Do you carry your diapers in the open?

I have a few times, no one noticed I just grabbed a betterdry from my car and walked into Ikea then straight into the bathroom. I done the same thing while on vacation a fee times but most times I take my backpack in with me.

BabyTyrant said:
What does it really matter what some people think?

They cant ban Diapers and cant take your bag away in most places (though I have heard of places having a "No Bag" Policy due to theft)

I don't even care about the public perception anyways, most people arent focusing on you or whether you wear a diaper or not anymore, they really dont care anyways

Do what you're comfortable with

You're all assuming unchecked bags are allowed. If not, and a person needs the diaper, and not much else, why not bring it? They'd look in your bag, anyway, and see the same thing as if you just carried it in nonchalantly.

When it comes to big deals, "Don't make one, and there won't be one."

It's not about exposing the public to her private thing. It's about her medical need. Well, God forbid anyone be exposed to that! It might make them uncomfortable! Well, they'll grow up, or we'll get to watch their heads explode, one or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dinotopian2002, Blekyss and lilshelly
Yeah some places may check bags, but better to have 1 or 2 people see what you have in your bag rather than everyone seeing it because you dont carry a bag

It's about whatever people feel most comfortable with; usually I skip over bringing anything unnecessary, which means no extra diapers when I am gonna be out for 3 or 4 hours at the most (which ABDL Diapers can easily handle)

I usually carry changing supplies in a bag, but on a few occasions I have ended up just carrying my nappy and wipes. The first time was accidental and stressful, when I jumped at a long-awaited opportuinty to change and ended up standing in line for a family restroom with the nappy and wipes in a transparent Ziploc. More recently, there have been a few changes where it was simply more practical to leave the bag behind, so I have carried the nappy openly. As usual, nothing bad happened.

BabyTyrant said:
Yeah some places may check bags, but better to have 1 or 2 people see what you have in your bag rather than everyone seeing it because you dont carry a bag

It's about whatever people feel most comfortable with; usually I skip over bringing anything unnecessary, which means no extra diapers when I am gonna be out for 3 or 4 hours at the most (which ABDL Diapers can easily handle)
Yeah, for most people, sure. I understand not wanting to expose the public to your kink, but your medical need, due to a visible disability? If the public overreacts to that, they have personal issues.

So, it's not something they usually see. . . So, what? What they'd feel, if they noticed anything, would be vicarious embarrassment. It's the same reason doctors would rather drug us into horrible side effects, or carve us up like Thanksgiving turkeys, than suggest diapers. They think we must be, or should be, or are supposed to be, embarrassed. Why?

If we don't carry any embarrassment with us, and we only need the diaper, then, why not just carry it in hand, without making a spectacle of it, or waving it around, yelling, "I'm carrying a diaper! I wet the one I'm wearing! I'm gonna change, now!"?

Really? If it makes the public uncomfortable for someone to carry evidence of her disability around, then the public needs to grow up.

Do what makes you comfortable. Don't go out of your way to wag it in their faces, but don't go out of your way to shield them from the vicarious embarrassment they're sure you must have, either. You have nothing to be embarrassed for. Now, toileting, even if, for you, that means changing, is private. There's a big difference between inviting them to take part, and simply walking in with purpose, diaper in hand, and thinking, saying, and doing, nothing of it.

It's no different than an oxygen tank, a wheelchair, a tracheotomy, an ostomy bag, a cane or walker, a Service Dog, or any other medical equipment. Medical equipment someone needs, shouldn't embarrass anyone. Same is true, even if the diaper is printed. Lots of IC people buy the prints, because the plain white versions are out of stock, or because, if you're going to be IC, and normie adults can still have prints, then, you can, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dinotopian2002 and Blekyss
I'd for sure no doubt take all of my stuff with me to the bathroom in a public place. Even if it didn't have anything to do with diapers.

