Do we really "need" diapers that can hold several liters?

I like having a diaper that can hold a lot, lasting all day for while i’m at work or over night. My go to would be BetterDry as plain white is discreet and cute to me, and I insert a XXL Northshore booster for work.

While casually out and about, or at home for the day, I wear Abena M4s which can hold about two small wettings before I need to change.

I like having the option of wearing a lighter diaper so I can change into a thick one for if i’m going to be out for an extended amount of time.

I also buy cheap Assurance Overnight pull-ups for when I'm after a shower or before changing into my overnight, etc. Easy and quick to slip on before doing anything serious.

Reactions: leftydiaperboy and Jonnythepony
Yes, they are needed. At least for me for sure. You'd be surprised by how much I can pee in a day. Lower capacity diapers simply don't cut it. They tend to leak instead. On top of that I get put in situations where changing every hour or two isn't an option so I'll have to rely on my diaper to be up to the task of holding a lot for hours on end. My shirts are long enough and a little loose so it's not like discretion is an issue regardless of what diaper I'm wearing. My insurance doesn't really cover diapers so I'd have to spend money on them either way. The premium diapers only cost a little less than the ultra premium and ultra premium wouldn't need changed as often so they're more cost effective over all and exactly what I need.

Reactions: Kimberlie, 49beachdipe and Jonnythepony
Trevor said:
Even now with the example of those high end diapers flying off the shelves, no major manufacturer has stepped up their game to offer a competing high end product. This tells me that while the market is real, it is likely not large enough to support their attention. That's what I mean by not that many actually need them. In straight numbers, I don't doubt your existence but there might not be enough of you to support the attention of a worldwide corporation.
Well like I stated previously, Abena Abrifit M4, has a high capacity at a fraction of the cost of those fancy diapers. I buy a case (42 count) for a little over $50 on Anazon. And with Prime I can get my diapers within 2 days. If you want a design on them then get stickers or strips.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen and 49beachdipe
leftydiaperboy said:
Well like I stated previously, Abena Abrifit M4, has a high capacity at a fraction of the cost of those fancy diapers. I buy a case (42 count) for a little over $50 on Anazon. And with Prime I can get my diapers within 2 days. If you want a design on them then get stickers or strips.
Those are okay but they are not in the league of a PeakABU/MegaMax or the ones immediately below it. I think that's probably more than enough for the vast majority of those dealing with incontinence but some will need more or just have to change more often.

Reactions: Jonnythepony
I love having the option. MegaMax has changed how I approach things in a great way. Do they have more capacity than "necessary"? Perhaps, but that would depend on your definition of necessary.

With MegaMax I can comfortably and confidently wear protection all day without worry of leaks, embarrassment, or frequent changes. They are thin enough (when dry) that they are discreet and have the most secure tapes of anything I've found. They have more capacity than what I usually require in a day at work, butt offer that added protection for days when more is needed. I can drink what I want when I want without having to worry. Anything that will allow me to indulge my Diet Coke habit at will and without restraint is a must have in my book. Plus I hate changing at work and dislike changing in public. Anything that will minimize that discomfort is a win.

Reactions: 49beachdipe and Jonnythepony
Right? Like, if you're aid's job is to get you out of bed, cooked breakfast, for, showered changed, dressed, and on the bus to work, and you won't see your aid again before it's time to cook your dinner and reverse the morning's process, without ultra premium, you'd be screwed.

Reactions: 49beachdipe and winterheart01
I think an over-soaked squishy disposable diaper can be fun, but it's hardly a requirement for me. I guess my only gripe would be that these absorbent components obviously add cost, and ABDL disposables are pretty expensive. I'd certainly rather have a medium-absorbency product that costs less. Unfortunately, it seems that the marketing types have fallen into that age-old rut of marketing a thing based on a number. Forget the other qualities of the product. "5000mL > 4000mL. Do the math!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Trevor
Cottontail said:
Forget the other qualities of the product. "5000mL > 4000mL. Do the math!"
But 5000 mL >> 1500 mL.

I use Northshore MegaMax. I never completely saturate them, but as I've explained before, it is exactly the other qualities of the product that lead me to buy and use them. I need a product that handles a major flood all at once, and I need a product that does not disintegrate during all-day wear. The MegaMax is the best diaper I've found for these requirements.

$2 per diaper is cheaper than three $1 diapers that disintegrate with perspiration after four hours and leave me feeling like I'm sitting on golf balls. Further, $2 for a diaper that will reliably contain a major flood is well worth it. $2 for a diaper that is much more comfortable is a bargain for me.

When the "other qualities" include overall quality, that's a good thing.

I think for some people the answer is yes (as many stated above). But for others no, the giant diaper is not necessarily needed.. just like almost everything in life, it depends

I use Megamax's for work. 8-10 hours because I usually am not comfortable having to change at work. I HAVE, but I don't like to. The only bathroom available is a multi-stall one with no trash can in the handicap stall. You have to walk out into the room to throw away the used ones.

