Do you eat foods in a certain way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Keeping up with these food related threads, do you eat food in a certain way? Example: Always splitting Oreo's in half, and licking or something.

For me:
Bite Peanut M&M's in half, to try to just remove the shell from one half, and then trying to remove the peanut with my teeth

Oreo thing, except not licking the icing, just eating it, and then the cookies parts (I so wish they made just the icing)

Frozen Butterfingers: Biting off the chocolate, leaving just the orange stuff, then eating that. So yummy :3

Frozen Reese's: Not always, but I sometimes bite the chocolate from around the edge, leaving the center. Another thing: trying to just remove the center, because I saw it in a commercial once.

That's all I can remember.

Mitsukuni

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Sissy
Um... I eat my salad with my left hand, and everything else with my right.
I fail that hard.

S

secretdl26

I do the Oreo thing (split, lick off the center, and eat the cookies).

I usually fold my pizza in half lengthwise when I eat it.

I like to bite all of the chocolate around candies with a center and then eat the center and the remaining chocolate.

I'm sure I do other weird things, but that is all I can think of right now.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
I eat everything with a knife and fork. I mean EVERYTHING. Pizza, muffins, sandwhiches. Half the time I don't use a fork though. Just the knife. People don't realise that you can use just a knife for most meals instead of the usual knife AND fork

A

Asher

I eat the inside of the bread first, and then I eat the crust. Gotta love it : P

Role
  1. Private
Oreo thing, except not licking the icing, just eating it, and then the cookies parts (I so wish they made just the icing)

They do.

It's called refined sugar (likely mixed with corn syrup).

Like secretdl26, I too eat my pizza folded lengthwise - when I'm not using a knife and fork.

Americans think that I eat "strangely" with my knife and fork; they do a 2-pass approach that looks very clumsy to me. I jab the piece to eat with my fork (left hand), leaving the majority of the item to its right. I then cut off the appropriate bit with my knife (cutting to the right of the fork), and then the food is pre-speared on the fork and ready to go. Americans do a kind of jab, cut, retract, jab, eat thing; I just jab, cut, eat.

When eating sashimi I peel the fish off the rice, eat the rice, follow with ginger, eat the fish, then finish with ginger.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Americans think that I eat "strangely" with my knife and fork; they do a 2-pass approach that looks very clumsy to me. I jab the piece to eat with my fork (left hand), leaving the majority of the item to its right. I then cut off the appropriate bit with my knife (cutting to the right of the fork), and then the food is pre-speared on the fork and ready to go. Americans do a kind of jab, cut, retract, jab, eat thing; I just jab, cut, eat.

Interesting! I eat in your way too, and never really thought people would do otherwise...

I'm suddenly reminded of this video: How People Count Cash? - Video

Verscha

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
This thread was made for me. Okay, here goes:

We have these sweets over here called Fox's Glacier Fruits. Not sure if you guys in NA and elsewhere have 'em. They're delicious hard fruity things wrapped in paper. The wrappers give no indication as to their flavour, so what I do is hold them over a torch to find out what flavour they are by colour, then segregate the colours and eat them in a specific order: blacks and reds (and strange pinky ones that are almost red) first, and then the orange ones. As for the yellow and green ones-- my least favourite flavours-- I keep for times when I just really need sugar.

Role
  1. Private
That video is really, really interesting.

It's funny how something as "straightforward" as eating, counting money, and smoking (if you do that) vary across cultures. I've also been told how I hold a pencil/pen is "weird" by someone over here in the States.

I'd have expected us to eat in the same fashion with a knife-and-fork, CharlieF; we're fellow countrymen. I have to wonder, though, if this use extended to India and Canada with the Crown?

Oh, and when I eat soup or yogurt or spaghetti, I absolutely must eat with a small spoon. I really hate when I'm given a large spoon to eat with. Apparently my gradad was like that; when my mom asked me about it many years ago, I told her, "well, I've only a little mouth".

D

DominatingMommy

I do some odd things with my food too. I actually have food phobias, so if my foods touch I will freak out and someone will pay a heavy price.

