Do we really "need" diapers that can hold several liters?

I definitely need diapers that hold a large amount for things such as long trips and sleeping. If I’m going to be within distance of a bathroom, I can get away with something way less absorbant

Me, I'm a heavy wetter and I also occasionally poop (although if a bathroom were reasonably accessible - which it most often is NOT at our current place of residence - hubby and I would both prefer that I use the toilet instead of my diaper to poop) so hubby and I both prefer that I wear what he calls industrial (ie, premium or ultrapremium) diapers. For now this mostly applies to max-absorbency medical pull-ups (which we prefer to call diapers for convenience's sake) but we recently ran out of the supply we did have, so for the rest of the month we're stuck with moderate absorbency pull-ups :( those are TERRIBLE for nighttime when I can't risk waking him every few hours to ask for a fresh one. And presently we are both having trouble sleeping anyway so it's even worse. Being that it's summertime it is VERY hot where we live and when I cannot sleep I am constantly sitting up on our king-size futon to grab a swig of cola which dehydrates me and worsens my sleeplessness as well as making for a soaked pull-up, pants and sometimes even the bed by morning. When I get the funds hubby has approved of me beginning to buy AB diapers. I will end up trying several brands but currently I have my eye on the Cushies and Super Dry Kids by ABU in particular...hmmmm....A mixed case of those two, 40 of each, would probably be the absolute stuff of dreams in more ways than one, in my opinion.

memorychick said:
Me, I'm a heavy wetter and I also occasionally poop (although if a bathroom were reasonably accessible - which it most often is NOT at our current place of residence - hubby and I would both prefer that I use the toilet instead of my diaper to poop) so hubby and I both prefer that I wear what he calls industrial (ie, premium or ultrapremium) diapers. For now this mostly applies to max-absorbency medical pull-ups (which we prefer to call diapers for convenience's sake) but we recently ran out of the supply we did have, so for the rest of the month we're stuck with moderate absorbency pull-ups :( those are TERRIBLE for nighttime when I can't risk waking him every few hours to ask for a fresh one. And presently we are both having trouble sleeping anyway so it's even worse. Being that it's summertime it is VERY hot where we live and when I cannot sleep I am constantly sitting up on our king-size futon to grab a swig of cola which dehydrates me and worsens my sleeplessness as well as making for a soaked pull-up, pants and sometimes even the bed by morning. When I get the funds hubby has approved of me beginning to buy AB diapers. I will end up trying several brands but currently I have my eye on the Cushies and Super Dry Kids by ABU in particular...hmmmm....A mixed case of those two, 40 of each, would probably be the absolute stuff of dreams in more ways than one, in my opinion.
If you’re on a budget, may I recommend crinklz? I’m IC and on a college-student-just-above-minimum-wage budget and those have done me so well, the most bang for my buck. Of course, once in a while I splurge for more premium brands, but crinklz is my every night.

After thinking about my original question, I have to agree with many of you.
The peace of mind with wearing a premium diaper that can hold liters is substantial. The absorbency is excessive however I feel drier and more secure than a diaper that can barely get the job done.

scaifester said:
The absorbency is excessive however I feel drier and more secure than a diaper that can barely get the job done.
I think that there is more to absorbency than just raw numbers. You say that the absorbency is "excessive", but then state that you feel more secure. I would suggest that the absorbency is just right in that case. Absorbency is to us like currency is to daily life. You can get by with the bare minimum...but the extra capital provides a buffer that is almost essential.

Reactions: Jonnythepony
I definitely need a super-capacity diaper for my bedwetting.

WIth anything but the highest capacity Tena, Molicare or Abena diaper, I have a wet spot on the sheets under the diaper almost every morning and a wet spot to my knees and chest about half the time. That's almost as bad as not having a diaper at all. Several times a month, I wet heavily enough to simply overwhelm a lower-capacity diaper. That is worse than not having a diaper at all, particularly for my wife!

I even overwhelm a super-capacity diaper once or twice a year, but almost never have a wet spot otherwise. Even when I overwhelm a super-capacity, the wet spot is confined to a bed pad.

