Do you remember what it was like to use a pacifier as a toddler?

Elmo

I ❤️ Sesame Street
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I've wondered how using a pacifier feels to toddlers. Using a pacifier as an adult, it brings me comfort and soothes me, but I feel not to the extent it would a toddler. For a toddler, it's like their ultimate comfort object: they must have it at all times, it brings them immense comfort and security, and soothes them when in distress.

So, does anyone remember what it felt like to use a pacifier as a toddler? Does pacifier use still feel like that to you?

Last edited:

fleckothefennec

I am fennec hear me scree
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
No my memory doesn't go back that far 🦊🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ReluctantAdult

MudPuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I sucked my thumb until early 2nd grade and found it really comfortable - until peer pressure did its thing. I (mostly) don't suck my thumb any more, but do have a few pacifiers and really like them.

Reactions: ReluctantAdult and Elmo

BenNevis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I do have a vague recollection of how using my dummy felt as a toddler and it was incredibly comforting. Popping it into my mouth calmed and soothed me right down.

Using one now really helps me into little space and is comforting, but I'd agree it's not to the same extent as when I was a toddler. With one big exception: when I'm drifting off to sleep. Nursing on my dummy as I fall gently to sleep is exactly as I remember it, soothing and calming. Add a nappy, onesie and my snuggly dragon and I'm falling asleep just like I would have done. All the sensory cues are there. But the dummy in particular helps me, gently nursing on it makes me feel small and totally calm, relaxed and soothed (and funnily enough, sleepy).

Last edited:

CodyBaby

Preschooler
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
You have to remember why its such a comfort thing for babies and toddlers, there's a secret why... Its... sexual stimulation to them, its not a joke here, everything entering their mouth produce the same feeling than when we jerk off, they are in deep of their oral phase, which is why a pacifier is important for them, otherwise most will use anything they find to stimulate their mouth, my cousin will be 3 at end of january and they just recently weened her out of her pacifiers, and she clearly isn't ready, she takes everything she can find and put it in her mouth, she doesn't cry for her pacifier, but I can clearly see she's not ready despite her parents clearly got rid of them, they don,t even want her to have a comfort item, altough she has some favorite dolls, they try real hard to break that habit, its funny because the dad still had his blanky till he was 9 yrs old, he couldn't sleep without it and was made fun at a camp, that's when he decided on his own to let it go.

ReluctantAdult

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
CodyBaby said:
You have to remember why its such a comfort thing for babies and toddlers, there's a secret why... Its... sexual stimulation to them, its not a joke here, everything entering their mouth produce the same feeling than when we jerk off, they are in deep of their oral phase, which is why a pacifier is important for them, otherwise most will use anything they find to stimulate their mouth, my cousin will be 3 at end of january and they just recently weened her out of her pacifiers, and she clearly isn't ready, she takes everything she can find and put it in her mouth, she doesn't cry for her pacifier, but I can clearly see she's not ready despite her parents clearly got rid of them, they don,t even want her to have a comfort item, altough she has some favorite dolls, they try real hard to break that habit, its funny because the dad still had his blanky till he was 9 yrs old, he couldn't sleep without it and was made fun at a camp, that's when he decided on his own to let it go.
I think modern psychology has mostly rejected Freud’s concept of sexual development stages that begins with oral fixation.

Squirmyboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
ReluctantAdult said:
I think modern psychology has mostly rejected Freud’s concept of sexual development stages that begins with oral fixation.
Not at all true. There are psychoanalytic Insitutes that still follow Freud's methods and teaching, plenty of journals, academics, and practitioners, especially in major cities like NYC, Paris, London and Buenos Aires. You can visit the excellent Freud museums and libraries in London and Vienna. Science is a process, and revision and argument is common. I'm a proud Freudian, and I think ABDL largely supports many of his developmental theories. I aldo have a pet theory that Freud himself was ABDL, which calls into question his insights, but perhaps explains a lot...

Reactions: CookieMonstah

CodyBaby

Preschooler
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
ReluctantAdult said:
Yes I know parts of Freud concepts were exagerated, but there's clearly a link with sexual development and oral fixation is one of them, its not only sexual actually, they learn a lot of precious information by tasting anything they can put in their mouth, its much more complex than we think it is, myself I'm unable to explain much of that.