I think one of the oddest things I do is with a Kit-Kat. I eat all the chocolate off the outside, then eat each layer one by one. Same thing with a Snickers...I eat the chocolate first, then the peanuts and caramel, then the other stuff.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I use my form in my right hand and knife in the left. Which isn't the right way to do things. But I tend to use my fork as a shovel at times for small loose foods, such as peas and rice. Where as I stab it with larger things such as beef. I try and cut things into mouthful pieces. Othertimes, I'm lazy I just put the whole thing on the fork and take severl bites out of it. Like with yorkshire puddings. Easy to pick up with a fork, but you can't fit it in your mouth all at once!

With spag bowl, I cut the whole thing in grids and use the shovle method.

DLGrif

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
I used to eat noodle soup with a spoon, but now that I have chopsticks, ALL soups are consumed this way (plus tilting to the mouth).

I don't bite potato chips. I press each one to my outstretched tongue and pull it in. I always notice when the chip happens to be too big to fit.

I hesitate before eating the pizza crust.

Sometimes I'll put pepperoni in my mouth and then add a cracker.

With hard candy, I try to find a way to break it apart quickly so that my saliva can break it down quicker (surface area ftw.)

If there's excess gravy or sauce on my plate, I MUST find a way to blend it with any remaining food, even if it makes my rice too strong or my mashed potatoes too mushy. Occasionally I'll spoon or finger the rest until it's clean.

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer

Interesting! I eat in your way too, and never really thought people would do otherwise...

That American anomaly in the use of fork and knives is well known over here for being one of those strange American habits. Some other reports say that people first cut their food as described above, then put the knife down, switch the fork back into the right hand and then transport the food into their mouth. Sounds awfully complicated for a task like that.

While we're on that topic, I do eat pizza with fork and knife. Got some interesting stares back in America when I tried to eat a slice of pizza with a plastic fork and a plastic knife (only thing they had at that strange pizza fast food place). To the local population, I must have looked like some alien, but I wasn't gonna touch my food with my hands as they were probably dirty from browsing around the mall, and the only bathroom was on the other side and the other floor of the mall. Speaking of pizza... I sometimes use my knife as some sort of forklift to lift a bigger piece of pizza into my mouth. :D

Other than that, I have no weird eating habits I'd be aware of.

Peachy

Role
  1. Private
I don't bite potato chips. I press each one to my outstretched tongue and pull it in. I always notice when the chip happens to be too big to fit.

Wow. It's been months since I've eaten potato chips (crisps), but I eat them like that too. I really enjoy Salt & Vinegar, and the dance they do on my tongue when I'm eating them this way make it that much better.

That American anomaly in the use of fork and knives is well known over here for being one of those strange American habits. Some other reports say that people first cut their food as described above, then put the knife down, switch the fork back into the right hand and then transport the food into their mouth. Sounds awfully complicated for a task like that.

That's what I thought. It's an inefficiency of motion, and I really have to wonder how on earth their habit got started. Is this a "new world" phenomenon, or do the Canadians eat with a knife and fork as you and I would? It's one of life's great mysteries, that.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Carer
I segregate my skittles into their own little racial groups. Then I enjoy sugary genocide of one color at a time. Makes me appreciate the fruity flavor more than mixing 6 different ones at once.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I remembered more

I can never have soggy bread. It makes me want to throw up. So for like pancakes, I have to dip it into syrup. For Hot Pockets, I stack them in a pyramid shape, so they don't stay on the plate and steam up and get damp.

AbsoluteBedlam

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Other
Oh, and when I eat soup or yogurt or spaghetti, I absolutely must eat with a small spoon. I really hate when I'm given a large spoon to eat with.

Same here.

I also tend to eat just the crust of a pop tart first and then fold the remaining middle section in half and eat it in one bite.

Also, if I have to take tums or similar antacids I make sure that I eat two that are of identical colors. Unfortunately this typically leaves one or two different colored strays lying on the bottom. In which case i simply close my eyes before chewing them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.