Do bamboo cotton pre folds for adults exist?

rothpirate

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I have one that came as a stuffer with ecoables, but it is not big enough to use by itself. I have organic cotton prefolds from leakmaster but the bamboo is really soft. Does anybody sell a bamboo prefold for adults? I feel like these would sell well.

Reactions: oldskool
Good question. I too have the organic cotton prefolds sold by Adult Cloth Diaper. We have bamboo cloths at home and they are very soft. I know they exist for babies, but not sure about adults.

rothpirate said:
Does anybody sell a bamboo prefold for adults? I feel like these would sell well.
Oh man, I've been saying the same thing for years. Lately I've been looking for a source of fabric so that I can sew my own, and in fact I just ordered a couple bags of KangaCare toddler prefolds to scavenge fabric from. We'll see how that goes. (I've scavenged fabric from other baby cloth diapers and it's a PITA.) The bamboo/cotton twill fabric is basically unobtainium in the US. Even the 100% cotton stuff is difficult to find. I'm willing to believe it's buried somewhere on Alibaba, but Alibaba's search engine is barely functional and so many product listings are just plain wrong. I've ordered dozens of sample swatches and nothing's been close. I've also reached out to the textile factories in Pakistan where most of these prefolds are made (Ashar, Rehbar Majeed, etc.), but have been politely told that they will neither sell fabric nor advise me on where to obtain it. Not surprising but still disappointing.

Anyway, I love the stuff. I have quite a few bamboo/cotton baby prefolds in my stash that I use for boosters, and they're heavenly--so soft. Pins just glide through that stuff too.

In the meantime, I've mostly been making my prefolds from bamboo muslin (double gauze). It's extremely soft to start with, but it has a tendency to pill (develop little lint-balls all over it), so over time the texture loses its appeal. Still, they're very absorbent.

Liddlefoot said:
I have one of these which is why I asked, the width on the largest is 21inches. They are meant to go in the pocket diapers.

She could make you one.

I know it's not directly what was asked for, but ecoAble has fitted cloth diapers which are quite comfortable in my opinion. I think the prefolds being discussed here would be for classic pin-on diapers, right?

Therin said:
I know it's not directly what was asked for, but ecoAble has fitted cloth diapers which are quite comfortable in my opinion. I think the prefolds being discussed here would be for classic pin-on diapers, right?
I have about 6 of those and they are nice, but pre-folds are great at night

Liddlefoot said:
She could make you one.
The challenge is not "bamboo" in general, but rather replicating the feel of a baby diaper made overseas using fabric not readily available (or available at all) in the US. "Bamboo" does not describe a particular fabric of course, but rather a type of fiber. It's used to make all kinds of knits, twills, gauzes, etc., and they all feel quite different. I've made bamboo prefolds using jersey (basically t-shirt material), French terry (with the loops facing inward), and Zorb. Those are some examples of diaper(-suitable) bamboo fabrics easily obtained from US distributors. They all performed well, but the feels of these are certainly quite different from the baby kind, so as exercises in replicating baby diapers they were all failures.

Still searching...

Last edited:
rothpirate said:
I have about 6 of those and they are nice, but pre-folds are great at night
Would you be willing to share a compare/contrast versus the fitted diapers? Is it the fit, the bulk, the nostalgia, or something else that makes them great for you? Genuinely curious since I have no experience with pre-folds. :)

Therin said:
Would you be willing to share a compare/contrast versus the fitted diapers? Is it the fit, the bulk, the nostalgia, or something else that makes them great for you? Genuinely curious since I have no experience with pre-folds. :)
I have nerve damage to my bladder, I am switching mostly to cloth from disposables. I think Ecoables has the best system going.

rothpirate said:
I have nerve damage to my bladder, I am switching mostly to cloth from disposables. I think Ecoables has the best system going.
I really like the quality of ecoAble's products and they seem to care about their customers. What I was trying to ask was what you like about pre-folds over the fitted cloth diapers?

I think prefolds hold more at night, my nightly output varies from 30 to 80 oz because of a rare condition.

Reactions: Therin
I have not seen any prefold bamboo diapers, though InControl does carry bamboo gauze flat diapers that are nice to triple layer and pin on. Feel insanely soft and smooth to the touch.

If you are going to use a pocket diaper or need a stuffer, my favorite are the XL Hemp-Cotton Fleece trifolds from Geffen Baby.

Reactions: rothpirate
Back