That being said I change about every 3 to 4 hours during the day so I stay pretty clean despite my full diapers. Now a poopy diaper smell that's an entirely different story...

The answer is, as an older physically disabled incontinent adult in diapers 24/7, "I STINK OF PEE-PEE!!!!!".
I have been used to stinking of pee-pee for over 2 decades.
I try not to stay in a pee-pee soaked diaper for too long.

I know I often smellof pee but have stopped worrying about it now.

I use scented babypowder, that helps cut don on the smell. In the morning waiking up in a wet diaper, yes it do smell, however during the day only if the diaper has been on for a long time and is really wet I sometimes notice it smelling.

I've found that high sap diapers smell less, I assume that's due to the sap locking away the wetness and preventing evaporation? All pulp diapers like Absorbency Plus can send up quite an aeromatic cloud when sitting down. I've never tried cloth, but I assume that's jsut as bad as all pulp disposable?

I am concerned about this. I do not need other people knowing that I wet myself. So I change when I have to and have a bag in the car with spares and supplies. Just in case.

bambinod said:
I've found that high sap diapers smell less, I assume that's due to the sap locking away the wetness and preventing evaporation? All pulp diapers like Absorbency Plus can send up quite an aeromatic cloud when sitting down. I've never tried cloth, but I assume that's jsut as bad as all pulp disposable?

Yes, wet cloth diapers will begin to smell in less than 2 hours. That's why I now put on a Goodnite diaper at bedtime, with my cloth diaper on top of that and then plastic pants. Goodnites have a high SAP content and it greatly diminishes the smell factor, something my wife appreciates in the morning when we're getting up.

sherryt said:
Now cloth, that's another story., and that's where I'm experimenting.

Ok so I wear cloth diapers 24/7 I almost never have a urine smell. Now that probably does depend on what diaper you are using but you should not really have a smell.

As for the OP, There are a lot of things that contribute to the smell of urine. If you are dealing with a bad smell there are a few things to look into. First off is The diaper that you wear. There are some diapers that are terrible at odor control. Some of them will just smell no matter what you do. i.e. The old dry 24/7's

Second is your level of hydration. If you are not well hydrated your urine will be very concentrated and will smell. It is very important to stay hydrated whether or not you are diapered. If you are a coffee drinker then you can expect your first diaper of the day to smell a little.

Third is diet. What you eat greatly affects the smell of your urine. Certain vegetables make your pee smell really bad.

Proper hygiene does affect the smell as well. If you are wiping up with each change you should be good. Showering daily helps too.

Like I said earlier I have designed my own cloth diaper which is waterproof with out the use of plastic pants, I never have a smell and no one ever smells me either(yes I do ask them) I have found that different fabrics do cause different smells too. For instance I use hemp terry cloth in my diaper as an insert and there is NEVER even the slightest hint of a smell till I take off the diaper and even then it is so mild you don't notice. I also have some Zorb 2 inserts, I never notice a smell until I take off the diaper and then those ones seem to have a little bit more of a smell but still it is not noticeable to other people.

So if you are having smell issues I would look into trying a different diaper.

I wet almost every night. I don't smell of urine, and neither does my home. Urine only starts to smell when it starts to break down, so you just need to keep it from being exposed to air.

1. Change as soon as you know you are wet.

2. Immediately put a wet disposable into a ziplock bag (or a diaper genie bag) and get it out of the house.

3. Immediately wash a wet cloth diaper. If you can't wash immediately, rinse it as thoroughly as you can and put it in a sealed diaper pail with an odor-control product.

Only when I am out in public. So far it has not cause any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back