Do you read books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdorbzLittleGirl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
If yes, what do you like to read? Is there anything you are currently reading at the moment? Tell us about the book you are reading, and what you like a bout it! If no, why not?

I like to read fantasy most of the time. Though, I'm not too picky when it comes to reading. It's mainly something that has to get my interest if anything. I'm currently trying to read Wings of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy by Tui T. Sutherland. I love this book because it actually has to do with dragons, and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE dragons. <3

AdorbzLittleGirl said:
If yes, what do you like to read? Is there anything you are currently reading at the moment? Tell us about the book you are reading, and what you like a bout it! If no, why not?

I like to read fantasy most of the time. Though, I'm not too picky when it comes to reading. It's mainly something that has to get my interest if anything. I'm currently trying to read Wings of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy by Tui T. Sutherland. I love this book because it actually has to do with dragons, and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE dragons. <3

Well duh! Of course I read books! As a writer, I NEED to read books! I've been into "coming-of-age" stories latetly. The last books I've read were:

"A List of Cages" by Robin Roe (so beautiful)
"I'll Give You The Sun" by Jandy Nelson (so intense!)
"Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda" by Becky Albertalli (because duh! LOVE, SIMON!)
"The Sidekicks" by Will Kostakis (man, it was so interesting)

I read all those in two weeks!

kik91 said:
Well duh! Of course I read books! As a writer, I NEED to read books! I've been into "coming-of-age" stories latetly. The last books I've read were:

"A List of Cages" by Robin Roe (so beautiful)
"I'll Give You The Sun" by Jandy Nelson (so intense!)
"Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda" by Becky Albertalli (because duh! LOVE, SIMON!)
"The Sidekicks" by Will Kostakis (man, it was so interesting)

I read all those in two weeks!

Yeah... I'm a writer myself, but I also have poor reading comprehension. Reading isn't easy for me, but it's something I've been trying to do. ><

AdorbzLittleGirl said:
Yeah... I'm a writer myself, but I also have poor reading comprehension. Reading isn't easy for me, but it's something I've been trying to do. ><

Go for it! Reading is magical! I know you'll find yourself in it!

Proactive instead of strictly passive. A really good way to keep your brain working instead of just flipping on the teevee and letting some jagoff advertising merchants telling you what they want you to enjoy.

Oh, and that's the theme of Brave New World and BNW, Revisited. Those are scary but real and the sci isn't quite fi.

I am getting lazy and have my Alexa read it to me! Especially in the morning ,I don't have to put on my glasses or hold anything ! Whats a robot for anyway?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I used to read lots of fantasy and sci fi novels (particularly with dragons) but just haven’t had any time for the last year or probably more. I have boxes of books waiting to be read (boxes of comics too) and am most keen on getting to Percy Jackson and checking which Sheri S Teppet novels I haven’t read (or need a reread.)

I constantly am reading a book. I just finished a Clive Cussler book, The Bootlegger, and I'm currently reading Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King.

I just finished "Call Me By Your Name". It was a beautifully written book. The ending made me cry, but my wife recently died and the book talked about seeing someone you deeply love in all the "old places". Normally I enjoy reading scary stories such as Steven King. I've also written and published a novel as well as a short story. I have several of my stories on this site as well.

dogboy said:
I just finished "Call Me By Your Name". It was a beautifully written book. The ending made me cry, but my wife recently died and the book talked about seeing someone you deeply love in all the "old places". Normally I enjoy reading scary stories such as Steven King. I've also written and published a novel as well as a short story. I have several of my stories on this site as well.

I really want to read the book. I loved the film!

In high school I used to get in trouble for reading so much during class. One of my degrees is in history which is essentially just a degree in reading alot. Unfortunately grad school really hurt my reading for enjoyment. When you have to read literally 10+ books a week it takes a bit of the fun out. They also teach you to read in a more efficient manner, essentially only skimming for important information. I did that so frequently in grad school it's hard for me not to read like that now. Of course this makes reading fiction very difficult. I unfortunately have not read a fiction book in a few years. I mostly read articles from academic journals now for fun.