As someone who has total loss of bladder control, I need a very absorbent disposable as i can pas anything from a few mill to 600 mil at a time, if I'm on the bus or train or even walking around time it can be some time before i find a suitable place to change and by then I can pass another 600ml or so. so yes we do need nappies that can hold several litres

The more the better in certain circumstances, and this is my reason. Once about 10 years ago i was on a mountaintop doing maintenance on a communication site and i was wearing a Tena super plus, now keep in mind that it was winter at 6500’ altitude a bit of wind blowing and i leaked bad and my snow suit got extremely cold nowhere to hide because I’m up the tower and by the time I got down 3 hours later i was vibrating...
Our sites are helicopter access and nowhere to change especially in the winter time !!! So i froze my nuts off for the first time and the last time with my rant been said sometime more absorbency is better!
Cheers

I've been thinking about this more and more, when I see that a diaper can hold <4500ml I think that my first few wettings are going to be ok and the diaper will maintain its dry feeling, rather then become a sopping wet sponge of gel (which I also like) that doesn't leak.
I'm starting to turn the curve a little and like the dry feeling of diapers, like its ok to be wet, but you still feel dry relatively speaking and these larger capacity diapers do that.

pampers4U said:
I've been thinking about this more and more, when I see that a diaper can hold <4500ml I think that my first few wettings are going to be ok and the diaper will maintain its dry feeling, rather then become a sopping wet sponge of gel (which I also like) that doesn't leak.
I'm starting to turn the curve a little and like the dry feeling of diapers, like its ok to be wet, but you still feel dry relatively speaking and these larger capacity diapers do that.
No diaper can hold 4500ml. The capacity values are the theoretical maximum of the absorbent material. In reality every diaper will leak way before that, simply because the area where the urine hits the diaper is completely saturated and can't be distributed fast enough into the upper areas that still have capacity. The bigger the voiding, the higher the chance of a leak - even if there is more than enough capacity left.
In my worst times I had a bladder volume of up to 800ml. Even in the premium range it was hard to find a diaper that could safely soak away one wetting, even harder to find one that could deal with two. Even than I had to stand up when I noticed the voiding at the second time or it would just shoot out the cuffs. Things have become WAY better and safer now that I'm down to 300ml(rarely 500ml) again. I reach a higher capacity with more smaller voidings. Most high capacity diapers soak safely up to 1200-1500ml and very few products manage to get up to 2000ml in normal life. That is ofc when your bladder empties itself completely. Maybe if you constantly drip you reach higher values. Also a diaper that holds 2000ml really begs to be changed - from the gravitational pull alone...

But to come back to the original question. Yes we need them.
I need them for sure. To have a dry bed in the morning and to be able to pass 12 hours in one diaper since I must avoid changing at work.

Cheers

I have found that store brands (read cheaper) can vary in capacity, but it is not just capacity that is important to me, it has to have absorbency as well, they are very different. A nappy capable of holding a litre in the crotch is great but try walking with it, there action of your thighs passing over the bulk can squeeze the padding so the leak at the lower leg openings. Purchase a nappy that has good absorbency and a high percentage will wick very quickly toward the rear, IMO much safer and less chance of leaks.

LifeInPlastic said:
No diaper can hold 4500ml. The capacity values are the theoretical maximum of the absorbent material. In reality every diaper will leak way before that, simply because the area where the urine hits the diaper is completely saturated and can't be distributed fast enough into the upper areas that still have capacity. The bigger the voiding, the higher the chance of a leak - even if there is more than enough capacity left.
In my worst times I had a bladder volume of up to 800ml. Even in the premium range it was hard to find a diaper that could safely soak away one wetting, even harder to find one that could deal with two. Even than I had to stand up when I noticed the voiding at the second time or it would just shoot out the cuffs. Things have become WAY better and safer now that I'm down to 300ml(rarely 500ml) again. I reach a higher capacity with more smaller voidings. Most high capacity diapers soak safely up to 1200-1500ml and very few products manage to get up to 2000ml in normal life. That is ofc when your bladder empties itself completely. Maybe if you constantly drip you reach higher values. Also a diaper that holds 2000ml really begs to be changed - from the gravitational pull alone...