That's a really easy way to get robbed

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Yeah, for most people, sure. I understand not wanting to expose the public to your kink, but your medical need, due to a visible disability? If the public overreacts to that, they have personal issues.

So, it's not something they usually see. . . So, what? What they'd feel, if they noticed anything, would be vicarious embarrassment. It's the same reason doctors would rather drug us into horrible side effects, or carve us up like Thanksgiving turkeys, than suggest diapers. They think we must be, or should be, or are supposed to be, embarrassed. Why?

If we don't carry any embarrassment with us, and we only need the diaper, then, why not just carry it in hand, without making a spectacle of it, or waving it around, yelling, "I'm carrying a diaper! I wet the one I'm wearing! I'm gonna change, now!"?

Really? If it makes the public uncomfortable for someone to carry evidence of her disability around, then the public needs to grow up.

Do what makes you comfortable. Don't go out of your way to wag it in their faces, but don't go out of your way to shield them from the vicarious embarrassment they're sure you must have, either. You have nothing to be embarrassed for. Now, toileting, even if, for you, that means changing, is private. There's a big difference between inviting them to take part, and simply walking in with purpose, diaper in hand, and thinking, saying, and doing, nothing of it.

It's no different than an oxygen tank, a wheelchair, a tracheotomy, an ostomy bag, a cane or walker, a Service Dog, or any other medical equipment. Medical equipment someone needs, shouldn't embarrass anyone. Same is true, even if the diaper is printed. Lots of IC people buy the prints, because the plain white versions are out of stock, or because, if you're going to be IC, and normie adults can still have prints, then, you can, too.

Yeah, but there are disabilities that are less obvious, if not completely invisible

And we know how people can judge when it comes to people that are using things intended for those with Disabilities when the people think "this person isnt disabled at all"

I personally just wouldn't want to get any weird looks

Reactions: SpAzpieSweeTot and winterheart01
SpAzpieSweeTot said:

I ore sure am not going show everyone I am in need of such things, in stores where I live they consider it not respectfull of the other customers and yes, diapers are considered a private thing.
You're not going to see, for example anyone dangling out a fresh tampon either do you?

It is indeed prefered as others said to bring a bag and have it checked by security if needed. I did that at te supermarket and that was no issue.

People's disabilities are kept very private around here, a lot of people are ashamed of needing to wear diapers or other medical items.
Why do you think manufacturers create discrete pouches for insulin pumps? Not because people want to tell everyone "Hey I'm a diabetic".....

I understand wheelchairs are impossible to hide but I have seen others at the hospital, in wheelchair who entered the toilet and they carried their supplies in bags with them, to get changed before they saw the doctor.
Some (and I'm not exaggerating) even consider taking an adult diaper visibly out while going to the restroom a little attention demanding.

But it's not the same, you're comparing wheelchairs to diapers, each item falls in a different category. Glasses and hearing aids are much more accepted, same with walkers or wheelchairs, but diapers remain an item rarely spoken of.

I carry my fresh diaper in a plastic disposable shopping bag. It hides the diaper and its not so out of the ordinary to attract attention i.e. bringing a backpack into a grocery store.
I toss the used diaper in the shopping bag so I can discreetly dispose of the used diaper.

BabyTyrant said:
Yeah, but there are disabilities that are less obvious, if not completely invisible

And we know how people can judge when it comes to people that are using things intended for those with Disabilities when the people think "this person isnt disabled at all"

I personally just wouldn't want to get any weird looks
I wanted to mention that not every disability is visible, but I had to hop off to make my bed, and get my tires aired up. Thanks for mentioning it for me. Disability doesn't have to look like anything, people, but in Shelly's case, it does, as with mine.

Knowing me, if my disability were invisible,I'd say, "Not all disabilities are visible," and give just as dirty a look as I get.

winterheart01 said:
I ore sure am not going show everyone I am in need of such things, in stores where I live they consider it not respectfull of the other customers and yes, diapers are considered a private thing.
You're not going to see, for example anyone dangling out a fresh tampon either do you?

