Do today's diapers plastic still match those from the 1980-90's

LittleMissPink

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
So I was looking at photos of old nappies from like the 1980-90s and I noticed that the plastic appears different. It looks shinny(er) somehow I don't know how to describe it. Especially in the first image.
But it got me thinking with the ABU SDK, would people say that the outer shell plastic is exactly like this one from 1998 in terms of plastic? Because it looks a little different from the photos.

There are just so many types I've realized trying so many different diapers. Like the ABU range plastic feels different to Crinklz, Crinklz feels different to Little For Big, Little For Big, feels different to Dotty Diapers, Dotty Diapers feel different to NappiesRus and a few other brands (like molicare etc) feel different again. So it's hard to tell if they are like what was around back then.

Even the rearz plain white one feels different again and claims to have some "Thick Vintage style PE backing that has not been seen in at least 20 years", can anyone tell me from their experience if it is actually like the 1990's plastic wise? I wouldn't know.
Just been curious how diapers have actually changed over the years and would greatly appreciate some help from people who might know. Thanks.

Attachments

• Pampers_1998.jpg
    Pampers_1998.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Pampers_1998_1.jpg
    Pampers_1998_1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Pampers_1998_2.jpg
    Pampers_1998_2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: TheWaddlingDad
No it is not even close. Todays is "plastic" treated paper stuff.

Oh...that's disappointing :( I also found these from 1982, They look so much shiny(er). I have no idea why. Would of been interesting to try.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 27
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    216 KB · Views: 29
Even comparing an SDK to its inspiration, the plastic looks and feels different and not for the better. We have wonderful ABDL diapers now but some of the finer points got lost along the way.

it's because of improving tech in this day and age

Like most "new and improved" things today's diapers adult and baby suck compared to their early 90s counterparts. The earlier paper paper fluff, no SAP folded rectangle disposables weren't too great either.

The version 1 of the SDK's (under the old, less reliable owner of ABU) had MUCH better, shinier, and crinklier plastic. The new version is awful in every way. I'll never order again. I think Rearz Safari's, as well as the DC diapers are as close as I've come to replicating the plastic on the vintage diapers. SO crinkly -- I love it!

I bet today's plastic is more eco friendly. But I would love a big version of 1987 pampers or huggies.

Reactions: PlastiBrain
The only plastic backed nappy I feel that comes close to the 90's style plastic used on baby nappies is the ones used on the Drylife Super Slip. It has that same super smooth feel and has a great crinkle, not overly loud but you know you're wearing under loose clothing.
I wish Nappies R Us would make a ABDL style nappy using the same plastic.
Today's ABDL nappies just don't feel the same as I remember. Although they're getting close, I'll be intrigued to feel how the new Rearz Dino nappy will feel like, supposed to have a new super soft and smooth plastic. I'll wait to hear the reviews on them.

Reactions: crooke3
As someone who was “there” at the time,
I can tell you that, like adult nappies today, different brands had different types and thicknesses of plastic back then.

The ABDL nappies (that are nearly all made in China) simulate the thickness and even the look of some, but the plastic does not match at all.

Other, less absorbent adult nappies match the old 80s and 90s nappies much better.

The Molicare Maxi is definitely one of the smoothest plastics and is very evocative of some of the own-brand nappies available in the UK and Europe at that time.

Dry life Slip Super and Betterdry are not quite as soft but are still smooth and also simulate some own-brand nappies that were available then.

The Abena L4 and to a certain extent the Tena Slip Ultima (Active Fit) and European Attends Regular Plus evoke the plastic backing of Peaudouce nappies.

The ATN briefs and the (now-defunct) Attends Waistband-Style from the US have EXACTLY the same plastic that Ultra Pampers had in Europe.

So the bottom line is that if you want to recreate the authentic feeling of plastic nappies from that time and can live without the prints, then stay away from the Chinese stuff and try the different US and European medical nappies and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Although it doesn’t have a waistband, the Abena L4 recreates for me the feeling of the Peaudouce Child Size nappies that I wore to bed until I was nearly 4. Everything apart from the looks.

The feel, the thickness, the fit, the wicking so that the back of the nappy is wet in the morning- it’s all there.

It sucks because nearly all those types you mention are not avaliable in Australia. Well Abena is but they went "cloth" backed a few years ago. So that was my only chance gone.
I don't care about the prints as much plain white is fine for me.
Thank you for your input too it helps to hear someone's perspective from the time.
Just a question on the Betterdry, that is in fact avaliable here in Australia and I have used them but not sure what you mean by "own-brand nappies".
Plus I feel the plastic is too thin and you can't reposition the tabs like other ones so they're not my favourite but it's interesting to know they're similar to some 90's nappies.

Back