But to come back to the original question. Yes we need them.
I need them for sure. To have a dry bed in the morning and to be able to pass 12 hours in one diaper since I must avoid changing at work.

Cheers
Yeah no kidding, I think your taking this to literal, no diaper will hold over 1.3 gal, but the higher absorbency means more of a drier time the first few wettings

bounduptoplease said:
I have found that store brands (read cheaper) can vary in capacity, but it is not just capacity that is important to me, it has to have absorbency as well, they are very different. A nappy capable of holding a litre in the crotch is great but try walking with it, there action of your thighs passing over the bulk can squeeze the padding so the leak at the lower leg openings. Purchase a nappy that has good absorbency and a high percentage will wick very quickly toward the rear, IMO much safer and less chance of leaks.
And if you have a good wetting while lying down you get better use out of the back half of your nappy, as well.

Reactions: bounduptoplease
Yes i need them. A crazy absorbent diaper isnt intented to actually hold its stated capacity but rather to just about guarantee no leaks.

Rearz barnyards seem like overkill but to me they just pretty much guarantee i wont leak in bed.

Same with better dry, my daytime diaper. The high absorbency means I'm not going to have piss soaked pants at work...i have no intention of pushing them to their limit but i know they will easily handle any accidents i have.

Reactions: TyphaHare, KitsuneFox and ChocChip
in real life use, they do not hold 7 liters ... not even close to that number.

I love high capacity diapers ... they hold up well if my bladder voids, and are are great containing my bladder leaks.
I only need 2 diapers per day right now ... one for daytime, one for night time .

Last edited:
Reactions: ltaluv
When I use a high capacity one it's because I'm in the mood to wet myself often during the day and a nice heavy nappy/diaper feels great when it's getting full.

Reactions: TyphaHare and ChocChip
Yes! We need high capacity diapers. Personally I dislike changing my diaper more than 3 times a day. I would even like a 1 diaper per day if they got good enough at neutralizing urine and odors.

Reactions: ChocChip
scaifester said:
I wear premium diapers day and night so I marvel at the absorbency of some of the diapers available to us. I change 2-3 times a day. At night I wear a cloth pull-on to prevent leaks because I sleep on my side.
I am glad that today's diapers can be so absorbent because it means I can miss a change if I have to and still be ok.
However, sometimes I pause and think about whether such highly absorbent diapers are overkill.

Thoughts?
Overkill, no. Those 3000+ml ratings are an ISO rating, not real world. Real world is I need something that can absorb 1000+ml over 8+ hours as I sleep on my side- AND still not leak. So far, betterdry/crinklz has been the ONLY disposable that was up to this task, and even then just barely. Not even megamax can do that for me (due to its no-lower-tapes design). So overkill? Not even close. Needed more likely.

Guys, the North Shore Care Megamax and the Rearz Inspire +In Control diapers both absorb 6 or more liters in standardized tests. However, do not confuse maximum absorbent capacity with useable capacity. As Slomo has indicated, the maximum absorbent capacity is measured in standardized ISO tests, not real-world situations. "Useable" capacity is a variable as it is situational, depending on the diaper itself (i.e., leak guards, SAP vs fluff, etc.), your body position when wetting, whether you dribble or flood, how active you are, etc.

In my experience the useable capacity is about 30% of the maximum capacity for medium quality diapers and closer to 35% for premium diapers. An increase in the maximum absorbent capacity usually will increase the useable capacity in a good diaper. This increased capacity is especially useful for those of us who continue wearing a night diaper before going to bed and after awakening (10-11 hours) or for long road trips to avoid having to change at highway rest stops.

I used cases of the Megamax and the Rearz Inspire +In control diapers and know them very well.

--John
(double incontinent)

Reactions: Jonnythepony
JD, it’s good to see that you are contributing to the forum again. I’ve missed your insightful comments.

Reactions: Jonnythepony and jdinvirginia
Back