It is indeed prefered as others said to bring a bag and have it checked by security if needed. I did that at te supermarket and that was no issue.

People's disabilities are kept very private around here, a lot of people are ashamed of needing to wear diapers or other medical items.
Why do you think manufacturers create discrete pouches for insulin pumps? Not because people want to tell everyone "Hey I'm a diabetic".....

I understand wheelchairs are impossible to hide but I have seen others at the hospital, in wheelchair who entered the toilet and they carried their supplies in bags with them, to get changed before they saw the doctor.
Some (and I'm not exaggerating) even consider taking an adult diaper visibly out while going to the restroom a little attention demanding.

But it's not the same, you're comparing wheelchairs to diapers, each item falls in a different category. Glasses and hearing aids are much more accepted, same with walkers or wheelchairs, but diapers remain an item rarely spoken of.
1. I didn't say be a snobby jerk and dangle, and announce your diaper, and announce what you did in your last one, and what you're going to do now. Did I? No. I said the exact opposite.

2. Women carry a fresh tampon, when needed, openly, all the time, as long as it doesn't embarrass the person doing it. They aren't obnoxious about it, but, if the general public should happen to see it, it's incumbent upon the general public to chill the boink out! Here's a nice thing. If it embarrasses the individual woman, she can carry her period necessities in a bag.

3. You're the behavior interpretation deity? Just what the boink will you do, if the reason some people take a diaper out before going in, isn't to demand attention, but because it's damn difficult, if not impossible, to reach the diapers they need, from inside that tiny space, and they'd need more attention and help, if they didn't take it out, beforehand!? How about you judge? That'll help.

4. Diapers are nothing but medical equipment. The reason some medical equipment is more accepted than other medical equipment, is because people choose to let it be. They pander to the notion that it is, or should be, embarrassing. Diapers are tools. That's all. Changing them is private, because poop and pee are private, when possible, as is being naked.

5. Nope, diapers aren't private, when it's a medical need, unless IC people decide they are. It's up to them. Just like insulin pumps are private, to people embarrassed to be diabetic, and other medical equipment is, to those embarrassed to need it. What have they got to be embarrassed about?

If it embarrasses you, as an IC person, always carry a bag. If it doesn't embarrass you, as an IC person, you are certainly within your right to carry only a diaper, if that's all you need, and stop pandering to everyone else's embarrassment for you. The goal should be to go in and get changed, not to make everyone notice, or be loud and obnoxious.

The goal should not be to judge other disabled people, for daring to grab what they needed, while they had the space required to get it without help!

"How dare you! Grab what you need before you're so scrunched in, you can't grab it for yourself! Why, I've never, in all my days! There's no way I'm misinterpreting! That's attention demanding!"

Yeah, or, maybe you're judging other disabled people.

Last edited:
There’s no reason why nappies should be something to be ashamed of, compared to glasses, hearing aids, wheelchairs, walking aids etc... maybe in time, that will be the case. Needs a few celebrity standard-bearers for heavy incontinence, perhaps!

It’s a personal choice how discreet you want to be, as with any medical or hygiene product or item of clothing you need to use or change. Just don’t flaunt adult nappies for the thrill of it, particularly obvious AB/DL printed ones.

• Love
Reactions: Dinotopian2002 and SpAzpieSweeTot
ChocChip said:
There’s no reason why nappies should be something to be ashamed of, compared to glasses, hearing aids, wheelchairs, walking aids etc... maybe in time, that will be the case. Needs a few celebrity standard-bearers for heavy incontinence, perhaps!

It’s a personal choice how discreet you want to be, as with any medical or hygiene product or item of clothing you need to use or change. Just don’t flaunt adult nappies for the thrill of it, particularly obvious AB/DL printed ones.
Thank you. Also, let me make this abundantly clear. My argument was, "If an IC person must wear a printed version, because the white ones are out of stock, or chooses to, because said person deserves a print, just like non-IC people do, it makes said person no less IC.

