Do you think parents buy their disabled adult children AB nappies for a bit off fun?

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I mean developmentally disabled adult children who happen to like the pattens of AB nappies and for a bit of fun even though they are not AB themselves. I think this must happen.

Reactions: KittyninjaW

sbmccue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
If you think it must happen, then it probably does.

dpcare

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
someone probably does somewhere what difference dose it make? most ABDL Diapers are overpriced

Reactions: ParaRomeo and RetroGirl15

PamperedMarine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I am willing to bet that it is very rare if it does happen. My wife worked as an one on one aide for disabled children. Most of the diapers were very clearly what was provided by the insurances. I don't think they are worth the frivolous price in that situation.

Reactions: ParaRomeo

ParaRomeo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
It depends on the person or caregiver some know about them some don't(if their on YouTube usually few abdl's lurk around special needs videos which is creepy more so when it involves kids). I do know a few special needs parents that don't really know what's out there for options so its like when I moved from Med to Large I gave a friend that has special needs teen/adult all the Abena M4 i had left over they found them great bought them for special use but do to budget reasons mainly used what the state provided them.

As DPcare mentioned someone may but I don't think it's super common even though I hate comparing disabilities but mine isn't as bad as some and mine can be expensive so I can't imagine how expensive some can be and there are things insurance doesn't pay for or needs that aren't covered or you have issues perfect example yesterday totally out of meds I needed insurance & holidays been screwy I dropped $200 on meds normally covered because they messed up last month I broke 2 bolts on my wheelchair needed few other things so things come up. I don't think there are many if the diapers they currently use are working would go spend extra money out of the budget just for a print unless it was like a tactial or like some with asd have needs for different things like there are some that can't use a plastic backed because of the crinkle sound for them is deafening.

As I mentioned above I think it's rare often parents and caregivers have a budget like many adults do so say typical family of 4 if your getting diapers that work from the state unless there was a need I don't see many buying or spending money on unnecessary stuff also not all but many developed mentally delay don't realize the difference between them so it would probably be something more high functioning like a spinal cord or something that didn't involve mental capacity so like say a teen with a disability but mental all there then maybe that person wants something more like underwear but again I know a bunch and their budgets aren't always the biggest, special needs and disabilities aren't cheap.

TheMat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Looking at reviews of Crinklz on northshore it seems that this happens.

Mfluder

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I could imagine that. Parenting a special needs person is a LOT of work...if parents are finding a little bit of whimsy in the playful diaper prints to take some of the edge off the stress...sounds fine to me.

Last edited:

patrick1776

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
When super undies were first introducing adult sizing, they did a monkey themed adult cloth pull up and said that it was for special needs teens and adults that are developmentally younger than their age as well as adults that wanted to wear them for the fun print (aka ABDL).

I think it is very likely that some parents with adult special needs children might buy abdl products for the fun of it, but I would guess that they might be hesitant to buy directly from and abdl or other fetish sites. I imagine they will mostly only buy such products from 3rd party stores like northshore or amazon.

dpcare

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
super undies are one of the most expensive adult cloth diapers out there at about $70.00+ and that is plus shipping as well yes there may be some discounts and subscriptions available but too much for me to consider

CheshireCat

Neuromuscular Disability
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I have known many families with special needs kids. Any aid they could get from the state, they used. The only area that I saw them spend personal money was for specific disability clothing, so they could easily dress their child appropriately to take them out in public and minimize others ogling, while at the same time being convenient for the parents.

There is the fairy tale of being cared for, and there is the reality of carers handling a disabled family members and constantly fighting the system that has been put in place to help, but does everything in its power not to. I have never heard of anyone state that Medicaid, VA, or SSD have been helpful. It's a fight with some bureaucrat to get what you are legally allowed.

Reactions: RetroGirl15, TigerDL, ParaRomeo and 1 other person

ParaRomeo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
TheMat said:
Looking at reviews of Crinklz on northshore it seems that this happens.
I do question reviews if they are real or fantasy, it's like when the size 8 diapers came out it felt like a good majority of Amazon reviews weren't done by parents.