Currently working on book three for Game of Throwns. The tv series did good, but the book is always better.

Ravensteel said:
I really want to read the book. I loved the film!

In high school I used to get in trouble for reading so much during class. One of my degrees is in history which is essentially just a degree in reading alot. Unfortunately grad school really hurt my reading for enjoyment. When you have to read literally 10+ books a week it takes a bit of the fun out. They also teach you to read in a more efficient manner, essentially only skimming for important information. I did that so frequently in grad school it's hard for me not to read like that now. Of course this makes reading fiction very difficult. I unfortunately have not read a fiction book in a few years. I mostly read articles from academic journals now for fun.

I know what you're saying. When I read "Call Me By Your Name" I not only had to slow down to understand the subtleties, but to absorb what was going on. I tend to really put myself into a story when I'm reading. The same is true when I'm writing. When I wrote my novel and "Werewolf" I was really into the story I was writing. I found it difficult to pull myself out, sort of like an actor with their character in a play or movie.

Does that make you a character writer? instead of character actor ?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I'm currently reading Angel's Prophecy by Kira Shay. My senpai did the cover art for this book, along with it's sequel. <3

Yes, I have taken up reading books, I haven't read a book since high school and even than I only read my required text books, as I never liked reading as I always had trouble with re-reading the same line over as I'd get lost on the page. ( vision problem ) However in the past 7 months I have read 26 books/novels and have found I rather enjoy reading.
I am currently reading a story called Track, master of D.E.A.T.H., I enjoy books by William W Johnstone and Louis L'amour.

I finally found the book I've been wanting to read! It's called Turtles All the Way Down by John Green. I lost it a while back, but it was found during some cleaning in the living room to rearrange things and all that!

I absolutely adore books! Most of my favourite ones are from a german author named Walter Moers (some of his books were translated into English, but I don't know if the translations are any good). All of his stories are very fantastical and quite absurd at times, but he has essentially built this whole universe within his books and the more of them you read, the more background information you get, but not in a "wow, now I totally understand why this character is so troubled since I know his tragic backstory" and more in a "wow, so this is that obscure species that was mentioned that one time in this other book" kinda way. He also goes on silly tangents all the way, and in one book he seriously has three pages full of only the word "Brummli" (which isn't an actual word, though it could be considered an onomatopoeia for the noise a bear makes)(don't ask) simply because he felt like taking a break from the story. It's pretty awesome.

Schwanensee said:
I absolutely adore books! Most of my favourite ones are from a german author named Walter Moers (some of his books were translated into English, but I don't know if the translations are any good).

You mentioned Walter Moers in another thread about books, and I gotta say I'm curious - would you say his books are especially difficult reads? In German, I mean. I'm looking for something to read that isn't too wildly difficult; I tried sitting down with "Der Herr der Ringe" by Tolkien and just couldn't get through it, even though I obviously have no trouble with the original English version.

jayjoy said:
You mentioned Walter Moers in another thread about books, and I gotta say I'm curious - would you say his books are especially difficult reads? In German, I mean. I'm looking for something to read that isn't too wildly difficult; I tried sitting down with "Der Herr der Ringe" by Tolkien and just couldn't get through it, even though I obviously have no trouble with the original English version.

His books are (mostly) written for teens and young adults, so the language isn't terribly complicated, but he likes to make up new words. In some books he explains them, but in others he just...doesn't. I would recommend either "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher" or "Der Schrecksenmeister", because there he often uses footnotes to explain stuff. His language is kinda flowery at times, but it's very fun to read!

If you wanna give the classics another try, the translation to Harry Potter is pretty easy to read in my opinion. "Herr der Ringe" has a bit of a weird translation, so I'm not too surprised you gave up on that (I did too).

Another idea would be to try reading comics in German, those don't have too much text at once (that's how I used to practice french).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back