At no point, did, "Who cares? Flaunt it, and rub it in their faces. Be as obnoxious as possible," come out of my mouth.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
1. I didn't say be a snobby jerk and dangle, and announce your diaper, and announce what you did in your last one, and what you're going to do now. Did I? No. I said the exact opposite.

2. Women carry a fresh tampon, when needed, openly, all the time, as long as it doesn't embarrass the person doing it. They aren't obnoxious about it, but, if the general public should happen to see it, it's incumbent upon the general public to chill the boink out! Here's a nice thing. If it embarrasses the individual woman, she can carry her period necessities in a bag.

3. You're the behavior interpretation deity? Just what the boink will you do, if the reason some people take a diaper out before going in, isn't to demand attention, but because it's damn difficult, if not impossible, to reach the diapers they need, from inside that tiny space, and they'd need more attention and help, if they didn't take it out, beforehand!? How about you judge? That'll help.

4. Diapers are nothing but medical equipment. The reason some medical equipment is more accepted than other medical equipment, is because people choose to let it be. They pander to the notion that it is, or should be, embarrassing. Diapers are tools. That's all. Changing them is private, because poop and pee are private, when possible, as is being naked.

5. Nope, diapers aren't private, when it's a medical need, unless IC people decide they are. It's up to them. Just like insulin pumps are private, to people embarrassed to be diabetic, and other medical equipment is, to those embarrassed to need it. What have they got to be embarrassed about?

If it embarrasses you, as an IC person, always carry a bag. If it doesn't embarrass you, as an IC person, you are certainly within your right to carry only a diaper, if that's all you need, and stop pandering to everyone else's embarrassment for you. The goal should be to go in and get changed, not to make everyone notice, or be loud and obnoxious.

The goal should not be to judge other disabled people, for daring to grab what they needed, while they had the space required to get it without help!

"How dare you! Grab what you need before you're so scrunched in, you can't grab it for yourself! Why, I've never, in all my days! There's no way I'm misinterpreting! That's attention demanding!"

Yeah, or, maybe you're judging other disabled people.

Ok; enough of this!
If your strategy is to attack people for pointing out the obvious then I'm done with you. You clearly ask for being the center of attention but you're not getting it from me.
A simple post ended up in a finger pointing and now argument, for what? for no reason..

I try to be as discreet as possible and usually use some type of bag to carry my diapers in but there are a couple of places in my area that dont allow anyone to bring in bags, two of which are movie theaters which i completely understand their reason behind it. The other place is both of my local Wal-Mart's dont allow bags other than purses to be brought in because they have issues with the five finger discount going down. While visiting these places if i need to change its going to happen and i have carried a diaper into both places for all to see if they cared to look. I was as discreet as i could be but when its 100 degrees out and you are wearing shorts and a tee shirt and cant take a bag there are not many options left other than just carry the diaper and go straight to the bathrooms to take care of buisiness and if that offends someone then they will be told to build a bridge, dig a tunnel, fly a helicopter or whatever it takes to GET OVER IT!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: SpAzpieSweeTot
winterheart01 said:
Ok; enough of this!
If your strategy is to attack people for pointing out the obvious then I'm done with you. You clearly ask for being the center of attention but you're not getting it from me.
A simple post ended up in a finger pointing and now argument, for what? for no reason..
I wasn't attacking you, nor anyone else. I was saying that it wasn't disrespectful to carry only what a person needs. What's the obvious? If the obvious is that some people are uncomfortable with diapers, then, yes. It's also obvious that medical equipment doesn't need to be embarrassing, and I made that point. I also made the point that, one way to help people get comfortable, was to get comfortable, ourselves. I'm sorry you felt attacked. Tell me why.