Though if they knew about them I do see some special needs using higher grades if cost effective but honestly the biggest complaint besides Abena no company really has a good transition product from 6/7/8-youth/Adult. Also going to what I mentioned above and there are few people here who wore as teens and it almost seems like they wore what was bought or provided for them some even if high functioning really didn't have an option in the matter. Also besides medical company's and supply places like Northshore and there are some B&M I just don't see parents being exposed or knowing about them where alot do still fall under abdl and it's not a term many know. Like I mentioned above when I gave a friend Abena M4's even though their kid was in diapers think was around 16yrs they didn't know about brands like Molicare or Abena which were sort of common or more available online and before I had mine covered though Molicare & Abena worked it wasn't in the budget especially while the state or govt was providing diapers, I do have a different view point now but even than I don't wear top of the line stuff daily like there are times a case of Rearz plain white can last 2-3 months. Also though absorbent I can say for me with my disability it's like I have dual if and have and times where the diaper wasn't close to 50% and had fecal ic which has happened few nights and does feel like wasting them or not using to full potential.

Reactions: CheshireCat

Babybear2006

Brandon p
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I've bought crinklez diapers for my 12 year old autistic son after he saw that I had some he loved the patterns.

Reactions: ABDLBoy

KaleidoscopeKitty

Est. Contributor
Very unlikely. In the UK most disabled people will be receiving nappies free from the NHS as a prescription so I doubt any parents are going to go out of their way to buy ABDL nappies when they get nappies for free, especially considering the cost of ABDL nappies compared to medical brands. Caring for a disabled child is expensive, most parents are not going to be looking to spend more on nappies than they need to by choosing ABDL brands - ABDLs may be willing to pay more for the designs but it’s unlikely a carer will when they can get nappies free of charge through the NHS. The features which make ABDL brands expensive such as 6000ml+ capacity are unlikely to be popular with parents who likely want to change their children regularly to ensure they don’t suffer with skin breakdown and get rashes or to become sore, many ABDL diapers are only cost effective if you’re going to wear them for extended periods. Furthermore, I doubt most parents are likely to stumble upon ABDL diapers as they’re not usually widely advertised or sold by incontinence supply shops and especially when the nappies are on prescription as there’s no need to be trying to research brands or retailers, you have the right product supplied to you monthly following assessment with the continence team.

Obviously all things are possible but I think this is very unlikely and not going to be at all common.

Reactions: CheshireCat and ParaRomeo

GermanDL

Friend to all Ukrainians
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
depends, think some might do, but others not.
Think it has a lot to do if the Patient wants them or not

Reactions: RetroGirl15

Babybear2006

Brandon p
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
[ previously quoted post removed ] ~KitsuneFox
I was that child who was considered disabled because of my autism and cleft palate, that caused me to be considered nonverbal. I wasn't potty trained during the day I was almost 6. I was 9 when I was put back in diapers day and night after having a note sent home from school and unplugging my bedwetting alarm at night and not getting up to go to the bathroom. I didn't get out of diapers again until I was 11 or 12 but was still wetting my bed until I was in high school. I had my cleft palate surgeries when I was 6 and 7 years old but was still in special education classes until I was in the 4 th grade and was put in resource classes in 5 grade until the 8th grade to help me catch up with everyone else even though I struggled in school.

Last edited by a moderator:

bidl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
As someone who grew up with a disabled sibling who needed diapers I would say its highly unlikely, but it probably has happened but wouldn't be a practical option for a parent

TheBob

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I am a parent of a special needs child.

My son is developed delayed and is autistic and has Marfan syndrome. He is now 25 and lives in a group home for the medically sensitive.

Taking care of an special needs child is hard work. He could not communicate with us until he was 6. Not to mention all the doctor appointments and IEP meetings at his school.

He wore toddler diapers until he was 7. By that time Medicaid started to supply diapers for him.

It took me 15 years to potty train him. What did the trick was a huge bribe of a $100 gift card to Toys-R-Us with the condition that he go potty in the toilet for a whole month and not in his new big boy underwear. It worked!

As for buying AB diapers and stuff for him, I would not have done such a thing.