And the answer for me is YES. I need the absorbency. I've completely filled a Megamax on a long night. I have trouble with my blood pressure dropping, so I have to eat more salt (doctor ordered!) which means I have a tendency to get dehydrated quick. So I'm constantly drinking liquid (usually water at work) and with my urgency issues that means I'm pretty much constantly peeing. :p

It's either wear diapers that are good enough to last, change in a not-very-private restroom or near constantly run to go pee and get no work done at all. :p

(If anyone was curious, I use Crinklz/Betterdry, Megamax, and I also like PeekABU's. I like the prints of ABU Preschool's but I have trouble with the tapes tearing loose. I dunno if I'm putting too much pressure on them.)

Reactions: 49beachdipe and Jonnythepony
When dealing with real runny IBS poo... I will not be in any less than 3500ml capacity nappy :/
I won't go into any more gross detail than that, but here more is more. I want that nasty thing away from my skin and it's a hard liquid to get absorbed in the first place. It's a miserable thing 😬
Having an accident like that in 2000ml nappy is Not Fun.
My go-to for this kinda protection was BetterDry. I think they run in like 4500ml territory? They have yet to fail me..!

For peeing, a high-end capacity also keeps my skin drier and I pick my nappies by that standard. I have not found any 2000-3000ml nappies which would keep my skin properly dry. Even if I change out after just two voids, it's worth it for me to avoid any rash caused by wet skin.
Best diapers to keep dry no matter if you even sit on them when wet have been so far; Betterdry/Crinklz, Barebums and Tykables. The liquid is not escaping once it's in there, unless the nappy is reeeeeeeeally over-saturated.

I might use 2000-3000ml nappies if I know I don't have to sit down and I get to change out of them before sitting. Otherwise I've found them to be unreliable. Even if they don't leak, they get my skin wet.

Its the thickness i like, nothing worse than feeling like wearing a wet soggy napkin after a few dribbles or sitting in it for an hour as the padding begins to compress!

I wet very heavily at night so need high capacity nappies unless I want to end up laying in a wet bed.

Reactions: 49beachdipe
I would rather have a barely wet Rearz than a soaked and leaking depends. Wearing diapers is not a problem. My roommate waking me up because the bed is wet is a problem.

scaifester said:
I wear premium diapers day and night so I marvel at the absorbency of some of the diapers available to us. I change 2-3 times a day. At night I wear a cloth pull-on to prevent leaks because I sleep on my side.
I am glad that today's diapers can be so absorbent because it means I can miss a change if I have to and still be ok.
However, sometimes I pause and think about whether such highly absorbent diapers are overkill.

Thoughts?
Everything depends on the need of the 'User'.
Heavy sleepers, who may void multiple times while they sleep, would certainly appreciate the capacity.
If you 'Kit-up' before heading into society, and KNOW you're going to urinate a couple of times before making it back home?

Yes, high-capacity magazines,,, uh,,, wait...

:)

High-capacity diapers have their uses.

I definitely need a high capacity diaper when I go to bed every night because I am totally bladder and bowel incontinent and any low capacity diaper would definitely leak during my sleep.

I'm a heavy wetter so I need all the absorbency I can get
plus I like the feel of a bulky diaper
👶

I keep a variety of different diapers in my stock, I have many high absorbent diapers such as the abu ultra line, tykables overnights, northshore megamax and crinklz. I generally wear these as overnight diapers or when we'll be out of the house on trips / errands and such, were a change is not always guaranteed.
I also keep a large stock a medium endurance diapers, ones that will generally get me between 4-8hrs of coverage depending on the situation, these diapers include abu kiddo's, tykables waddler version 2 (discontinued :( ) bambino bellesimo and stretch ultra's. I like these because I can be confident they will get the job done but I can also have changes without wasting a premium product, this is good for skin health and well the other benefit is getting a few diaper changes through out the day.
Last week I was out running errands by myself, at first I was just going to wear the standard kiddo with the intentions that if I did need a change I have a diaper bag in my car so I could find a private area and take care of business, but for what ever the reason I choose to wear a peekaboo at the last minute, I guess I have good karma still because while out I ended up have to make a few extra stops and since it was very hot and I was staying hydrated, nature was calling more frequently. When I got home I had some very saggy underpants and even my other half was kind of shocked, I got changed and life was happy again. There is no doubt that if I wore something "lighter" I would have needed new shorts and possibly written an embarrassing story about my day out.

Reactions: TyphaHare
It’s definitely not a necessity, but I do prefer the ultra capacity diapers myself. Gives the option of extended wear/capacity when needed and nobody’s stopping you from changing before it’s reached 150% capacity lol

Reactions: Kimberlie
I wear the highest capacity diapers I can afford that last 5 hours without a leak. This is extremely important for managing my IC. Because I wet a lot and don't have a lot of time to change, I need a premium medical diaper. My insurance does not pay for diapers and most of the ABDL diapers are out of my price range.

It does irritate me that most of major european companies that used to sell high quality diapers in the US at a decent price (Abena, Molicare, Tena, etc.) now sell products that are lower in quality. The rest of the US medical market is dominated by really bad products. And, again the ABDL diapers are very good, but they are stupid expensive. I'd still go through 4 a day so the higher absorbencies don't sway me much. Everyone is out to make a buck while the people that actually need a regular supply of quality diapers suffer.

Reactions: TyphaHare and Jonnythepony
Back