I understand that some people are uncomfortable with diapers. I'm not saying that everyone should carry openly. If it embarrasses you, individually, then don't. It's not that I don't understand that it embarrasses people. I do, but what's to be ashamed of? It's only medical equipment. I also pointed out that the intentions of the people who do take their diapers out beforehand, might have more to do with accommodating their own disabilities, or, it occurs to me now, maybe even fighting the, "You don't look disabled," judgement from people who can't see their right to a disabled stall, because people can see it's IC, even if someone doesn't look disabled, if the person is holding a diaper, than seeking attention, somehow. For the record, it was your automatic jump to, "Anyone who carries openly, is demanding attention, and there can't possibly be another reason," that made me slightly angry.

If me challenging your assumption that the only reason anyone would have a diaper out beforehand, is always, forever, and for no other reason, attention seeking, hurt your feelings, or made you feel attacked, then I'm sorry, and my point is even more made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carnifex
Ok so I have read all the feedback that you all have provided. I agree with everyone in one way or another.
Winterheart01, I can understand where you are coming from by wanting to be discreet. It can be seen as being disrespectful. I can see both sides of things. Yes there are people out there who get a rush out of people seeing their diapers which I am not a fan of. If you are trying to expose your diapers to me as a thrill forget it I do find that disrespectful.
I think Spazpiesweetot and some others feel that if you have a disability seen or unseen it is nothing to be ashamed of which she is right. A person with a disability has no need to feel ashamed to carry a diaper and supplies with them in the open if someone is offended by it that is their issue. It is not a matter of disrespect for a person to take care of nature no matter if it be with normal underwear or a diaper when it comes down to it we are all doing the same thing.
I used to be scared of what people thought I got over it and life goes on.
The posts that I have seen I have to say I am impressed we are on the same page that we usually carry a bag with us and take care of business. There are situations that you may need to just take a diaper and go change without having the bag. It can be nerve wrecking, but for example I would rather be in line to see a movie and see a person who has a diaper in hand going to the bathroom to change rather than sit next to me in a dirty diaper oh and even better have it leak on the chair and the floor while I am sitting there watching a movie.

DanielW said:
I generally carry all my supplies in a small bag, but at the same time I have zerro problems openly carrying a diaper in my hand anywhere. Its no big deal, and I have never been given any grief over it. Most of it comes down to behavior. Unless, you are shaking, sweating, jumpy or otherwise acting strangely, people aren't going to pay that much attention to you or the diaper you are carrying.

Have to agree with this 100% I think for a lot of people, it comes down to feeling as if they may draw unwanted attention to themselves. Yes, when I was wearing more often have carried supplies in a backpack, but I've gone places (like a highway rest stop) where I've simply pulled out an AB diaper, wipes and Desitin, and walked to the bathroom. Why carry in the big bag if I don't need it? People are too focused on their own thing and own life to ever notice you. And in a place like a rest stop, far from home, who cares if someone sees you? Chances are, you'll never see them again. And you know, what people are doing in the bathroom is also something most people want to keep private and not share with others anyway!

OT, but I think becoming more comfortable with this is something that happens in time for each person. I remember going to a water park at Disney, walking into what I thought was the restroom to change out of my well used (wet) diaper and into a swim diaper and swimsuit, only to realize the setup was very much like a large locker room, with larger cubicles where people were changing in and out of their bathing suits right in the open of one another, and no one was paying attention to anyone else. At first, I was too embarrassed to even consider that, but the only bathroom stalls were very small and really for a guy as tall as me, wasn't going to work. So I figured what the heck, "nobody here knows me anyway or cares" and changed in one of those cubicles. I did the same later when I was finished at the water park, and regularly several times more while visiting that summer. I cannot think of a single time when a person even bothered to watch what I was doing, or perhaps the once or twice that they did, they simply glanced at me for a moment, then went back to what they were doing. But in fairness, I'd been wearing for years at this point, too. If I was newer to the scene maybe I'd be more reluctant to be as open.

Reactions: barbiejoanne
Back